Finally going home

Old Feb 22nd 2018, 2:03 am
Forum Regular

Jensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond repute
Default Finally going home

As of April 1st and barring any slips I will be setting foot in my flat in Folkestone and officially moving, albeit part time, back into English life.
I've waited a long time for this...decades...during which I've seen my parents and my brother pass on, my little nieces and nephews grow up, raise families and become grandparents themselves and the country change beyond all recognition to the one I left in the grim 1970s.
Folkestone is where I enjoyed my first Knickerbocker Glory and where I walked with my best friend and her parents along the Leas almost a half century ago.
That best friend is still my bestie and we turned back the years two weeks ago with another stroll along the Leas followed by lunch at Rocksalt at the harbour.
The decision to move back and all the planning surrounding the move has not been easy. I have decided to transition by living part time in both countries for a year. This will give me time to acclimatise but still have a foot in both places in case I realize the move the wrong thing to do or if unforseen problems arise..
My friends have generously emptied their kitchens, storage closets and spare rooms to provide provisional furnishings for my flat. If I decide to move back for good, I'll buy my own furnishings and sell my US stuff rather than ship from the US. It will be a new life which will deserve a fresh start. Anyway, My American furniture would crowd a tiny retirement flat!
So, very soon I will be enjoying all of the wonderful times I've missed over the years: knitting groups with my sister and niece; family dinners and get togethers; movie nights with old friends; weekend getaways to Derbyshire; The South of England Agricultural Show and Kentish cherries!
I'm realistic enough to know it won't be all sweetness and light. There will be days when I'll be as lonely in my Folkestone flat as I am in my Vermont apartment; when I'll miss my car ( buses and trains only for me in the UK to save money) and when even a sunny day in the Kent countryside will be unfavourably compared to the open roads, verdant meadows and the breathtaking gorgeousness that is New England in the fall.
But, I'm ready for the challenge.
So begins the adventure.
Life part three.

Last edited by Jensmate; Feb 22nd 2018 at 2:05 am.
Old Feb 22nd 2018, 1:52 pm
Forum Regular

Caroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Finally going home

Jensmate - what a beautiful posting - eloquent, gracious, and heartfelt. All the very best as you return to your roots and “life part three.” How lovely to be able to say “that best friend is still my bestie.”
Old Feb 22nd 2018, 2:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

I too have renounced Henry Ford and all his works !
Old Feb 22nd 2018, 3:06 pm
Forum Regular

Jensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Caroline in Arizona
Jensmate - what a beautiful posting - eloquent, gracious, and heartfelt. All the very best as you return to your roots and “life part three.” How lovely to be able to say “that best friend is still my bestie.”
Thank you Caroline. It is my best friend that has so very generously offered to rent the seafront flat that belonged to her mother and where she lived her last year before passing.
I will never be able to repay her for her kindness but I'll do my damnedest!
Old Feb 22nd 2018, 3:10 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by scot47
I too have renounced Henry Ford and all his works !
Unless one lives in the back of beyond in the UK, cars are not an absolute necessity. That said, there is probably a bus service that goes to and from the back of beyond at least once a day.
Old Feb 23rd 2018, 3:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

But be aware that the Britain you left is not there any more. You will have to get used to living in a different country. That is unless you buy a Time Machine that will transport you back.

This was one reason why I chose a different part of Scotland to the one where I grew up.
Old Feb 23rd 2018, 6:46 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by scot47
But be aware that the Britain you left is not there any more. You will have to get used to living in a different country. That is unless you buy a Time Machine that will transport you back.

This was one reason why I chose a different part of Scotland to the one where I grew up.
Oh! I'm well aware that the country has changed. Much for the better, some not so much. As has the US. The America I arrived in back in the 70s bears little resemblance to the America of today.
I grew up in the South West of London. I will remake my life in Kent.
Change happens. We go with the flow.
Old Feb 23rd 2018, 7:03 am
Forum Regular

Bridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond repute

I moved to Folkestone more than 10 years ago. You cannot miss the changes most for the best in this vibrant seaside town. We go to Spain for up to 5 months of the year but always come back for Easter and the summer - we love it here. Plenty places to walk good restaurants lots of groups etc to join if you want to, enough shops to get by with and then there are good bus links and trains to London Canterbury etc. and it's easy to get to France. Welcome back!
Old Feb 23rd 2018, 12:25 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bridie55
I moved to Folkestone more than 10 years ago. You cannot miss the changes most for the best in this vibrant seaside town........Welcome back!
Thank you Bridie55. I've spent a lot of time in Folkestone and around the area over the past year. It's a lovely place and everything will be within walking distance from my flat. It will be a pleasure getting to know Folkestone better.
Old Feb 24th 2018, 1:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

vikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jensmate
As of April 1st and barring any slips I will be setting foot in my flat in Folkestone and officially moving, albeit part time, back into English life.
I've waited a long time for this...decades...during which I've seen my parents and my brother pass on, my little nieces and nephews grow up, raise families and become grandparents themselves and the country change beyond all recognition to the one I left in the grim 1970s.
Folkestone is where I enjoyed my first Knickerbocker Glory and where I walked with my best friend and her parents along the Leas almost a half century ago.
That best friend is still my bestie and we turned back the years two weeks ago with another stroll along the Leas followed by lunch at Rocksalt at the harbour.
The decision to move back and all the planning surrounding the move has not been easy. I have decided to transition by living part time in both countries for a year. This will give me time to acclimatise but still have a foot in both places in case I realize the move the wrong thing to do or if unforseen problems arise..
My friends have generously emptied their kitchens, storage closets and spare rooms to provide provisional furnishings for my flat. If I decide to move back for good, I'll buy my own furnishings and sell my US stuff rather than ship from the US. It will be a new life which will deserve a fresh start. Anyway, My American furniture would crowd a tiny retirement flat!
So, very soon I will be enjoying all of the wonderful times I've missed over the years: knitting groups with my sister and niece; family dinners and get togethers; movie nights with old friends; weekend getaways to Derbyshire; The South of England Agricultural Show and Kentish cherries!
I'm realistic enough to know it won't be all sweetness and light. There will be days when I'll be as lonely in my Folkestone flat as I am in my Vermont apartment; when I'll miss my car ( buses and trains only for me in the UK to save money) and when even a sunny day in the Kent countryside will be unfavourably compared to the open roads, verdant meadows and the breathtaking gorgeousness that is New England in the fall.
But, I'm ready for the challenge.
So begins the adventure.
Life part three.
Love this post and I think its the right way to approach it. Wishing you well and looking forward to hearing your experiences positive and not so when you are able to log in.
Old Feb 24th 2018, 7:27 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by vikingsail
Love this post and I think its the right way to approach it. Wishing you well and looking forward to hearing your experiences positive and not so when you are able to log in.
Thank you Vikingsail. I'm currently in the process of "letting go" of many belongings which I've collected (or which have collected me) over the years that I don't need/don't want to take with me to the UK.
I intend to travel light for the remainder of my days.
I'll certainly post updates as and when I can. Thank you for you encouragement.
Old Feb 24th 2018, 8:19 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Jensmate
Oh! I'm well aware that the country has changed. Much for the better, some not so much. As has the US. The America I arrived in back in the 70s bears little resemblance to the America of today.
I grew up in the South West of London. I will remake my life in Kent.
Change happens. We go with the flow.
I like that.
Old Feb 24th 2018, 8:29 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BEVS
I like that.
Thank you. Far too much time and energy are expended swimming against the tide. I did it when I was much younger. Necessary to effect change I guess. But, no more. Time to enjoy where the winds and tides are going to take me.
Old Feb 24th 2018, 11:45 pm
Forum Regular

Caroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond repute

Jensmate - you really have a charming way with words.
Old Feb 25th 2018, 8:54 am
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

Jensmate - I'm so glad to hear you're very nearly here. You have a positive and realistic outlook with regard to what lies ahead for you and you've chosen to live in a lovely area we are both fond of.

I have my own happy memories of your new home. This April 1, coincidentally, will mark seven years since I walked into my own flat on the Leas (Langhorne Gardens) in Folkestone and I can imagine you're looking forward to all those lovely walks over the sea front. Hubby and I were married there and would like to return there to celebrate our 10th Anniversary with dinner at The Grand.

During the summer, we often used to go for early morning walks before the heat of the day came up and stop off at Sainsbury's for our bits and bobs on the way home - no car required. Hubby had a leafy green 20 minute walk to work. It was a lovely time.

I've attached a photo of a sight on the Leas you may have missed - This tribute to the Diamond Jubilee appeared just past the Harvey Monument back in 2012 and I believe it's gone now. It was taken the day of the Folkestone Air Show from our flat window.

I wish you every success and happiness for a new life in Kent. Please keep us posted about how you're getting on
Attached Thumbnails Finally going home-img_0712.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.