Flying back in December

Old Nov 21st 2002, 2:02 am
BE Enthusiast

suebo is on a distinguished road

Well, I don't want to be difficult here, but there has been a lot said about Australians and Ignorance (or ill informed) - they are so isolated/ignorant/arrogant and not clued up(and don't give a damn...etc etc) - on this forum and it seem that is exactly what you are saying(about the brits - ill informed). So I guess we are like the rest of the world. It depends on what you hear and what you want to sink in. Sorry but I am clued up on what is going on in the rest of the world and always have been. Will elaborate more later when I have time. TTFN

Sydney Rose... You go girl, I agree with you totally
Old Nov 21st 2002, 12:47 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally posted by suebo
Well there are too many BS points raised on here for me to argue about. All I can say is that none of these "novels" written apply to me!!!

BTW as for racism. Who was it that came to Australia and made the Aborigines slaves????? Yes that's right the Brits!!
Regarding racism... where do you want to start???

And I agree with the person who said why I should I apologise for something I did not do.... exactly!

Look if I want to dwell on History... the English should apologise to the Welsh.... I'm not asking for an apology, and neither is any welsh person...it's the past!

It just doesn't only apply to Australian Aborigine by the way, or only blacks.... racism!

Us welsh were killed, us welsh, were not allowed to speak our own language in a court of law... We were invaded... we are not on the union Jack... why?? Because we did not sign the act of union... only country in the UK who did not sign.We didn't have a say whether we wanted to be part of a monarchy of England rule.

Actually young welsh girls in the victorian era ... were actually kidnapped into England , slaves for their bed!

where do you want me to start on the way welsh were treated?? lol!, and even today... you know the rule from England this week .. said no for a request for Wales to make St David's day a national holiday??... don't talk to me about racisim!

Anyway the point is, stop using this Aborigine b*ll, because I can throw that one up too! It's in the past... it's now and the future which matters.

And if you really come down to it... Aborigines actually today have more rights, and hand outs... than the average white person in Australia

cheers

Last edited by Ceri; Nov 21st 2002 at 12:51 pm.
Old Nov 21st 2002, 5:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Like I said, none of it applies to me. As I mentioned before (a month or so ago) I have 2 Aboriginal nephews and one of my hubbys mates is an aborigine too. My husband is a Brit (well from Belfast) I have a great Brit friend in Perth, my parents are Brits and theirs. So I am a first gen. Aussie. I know a welsh guy in Perth (that we met in KL) and he is a real sleazebag, but I do not hold that against any other welsh people. So maybe I might be a minority, although I do not know anyone in Perth either, that is racist. When I was younger(about 20+ years ago), I do admit that I was racist against Asians - reason being was that the government gave them all handouts and they all had heaps of money - and lo and behold where do I end up living.....Asia. Needless to say I was well over being racist by then
Old Nov 22nd 2002, 1:41 am
BE Enthusiast

jeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant future

Originally posted by suebo
Like I said, none of it applies to me. As I mentioned before (a month or so ago) I have 2 Aboriginal nephews and one of my hubbys mates is an aborigine too. My husband is a Brit (well from Belfast) I have a great Brit friend in Perth, my parents are Brits and theirs. So I am a first gen. Aussie. I know a welsh guy in Perth (that we met in KL) and he is a real sleazebag, but I do not hold that against any other welsh people. So maybe I might be a minority, although I do not know anyone in Perth either, that is racist. When I was younger(about 20+ years ago), I do admit that I was racist against Asians - reason being was that the government gave them all handouts and they all had heaps of money - and lo and behold where do I end up living.....Asia. Needless to say I was well over being racist by then

