Flight Prices to UK

Old Dec 1st 2013, 12:25 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Flight Prices to UK

I was just browsing at fare costs on Travelocity over the next three months. It seems I over estimated the fares, although I was originally looking at one-way fares. Round trip is less, it seems.

Anyway, my question is . . . when you are quoted a fare online, how much is usually added to that, i.e. final cost? For example, if the initial fare is, say, $1300, how much is added on top of that? Is it only state taxes?

It's been a few years since I have flown and I can't remember.
Old Dec 1st 2013, 12:40 am
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flight Prices to UK

I think most flight web searches break it down for you unlike the old days when you saw a price for X then got a huge shock with the final price was in

Never used travelocity - to get a general idea I used http://www.flightnetwork.com/cheap-f...Fa9cMgodZTAAaw

Also with Air Transat & Canadian Affair they break it down for you even though the price shown is the total price
Old Dec 1st 2013, 1:00 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by not2old
I think most flight web searches break it down for you unlike the old days when you saw a price for X then got a huge shock with the final price was in

Never used travelocity - to get a general idea I used http://www.flightnetwork.com/cheap-f...Fa9cMgodZTAAaw

Also with Air Transat & Canadian Affair they break it down for you even though the price shown is the total price
Thank you. The Travelocity site was a bit confusing when it came to add-ons.
Old Dec 1st 2013, 2:09 am
BE Enthusiast

lgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond repute

roundtrip is definitely cheaper. I am flying boston to manchester in a couple of weeks by virgin and cost was $1288. The price they show you on line usually includes all the taxes. They will show you a breakdown on the booking page. Travelocity shows you the price with tax included so if they are saying $1300 that will be your final cost.
Old Dec 1st 2013, 2:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by lgabriel73
roundtrip is definitely cheaper. I am flying boston to manchester in a couple of weeks by virgin and cost was $1288. The price they show you on line usually includes all the taxes. They will show you a breakdown on the booking page. Travelocity shows you the price with tax included so if they are saying $1300 that will be your final cost.
Hooray!! I was hoping it was the final cost but I wasn't sure and I didn't want to have to register to find out.

I was budgeting $2000 for my own fare so it was a nice surprise today to see that round trip tickets are $1200-1300. (Revising the budget tonight!)
Old Dec 1st 2013, 2:43 am
BE Enthusiast

britishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to all

Check out statravel.com, I usually find they are the cheapest option. Also if you are under 26, a student or a teacher you get about 30-40 bucks slashed off ticket cost.

I do a WHOLE lot of researching before I travel... travelocity, expedia, kayak, pricerunner etc.... and STA normally comes out win for me.

When we move next year Im going to opt for the QM2 though, fares one way are about $840 inc taxes, and you get unlimited luggage (as long as it fits in your cabin), When I found that out, I was like, deal!!
Old Dec 1st 2013, 11:26 am
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britishspouse

When we move next year Im going to opt for the QM2 though, fares one way are about $840 inc taxes, and you get unlimited luggage (as long as it fits in your cabin), When I found that out, I was like, deal!!

which is way cheaper than flying with more options, so why not make it a trip of a lifetime watching the sunrise as you sail into Southampton

http://www.cunard.com/cruise-deals/crossing-offers/

From one of many websites - the transatlantic trip cost is less than the flight

http://www.tripcentral.ca/cruise-fin...egion_id=28776

http://book.cruise-pros.com/travel/c...ded_search=yes

Last edited by not2old; Dec 1st 2013 at 11:46 am.
Old Dec 1st 2013, 12:50 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Air Canada too. Until a year or so ago, they added taxes and fees at the end, but now (fortunately) they quote the full price upfront and give you a full breakdown later, when you are in a position to make your decision to purchase.

Windsong, don't know when you plan to fly, but I found that if I waited till after the first week of January, the prices came down significantly; probably in the week after New Years students and other folk are filling the flights after their holiday trip home etc. I'm paying about $950 rountrip, Ottawa to London.
Old Dec 2nd 2013, 12:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

Beware that in spite of the convenience when traveling with dogs on the QM2 the rates are typically per person based upon double occupancy. If traveling alone you can near double those charges. Plus you still have to get to New York to embark.
Old Dec 2nd 2013, 4:38 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Flight Prices to UK

Originally Posted by Pistolpete2
Beware that in spite of the convenience when traveling with dogs on the QM2 the rates are typically per person based upon double occupancy. If traveling alone you can near double those charges. Plus you still have to get to New York to embark.
However it is possible to find another single lady traveller to split the cost of a cabin eg:

http://www.budgettravel.com/blog/sol...avelers,11953/

http://seniortravel.about.com/od/tou...or-Singles.htm
Old Dec 2nd 2013, 10:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

We did that this year, QE out, QM2 back, great value. QE was $700 going out end of March, QM2 was $1,100 coming back early September.

Never been on a cruise ship before. Now we are hooked.
Old Dec 2nd 2013, 10:36 pm
Dichotomus tinker

Originally Posted by durham_lad
We did that this year, QE out, QM2 back, great value. QE was $700 going out end of March, QM2 was $1,100 coming back early September.

did you book direct with Cunard or through a re-seller/discounter?

Do prices tend to be cheaper closer to the departure date or do you need to book well in advance?
Old Dec 2nd 2013, 11:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

did you book direct with Cunard or through a re-seller/discounter?

Do prices tend to be cheaper closer to the departure date or do you need to book well in advance?
We booked direct with Cunard, about 3 months out, and were advised that although we have reservations on the QM2 for the return journey in September to check prices while on-board in April on the way over. Great advice because we saved hundreds of $.

PS

We had a wedding in April so had a definite date to get there by. No waiting for special last minute offers.

Last edited by durham_lad; Dec 2nd 2013 at 11:49 pm. Reason: added PS
Old Dec 3rd 2013, 12:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Bud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by durham_lad

Was that per person or per cabin? and was it out from the US in March and back from the UK in Sept? Is it treated as a cruise, in that all entertainment and food is inclusive?

I ask because it would be a great way for us to travel if we were to spend summers in the UK and winters in the US.

We're cruise addicts ourselves.
Old Dec 3rd 2013, 12:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bud the Wiser
Was that per person or per cabin? and was it out from the US in March and back from the UK in Sept? Is it treated as a cruise, in that all entertainment and food is inclusive?

I ask because it would be a great way for us to travel if we were to spend summers in the UK and winters in the US.

We're cruise addicts ourselves.
That was per person, double cabin, inside room. Out from NYC end of March to Southampton, return in September. Entertainment, food all included. You can elect to have daily gratuities for cabin and service staff added (I forget how much but you can look at Cunard site for suggested amounts). Alcoholic drinks not included but actually very reasonably priced. Definitely counted as a cruise, in fact "the Crossing" that we did each way were segments of cruises, the outgoing crossing being the last segment of a World cruise that the QE had been on. Coming back the QM2 had started in Hamburg and from NYC was going on up into Maine then Canada.

Starting in 2016 we are planning on spending summers in the UK and winters in the US and we would definitely cruise over again, it was fantastic, a wonderful way to travel. I have back problems and this year I had convinced my wife that we could afford to fly business class, but then she looked into cruising, which was much cheaper than flying business class, plus you get 8 days each way on a luxury liner with loads of entertainment and great food laid on.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.