Flying back in December

Old Nov 27th 2002, 9:27 pm

Herman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud of

Originally posted by Ceri
Hi,
I think that people from Britain are the majority of new migrants here, they out number people who emigrate from Asian countries, although these are pretty high on the list of new immigrants too . Correct me if I'm wrong anyone please, perhaps N.Zealand's out weigh Brit's here.

I can only speak for myself, but I came to Australia instead of going back to Britain. Prior to Australia I was in Singapore, I got a bit fed up of that after 5 years. A job was offered here in Australia, I wasn't even looking to come to Aus. I thought Oh well, let's check out Australia, instead getting a transfer back home. I had a few Aussie mates in Singapore and they were always telling me how great it was, lovely weather, good lifestyle, etc, etc. So that's how I got here, I wasn't actually looking for a better lifestyle, my home is in Wales, and always will be. I've been out of the country for almost 11 years now (except holidays back home now and a again) , but certainly I have never had any intentions of permanent living in another country.

I personally, didn't leave Wales in the first place for a better lifestyle, there was nothing wrong with the lifestyle I had back home. I left because It was a very good job on offer in Singapore, too good to refuse, expat package, plus I enjoy travelling, seeing the world.

So it was by mistake which I came here, bad mistake at that too It just isn't for me Australia I should have gone back to Asia, which I had a chance to do a couple of years ago, but I refused it.

Anyway I'm one person who is not going to stay here long term (I've been here nearly 6 years), besides I have too many commitments back home. Anyway, it was just with work is the reason I'm here, I never did intend to come here, or even think of coming to Australia until it was offered.

I can only go on the people I know , and why they want to come to Australia, they think it does not have the same problems as Britain, Canada etc. I know a lot of Brit's are a bit p*ssed of with things like the state of the Health service and house prices etc, but they don't seem to realise Australia has very similar problems, some worse , some better. It's just Australia is portrayed as this "wonderful" country by stupid soap TV like "neighbours" and such. I think it's a lot of people looking for this great sunny place to bring up their kids safely.. when fact Aus is no safer than Britain.

Everyone is different I suppose, some come here because they think the lifestyle might suit them, some because of marriage, others like myself it was through work.
Cheers

:P.S Jeannie, and steve

yes that friends reunited site is supposed to be huge in Britain.. with reunions and things. I went through my school class.. it certainly jogged a few memories . my partner signed up a couple of months back, put his name on there, and had an email off my partners long lost mate who's in Cyprus... so it does work for some.
My last post was a bit factual, I think got into report writing mode, apologies! It certainly shows that although we poms think we make up a significant proportion of new settlers here, thats not the case. I would have made the same comment as you until we did this research. I guess what it does'nt show is that Australia is swarming with British on working holiday visas, so there are always plenty here. But most just come for a while and don't settle permantly, unlike those from Asian countries.

All my old school friends organised a reunion via friends reunited and apparently it was a blast. Unfortunately we were in Sydney and could'nt justify the cost of flying home for it. I'm told it was so funny how in the 12 years since we finished school some had not changed at all and others were unrecognisable. One guy who was always skinny and baby faced turned up bold, sporting a giant beer belly and copious photos of his 5 kids (not bad for a 31 year old). The ravages of time eh!

Anyway, better do some work as this afternoon we've got a corporate sailing day here in Sydney harbour. Australia certainly has its advantages sometimes!
Old Nov 27th 2002, 10:34 pm
Forum Regular

SteveHarris has a brilliant futureSteveHarris has a brilliant futureSteveHarris has a brilliant futureSteveHarris has a brilliant futureSteveHarris has a brilliant futureSteveHarris has a brilliant future

Hi,

I'm interested in what problems people think Canada has - it's been mentioned in a few posts here - I'm don't want to start a flame war here I'm just interested in what people think ?

Cheers - Steve (Currently in Canada)

Originally posted by sbasak
Earlier I used to think only people from poor countries eg. India, China etc. want to migrate to Australia, Canada etc. But it really amazed me to discover that even people from UK want to live in these places for better standard of living or lifestyle!!!
Old Nov 28th 2002, 11:57 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally posted by Herman
My last post was a bit factual, I think got into report writing mode, apologies! It certainly shows that although we poms think we make up a significant proportion of new settlers here, thats not the case. I would have made the same comment as you until we did this research. I guess what it does'nt show is that Australia is swarming with British on working holiday visas, so there are always plenty here. But most just come for a while and don't settle permantly, unlike those from Asian countries.

All my old school friends organised a reunion via friends reunited and apparently it was a blast. Unfortunately we were in Sydney and could'nt justify the cost of flying home for it. I'm told it was so funny how in the 12 years since we finished school some had not changed at all and others were unrecognisable. One guy who was always skinny and baby faced turned up bold, sporting a giant beer belly and copious photos of his 5 kids (not bad for a 31 year old). The ravages of time eh!

Anyway, better do some work as this afternoon we've got a corporate sailing day here in Sydney harbour. Australia certainly has its advantages sometimes!
So in fact compared to Asia and The pacific Islands (including NZ) , Brit's are quite low in the list. I remember seeing a list of figures a while back, and Britain was up the top, as you say they must have included the tourist and temp visas in the list which I saw. I always thought Brit's were up the top That's a bit of surprise. I knew the Americans would be low in the figures though, they don't seem to emigrate to other countries much.

Yes, my old school is doing a reunion too, early next year, I obviously can't go though.
cheers

Last edited by Ceri; Nov 28th 2002 at 12:10 pm.
Old Nov 28th 2002, 12:08 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally posted by SteveHarris
Hi,

I'm interested in what problems people think Canada has - it's been mentioned in a few posts here - I'm don't want to start a flame war here I'm just interested in what people think ?

