Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Forwarding Mail from USA using USPS

Forwarding Mail from USA using USPS

Old Oct 29th 2015, 4:03 am
Just Joined

lundoner is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Forwarding Mail from USA using USPS

I will be moving back to the UK within the next month from the US. I wanted to see if anyone had used USPS service for forwarding their mail from USA to the UK. On the USPS website it does not let you enter any international address for forwarding mail. Does that mean I have to go to my local Post office here and fill out a form? If so what is the charge?
Old Oct 29th 2015, 10:01 am
Forum Regular

Dundee15 is a name known to allDundee15 is a name known to allDundee15 is a name known to allDundee15 is a name known to allDundee15 is a name known to allDundee15 is a name known to allDundee15 is a name known to allDundee15 is a name known to allDundee15 is a name known to allDundee15 is a name known to allDundee15 is a name known to all
Default Re: Forwarding Mail from USA using USPS

We are having our mail forwarded to us from US. We had to go to our local USPS and complete a form. Like you we could not complete the online form as it did not allow for a International address.

We have been getting our mail from our old address in Boston sent to us here is Scotland since April 2015. The USPS will forward mail for 12 months at no cost. I think the local USPS collect the mail and send it every few weeks as we can go for 14+ days with nothing from US then we will get a few pieces of mail altogether.
Old Oct 29th 2015, 12:56 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dundee15
We are having our mail forwarded to us from US. We had to go to our local USPS and complete a form. Like you we could not complete the online form as it did not allow for a International address.

We have been getting our mail from our old address in Boston sent to us here is Scotland since April 2015. The USPS will forward mail for 12 months at no cost. I think the local USPS collect the mail and send it every few weeks as we can go for 14+ days with nothing from US then we will get a few pieces of mail altogether.
If it's not a rude question , may I ask what the USPS charge is for forwarding mail? I'm interested because I was going to do the same through Australia Post here, but the annual charge was just short of AU$1,000.

So instead, I just redirected my mail to my sister's address, which is also in Perth WA. AU$99 a year., and she can just forward on anything vital. I think I've notified everyone I need to of my change of address, but there are always a few orphans!
Old Oct 29th 2015, 1:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

britwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond repute

We've been having our mail forwarded from the US to the UK. Had to go into the post office and complete the form. Managed to fit a UK address into the US address format...all very confusing but the mail is getting here. They will forward it for a year (as Dundee15 said) for free. Didn't have to pay anything.
Old Oct 29th 2015, 1:09 pm
Forum Regular

Dundee15 is a name known to allDundee15 is a name known to allDundee15 is a name known to allDundee15 is a name known to allDundee15 is a name known to allDundee15 is a name known to allDundee15 is a name known to allDundee15 is a name known to allDundee15 is a name known to allDundee15 is a name known to allDundee15 is a name known to all

There was no charge to forward the mail from Boston to Scotland. They forward the mail for 1 year.
Old Oct 29th 2015, 1:12 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

There was no charge to forward the mail from Boston to Scotland. They forward the mail for 1 year.
Sorry, I missed the 'no cost' bit in your first post. Free vs $1,000 - wow! The mail forwarded from Australia must get its own first class suite
Old Oct 29th 2015, 1:14 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by britwhore
We've been having our mail forwarded from the US to the UK. Had to go into the post office and complete the form. Managed to fit a UK address into the US address format...all very confusing but the mail is getting here. They will forward it for a year (as Dundee15 said) for free. Didn't have to pay anything.
Great service Brit, and you can't complain about the price! I know Oz is a bit further than the US, but gawd we get ripped off on so many things here.
Old Oct 29th 2015, 1:17 pm
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

I have my mail forwarded to Canada every spring by USPS. Go to your Post Office and get the moving pack. It's a large white envelope which contains coupons from such people as U haul. It has a facility for international addresses. Do not use the single form re-director. This has been discussed several times over the years on this forum.
Old Oct 29th 2015, 1:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

britwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond repute

An amazing service indeed but doesn't help with the USPS going broke! Whoops!
Old Oct 29th 2015, 1:40 pm
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

They are "going broke" because the Republicans are forcing them to fund the pension plan 75 years in advance to the tune of $5.5 billion a year or more !
Old Oct 29th 2015, 1:40 pm
Concierge

Oh dear! Australia Post was fully government owned, but like so many others it's been (partly) sold off to the highest bidder. No wonder things cost so much - I HATE privatization of government assets.
Old Oct 29th 2015, 1:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Simon Legree
They are "going broke" because the Republicans are forcing them to fund the pension plan 75 years in advance to the tune of $5.5 billion a year or more !
That's crazy!
Old Oct 29th 2015, 3:54 pm
Just Joined

lundoner is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the replies, Good to know its free. But did anyone find the US mailing system complicated and overpriced compared to Royal Mail and also terribly slow?
Old Oct 29th 2015, 4:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

I find the Royal Mail terribly expensive compared to USPS.
Old Oct 29th 2015, 4:54 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
If it's not a rude question , may I ask what the USPS charge is for forwarding mail? I'm interested because I was going to do the same through Australia Post here, but the annual charge was just short of AU$1,000.
That's a lot! The equivalent service Canada to the UK with Canada Post was C$240 for 12 months. So far (started July 2015) it's worked well.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.