People on holiday are sometimes the problem,

I think on holiday you are a Ambassador for your country, a year ago I was in The States, and went on a bus trip into Mexico, there were only 4 of us who were not Australian. "The guide said folks these people live on what they sell there is no help from the govenment as we no it, so bargain by all means they love a good bargain but dont get rude, You should have heard the Aussies is was awful they told one Mexican to
"P%%% off' when he would only come down $10.00 on a blanket.
the rest were snickering and laughing loud as you could get. my Hubby said lets get out of here as 4 very big Mexicans came from the back room. the guide had to jump in, God knows what he said in Mexican to calm them down.
"The point is" at dinner that night the other couple were telling the story to others. and I quote " we are not going to Australia the Australians are the rudest people I have ever met" unquote.
All because of 6 Aussies!!!!! thats a shame.
Old Nov 22nd 2002, 3:59 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally posted by jeannie
People on holiday are sometimes the problem,

yip,
If you go to Spain etc... Brit's are loud mouthed drunks (package tours)
If you go to places in Asia.. you'll see the same thing from the Aussies.
Perhaps some tourists should read up a little on the culture of the country they are intending to visit, so not to offend anyone.

But saying that it's not all tourists... expats in Asia can be just as bad.
Most don't mix with the locals... they live in condo's, drink at expat clubs and look down their noses at the locals. I know a few like this. And I can honestly say they are missing out on things.
It's amazing... they won't catch public transport, they certainly won't lower themselves to eat and drink at the local "Hawker centres" ... god. I could tell you few stories about snobs!

one comes to mind... Every weekend I used to go to practice meets with Kart club.. it was run by locals, there were a few Brit's there, a few Aussies and the rest locals. The Aussies there were very clubby... did not mix with anyone except themselves.. they used to bring their little barbeque and wine with them (for after the races) ... not offer anyone anything... and sit at the end of the pits in their own company.

myself and my partner used to sit with the locals... and I tell you what, they would help you out! Offer food when they brought some... even offer tools etc.. One race, it was an international meet.. Malaysians came down, there was one Aussie who flew in specially to join the race etc... anyway my husbands engine blew.. (you're talking about a couple of grand engine here)... so he was out of the next race... a Chinese guy came over (couldn't speak much English... he was a new immigrant from China) ... he gave my husband his spare engine to complete the race... now this may sound so what?.. but you are talking about an expensive piece of machinery here.. plus this guy was actually a competetor.. in the same race. Very kind! (my husband and myself two separate classes... he was international A.. and I used to race National)

Anyway at the end of this meet... the Aussies set up a barbeque in their pit spot.. drinking , eating... keeping to themselves as usual... not offering anyone any of the food... Guess what we found out later that they used "Club funds" to pay for this food.. and it was supposed to be for all race members of the club!!! (I should explain... one of the Aussies was one of the board members... this is how they accessed funds)

What a bunch of t*ssers!

They were in someone else's country/club.. but tried to make it an "Aussie affair"!

cheers

P.S may sound like I'm having a go at the Aussies in my story... but I also knew some Brit T*ss pots as well!

Last edited by Ceri; Nov 22nd 2002 at 5:40 am.
Old Nov 25th 2002, 4:33 am
Forum Regular

SteveHarris has a brilliant futureSteveHarris has a brilliant futureSteveHarris has a brilliant futureSteveHarris has a brilliant futureSteveHarris has a brilliant futureSteveHarris has a brilliant future

Here here - from a fellow taff. I here all sorts of comments about racism and the like living here in Canada but if you look back far enough in anyone history they'll have been invaded, mis-treated etc... (fill in the rest for yourself).....

Originally posted by Ceri
Regarding racism... where do you want to start???

And I agree with the person who said why I should I apologise for something I did not do.... exactly!

Look if I want to dwell on History... the English should apologise to the Welsh.... I'm not asking for an apology, and neither is any welsh person...it's the past!

It just doesn't only apply to Australian Aborigine by the way, or only blacks.... racism!

Us welsh were killed, us welsh, were not allowed to speak our own language in a court of law... We were invaded... we are not on the union Jack... why?? Because we did not sign the act of union... only country in the UK who did not sign.We didn't have a say whether we wanted to be part of a monarchy of England rule.

Actually young welsh girls in the victorian era ... were actually kidnapped into England , slaves for their bed!

where do you want me to start on the way welsh were treated?? lol!, and even today... you know the rule from England this week .. said no for a request for Wales to make St David's day a national holiday??... don't talk to me about racisim!