Cheers - Steve (Currently in Canada)
I would think Canada has probably the same problems as most western countries : Drugs, crime, health services prob's... the usual, same as Britain,same as France, Germany, Australia. etc, etc.. similar probs, similar gripes with people (???)

-----------

P.S ... Do the Canadian police carry guns?(The average copper on the street, not the special units etc) Or is it like Britain, the Bobby on the street is not armed with a gun?

cheers
Old Nov 29th 2002, 2:16 am
Just Joined

Spindleman will become famous soon enoughSpindleman will become famous soon enough

Ceri....yes Canada has its share of the usual stuff.. crime, drugs, welfare etc.. mostly in the big cities like Vancouver Toronto etc.
but we have our share of it...as for the Police,.. all Police in Canada are armed....OPP (Ontario provincial police) and Local... Canada is a fine country to live in, but it is Massive in size...so if you need to travel it is usually a long haul....I live in souther Ontario, and if I decided on a trip
to say Vancouver it would take me about 5 days to drive it...approx
7500 Kms.... the only thing I despise here is the cold Brrr hate it LOL.
My wife and I have been here for 28 years our 2 sons have grown and gone to live their own lives..so we have decided to go back to the UK for a few years.We hope to be back before Summer 2003....we have many reasons for our decision...but like one of the last posters stated....
"it is our decision"

Good luck to everyone

Old Nov 29th 2002, 11:26 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Originally posted by Spindleman
Ceri....yes Canada has its share of the usual stuff.. crime, drugs, welfare etc.. mostly in the big cities like Vancouver Toronto etc.
but we have our share of it...as for the Police,.. all Police in Canada are armed....OPP (Ontario provincial police) and Local... Canada is a fine country to live in, but it is Massive in size...so if you need to travel it is usually a long haul....I live in souther Ontario, and if I decided on a trip
to say Vancouver it would take me about 5 days to drive it...approx
7500 Kms.... the only thing I despise here is the cold Brrr hate it LOL.
My wife and I have been here for 28 years our 2 sons have grown and gone to live their own lives..so we have decided to go back to the UK for a few years.We hope to be back before Summer 2003....we have many reasons for our decision...but like one of the last posters stated....
"it is our decision"

Good luck to everyone

I always thought canadian police like Britain did not carry guns. So my next question is: what country, like Britain, do the police not carry guns?
or is Britain the only one in todays world?
interesting. (I'm very anti-gun)

And I don't mean the special police, Britain when called to a hold up.. the special units are armed... I'm talking about the patrol police, the bobby, the police on the street.

P.s.. I think when it comes down to it... it is where your heart is, the feeling of home... hard to explain. But I suppose you probably feel the same way about England that I feel about wales, I'm assuming you're from England, sorry if this is wrong, but you know what I mean... whether it's Scotland, N.Ireland, England or Wales.

Cheers

Last edited by Ceri; Nov 29th 2002 at 11:31 am.
Old Nov 30th 2002, 3:02 am
BE Enthusiast

jeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant future

Originally posted by SteveHarris
Sorry I don't - there's lots of us around. I think www.friendsreunited.co.uk is a great idea to start looking. It's amazing how many people you find on there that you'd forgotten about completely.

Cheers - Steve

Thanks will give it a go !!!!!!!
Old Nov 30th 2002, 5:56 am
BE Enthusiast

jeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant future

Originally posted by jeannie
Thanks will give it a go !!!!!!!

Gave it a go I'TS FAB THANKS AGAIN !!!!!!!
Old Dec 7th 2002, 5:21 am
Forum Regular

SteveHarris has a brilliant futureSteveHarris has a brilliant futureSteveHarris has a brilliant futureSteveHarris has a brilliant futureSteveHarris has a brilliant futureSteveHarris has a brilliant future

The police on the beat carry guns here - but certainly in Victoria at least there seems a lot less trouble than I used to encounter in the UK.

Seems to be much more tolerance here - can't speak for the rest of Canada though.
Originally posted by Ceri
I would think Canada has probably the same problems as most western countries : Drugs, crime, health services prob's... the usual, same as Britain,same as France, Germany, Australia. etc, etc.. similar probs, similar gripes with people (???)

-----------

P.S ... Do the Canadian police carry guns?(The average copper on the street, not the special units etc) Or is it like Britain, the Bobby on the street is not armed with a gun?

cheers
Old Dec 27th 2002, 5:35 pm
Nicki

Thumbs up

Hi I live in BC. I know what you mean about swimming against the tide in Canada. I am happy to be here and I don't want to return to England, but the culture is different for sure. I agree with you. The attitudes tend to be less progressive in N. America and there tends to be less knowledge of the world or what's going on in it, so conversations tend to be about the weather or activities in Canada, which is okay, but can be isolating if you need something a little moer controversial.
Iguess now I go with the tide and I have accepted the Canadian indifference; perhaps that's part of Canada's charm: indifference. You can really not have an opinion about anything and that is okay.
Having said that, I do like to chat with Brits once in a while and watch British television and definetly British news to fed the homesickness that lurks.
I have a comment about the news. The Canadian news is much better than the US. Actually, the US doesn't have free press because the media is owned by corporations there, but they think that they do so don't say anything. Have you noticed how awful the American press is! Propaganda city and although my American friends have started to see it, it's a very touchy thing to suggest that they are not the land of the free. I guess I still have one opinion left :0
Best Wishes to you and happy hols
Nicki