Anyway the point is, stop using this Aborigine b*ll, because I can throw that one up too! It's in the past... it's now and the future which matters.

And if you really come down to it... Aborigines actually today have more rights, and hand outs... than the average white person in Australia

cheers
Old Nov 25th 2002, 9:14 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Originally posted by SteveHarris
Here here - from a fellow taff. I here all sorts of comments about racism and the like living here in Canada but if you look back far enough in anyone history they'll have been invaded, mis-treated etc... (fill in the rest for yourself).....
Good day fellow Taff

I knew a steven Harris once .. you're not from Swansea by any chance?

Cheers
Old Nov 25th 2002, 1:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

yip,
If you go to Spain etc... Brit's are loud mouthed drunks (package tours)
If you go to places in Asia.. you'll see the same thing from the Aussies.
Perhaps some tourists should read up a little on the culture of the country they are intending to visit, so not to offend anyone.

But saying that it's not all tourists... expats in Asia can be just as bad.
Most don't mix with the locals... they live in condo's, drink at expat clubs and look down their noses at the locals. I know a few like this. And I can honestly say they are missing out on things.
It's amazing... they won't catch public transport, they certainly won't lower themselves to eat and drink at the local "Hawker centres" ... god. I could tell you few stories about snobs!

one comes to mind... Every weekend I used to go to practice meets with Kart club.. it was run by locals, there were a few Brit's there, a few Aussies and the rest locals. The Aussies there were very clubby... did not mix with anyone except themselves.. they used to bring their little barbeque and wine with them (for after the races) ... not offer anyone anything... and sit at the end of the pits in their own company.

myself and my partner used to sit with the locals... and I tell you what, they would help you out! Offer food when they brought some... even offer tools etc.. One race, it was an international meet.. Malaysians came down, there was one Aussie who flew in specially to join the race etc... anyway my husbands engine blew.. (you're talking about a couple of grand engine here)... so he was out of the next race... a Chinese guy came over (couldn't speak much English... he was a new immigrant from China) ... he gave my husband his spare engine to complete the race... now this may sound so what?.. but you are talking about an expensive piece of machinery here.. plus this guy was actually a competetor.. in the same race. Very kind! (my husband and myself two separate classes... he was international A.. and I used to race National)

Anyway at the end of this meet... the Aussies set up a barbeque in their pit spot.. drinking , eating... keeping to themselves as usual... not offering anyone any of the food... Guess what we found out later that they used "Club funds" to pay for this food.. and it was supposed to be for all race members of the club!!! (I should explain... one of the Aussies was one of the board members... this is how they accessed funds)

What a bunch of t*ssers!

They were in someone else's country/club.. but tried to make it an "Aussie affair"!

cheers

P.S may sound like I'm having a go at the Aussies in my story... but I also knew some Brit T*ss pots as well!
When we were in Asia, we always associated with the locals, we still have friends there that we keep in contact with. As for the Brits they did not associate with locals and kept in their clicky little groups - also had a particular area they they all lived in. The Americans (other than the few my hubby worked with) were a bunch of arrogant pr*icks. Both looked down their noses at most other people. I only me one welsh guy and that was enough for me, no he was not a stuck up snob or anything, he was a totally sleazy ahole. So I won't even start on him

We were members of MANZA and we were always going on outings, to the local pub once a month or whatever. MANZA was the only organisation that would allow members from every country to join. BWA, you have to be british-or linked to someone british - and oh yeah you had to be a woman, no men allowed!!!!AWA had to be American etc.

We always ate at the local coffee shop (actually had two in particular) Had our local pub, where we were all on first name terms with all the staff and will be going to see them all on our stop over in March.

So I guess all Aussies are not racist (or loud mouthed for that fact) and every nationality is just the same as us - from what I have seen.

I do not disagree that there are some real yobbos (I do know a few) in Australia, but I also know a few loud mouthed Brits, Yanks and Malaysian for that fact. And one welsh man that is just an all round a hole!!
Old Nov 26th 2002, 2:31 am
Forum Regular

SteveHarris has a brilliant futureSteveHarris has a brilliant futureSteveHarris has a brilliant futureSteveHarris has a brilliant futureSteveHarris has a brilliant futureSteveHarris has a brilliant future

Hi,

Not from Swansea - lived a few miles away in a place called Little Mill - just outside of Usk.

Cheers - Steve

Good day fellow Taff

I knew a steven Harris once .. you're not from Swansea by any chance?

Cheers
Old Nov 26th 2002, 6:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

jeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant future

Originally posted by SteveHarris
Hi,

Not from Swansea - lived a few miles away in a place called Little Mill - just outside of Usk.

Cheers - Steve
Sorry but have to ask do you know Lilly Harris from Liverpool??

A friend of mine I am trying to find

Thanks,
Old Nov 27th 2002, 2:11 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Thanks,
everyone is at it now.. do Harris's go missing more than any other person..

Anyway, I thought I'd suggest this for you. If you're trying to locate someone who attended a school , or a college in Britain and know where she attended,and the date she left the school, you may want to check out the "Friends reunited" web site... she could just be on the listings . That's a good place to start. Heaps of my old classmates are listed there..but you need to pay a small fee to see any of the peoples email addresses (it's to stop spam). You can search the site for free though,you just can't see emails of the people, unless you take out full membership.... which was five pounds last time I looked.

www.friendsreunited.co.uk
Old Nov 27th 2002, 4:32 am
Forum Regular

Sorry I don't - there's lots of us around. I think www.friendsreunited.co.uk is a great idea to start looking. It's amazing how many people you find on there that you'd forgotten about completely.

Cheers - Steve

Thanks,
Old Nov 27th 2002, 2:10 pm
Forum Regular

sbasak is an unknown quantity at this point

Earlier I used to think only people from poor countries eg. India, China etc. want to migrate to Australia, Canada etc. But it really amazed me to discover that even people from UK want to live in these places for better standard of living or lifestyle!!!
Old Nov 27th 2002, 3:43 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

Originally posted by sbasak
Earlier I used to think only people from poor countries eg. India, China etc. want to migrate to Australia, Canada etc. But it really amazed me to discover that even people from UK want to live in these places for better standard of living or lifestyle!!!

Hi,
I think that people from Britain are the majority of new migrants here, they out number people who emigrate from Asian countries, although these are pretty high on the list of new immigrants too . Correct me if I'm wrong anyone please, perhaps N.Zealand's out weigh Brit's here.

I can only speak for myself, but I came to Australia instead of going back to Britain. Prior to Australia I was in Singapore, I got a bit fed up of that after 5 years. A job was offered here in Australia, I wasn't even looking to come to Aus. I thought Oh well, let's check out Australia, instead getting a transfer back home. I had a few Aussie mates in Singapore and they were always telling me how great it was, lovely weather, good lifestyle, etc, etc. So that's how I got here, I wasn't actually looking for a better lifestyle, my home is in Wales, and always will be. I've been out of the country for almost 11 years now (except holidays back home now and a again) , but certainly I have never had any intentions of permanent living in another country.

I personally, didn't leave Wales in the first place for a better lifestyle, there was nothing wrong with the lifestyle I had back home. I left because It was a very good job on offer in Singapore, too good to refuse, expat package, plus I enjoy travelling, seeing the world.

So it was by mistake which I came here, bad mistake at that too It just isn't for me Australia I should have gone back to Asia, which I had a chance to do a couple of years ago, but I refused it.

Anyway I'm one person who is not going to stay here long term (I've been here nearly 6 years), besides I have too many commitments back home. Anyway, it was just with work is the reason I'm here, I never did intend to come here, or even think of coming to Australia until it was offered.

I can only go on the people I know , and why they want to come to Australia, they think it does not have the same problems as Britain, Canada etc. I know a lot of Brit's are a bit p*ssed of with things like the state of the Health service and house prices etc, but they don't seem to realise Australia has very similar problems, some worse , some better. It's just Australia is portrayed as this "wonderful" country by stupid soap TV like "neighbours" and such. I think it's a lot of people looking for this great sunny place to bring up their kids safely.. when fact Aus is no safer than Britain.

Everyone is different I suppose, some come here because they think the lifestyle might suit them, some because of marriage, others like myself it was through work.
Cheers

:P.S Jeannie, and steve

yes that friends reunited site is supposed to be huge in Britain.. with reunions and things. I went through my school class.. it certainly jogged a few memories . my partner signed up a couple of months back, put his name on there, and had an email off my partners long lost mate who's in Cyprus... so it does work for some.
Old Nov 27th 2002, 9:10 pm

Herman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud of

Hi,
I think that people from Britain are the majority of new migrants here, they out number people who emigrate from Asian countries, although these are pretty high on the list of new immigrants too . Correct me if I'm wrong anyone please, perhaps N.Zealand's out weigh Brit's here.

I can only speak for myself, but I came to Australia instead of going back to Britain. Prior to Australia I was in Singapore, I got a bit fed up of that after 5 years. A job was offered here in Australia, I wasn't even looking to come to Aus. I thought Oh well, let's check out Australia, instead getting a transfer back home. I had a few Aussie mates in Singapore and they were always telling me how great it was, lovely weather, good lifestyle, etc, etc. So that's how I got here, I wasn't actually looking for a better lifestyle, my home is in Wales, and always will be. I've been out of the country for almost 11 years now (except holidays back home now and a again) , but certainly I have never had any intentions of permanent living in another country.

I personally, didn't leave Wales in the first place for a better lifestyle, there was nothing wrong with the lifestyle I had back home. I left because It was a very good job on offer in Singapore, too good to refuse, expat package, plus I enjoy travelling, seeing the world.

So it was by mistake which I came here, bad mistake at that too It just isn't for me Australia I should have gone back to Asia, which I had a chance to do a couple of years ago, but I refused it.

Anyway I'm one person who is not going to stay here long term (I've been here nearly 6 years), besides I have too many commitments back home. Anyway, it was just with work is the reason I'm here, I never did intend to come here, or even think of coming to Australia until it was offered.

I can only go on the people I know , and why they want to come to Australia, they think it does not have the same problems as Britain, Canada etc. I know a lot of Brit's are a bit p*ssed of with things like the state of the Health service and house prices etc, but they don't seem to realise Australia has very similar problems, some worse , some better. It's just Australia is portrayed as this "wonderful" country by stupid soap TV like "neighbours" and such. I think it's a lot of people looking for this great sunny place to bring up their kids safely.. when fact Aus is no safer than Britain.

Everyone is different I suppose, some come here because they think the lifestyle might suit them, some because of marriage, others like myself it was through work.
Cheers

:P.S Jeannie, and steve

yes that friends reunited site is supposed to be huge in Britain.. with reunions and things. I went through my school class.. it certainly jogged a few memories . my partner signed up a couple of months back, put his name on there, and had an email off my partners long lost mate who's in Cyprus... so it does work for some.

Ceri. I had to do a report for a client recently where we had to provide this data, (please dont think I'm sad enough to look this up!):

2001/2002 birthplace of permanent migrants into Australia, 1/7/01 to 30/6/02:

NZ and islands: 22%
UK and Ireland: 10%
Rest of Europe: 9%
Asia: 40%
USA: 2%
Africa: 10%
Middle East: 6%
Others: 1%

So British are actually only 10% of migrants, even less than those coming from Africa.
The vast majority are from Asian countries, mainly from China, Indonesia, India and Vietnam. I guess when you consider the size/population of these other places then NZ and the UK do provide the highest proportion relative to their populations. I was very surprised by the USA figure when we did this research and I remember I had to triple check it, but apparently its correct!
We were actually doing a population trends study for a large insurer here and the conclusion was that in about 50 years time at least half the population of Australia will be of Asian descent. We were trying to help them understand the implications of these demographic trends for their insurance products. (i.e propensity of different nationalities to buy what insurance products). All very interesting I'm sure. Those who say Australia is really an Asian country in denial are actually not far from the truth!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.