filing US taxes in the UK

Old Feb 14th 2017, 3:01 pm
Forum Regular

LindseyAnn is an unknown quantity at this point
Default filing US taxes in the UK

Not sure where to post this, so if its not in the right place, feel free to move it

I returned back to the UK in August. I am Permanent Resident but have resettled here in the UK. Worked in the US in 2016 until the last week in July and have worked here in the UK from middle of September onwards. I am going through a divorce, which should be finalized soon, and am used to filing taxes jointly with H and R block, have never done it myself. My husband and I were used to getting a tax return, as we always claimed 0. So, how should I file my taxes from here. I am not wanting to pay hundreds for someone here to do it, if I get less than that back.

Has anyone else filed taxes from the UK?

HELP!!!!!!!!
Old Feb 16th 2017, 7:41 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: filing US taxes in the UK

So, are you saying you think you are probably due a refund, because more was withheld than you owe? If it's a relatively small amount, you could just let it go and not bother to file. If it's thousands you might be due to be refunded, then get a qualified adviser.
Old Feb 16th 2017, 8:38 am
Aoi
Forum Regular

Aoi has a reputation beyond reputeAoi has a reputation beyond reputeAoi has a reputation beyond reputeAoi has a reputation beyond reputeAoi has a reputation beyond reputeAoi has a reputation beyond reputeAoi has a reputation beyond reputeAoi has a reputation beyond reputeAoi has a reputation beyond reputeAoi has a reputation beyond reputeAoi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LindseyAnn

Has anyone else filed taxes from the UK?

HELP!!!!!!!!
Yes, using taxact.com online.
Old Feb 16th 2017, 9:55 am
Forum Regular

Robin, in the 17 years I lived in the USA, we always got a refund, the least was last year which was $500 but we mostly got anywhere between $2,000 to $5,000. Never owed.
Old Feb 16th 2017, 9:59 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Aoi, will look in to this. We always went with H and R block, and have never done it myself. The difference this year is I am getting divorced so filing separately as well. So not sure how that changes things, as far as what I can get back, if anything. However, don't want to pay for it, as I have a feeling the amount I get back will be small, if anything,
Old Feb 16th 2017, 10:53 am
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Take a look at the 1040 or 1040EZ and see if you can work it out. Failing that try here

https://www.irs.gov/uac/free-file-do...taxes-for-free

or get some tax software. Also make sure you file state taxes fro the time you were resident.

Aside from taxes have you filed an I-407 and if necessary and 8834 as you have moved back to the UK?
Old Feb 16th 2017, 11:06 am
Forum Regular

Hi Nun, what is I-407 and 8834, thanks
Old Feb 16th 2017, 11:10 am
Forum Regular

Ok, just looked and I-407 is abandonment of PLR status. I am not doing that at present. And 8834 is Electric Vehicle Credit, so not sure what that is
Old Feb 16th 2017, 2:16 pm
Just Joined

Nicolamichelle is an unknown quantity at this point

It's easy to file online with taxact, hrblock, turbo, no reason not to.
Old Feb 16th 2017, 2:31 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, just looked and I-407 is abandonment of PLR status. I am not doing that at present. And 8834 is Electric Vehicle Credit, so not sure what that is
Maybe 8854?
Old Feb 16th 2017, 3:19 pm
Forum Regular

Do I need to do form 8854?
Old Feb 16th 2017, 3:27 pm
Just Joined

I'm not sure why you would find this so complicated. File your US income with the US using H and R block or turbo tax or tax act online, file separately.
Old Feb 16th 2017, 5:03 pm
Heading for Poppyland

Originally Posted by robin1234
Maybe 8854?
Do I need to do form 8854?
No idea. I was just racking my brains for another IRS form in the 88xx area that's to do with people who've left the US, since "8834" was clearly a typo. One thing to say about the IRS, their forms and information are usually well written and easy to understand, so you should be able to come to a conclusion by reading the form and associated help ...
Old Feb 16th 2017, 5:07 pm
Heading for Poppyland

Originally Posted by Nicolamichelle
I'm not sure why you would find this so complicated. File your US income with the US using H and R block or turbo tax or tax act online, file separately.
You seem to be fixated on the medium or the methodology (commercial online software.) Why would that necessarily be the easiest or most effective way to submit a return?
Old Feb 16th 2017, 5:17 pm
Just Joined

Getting info from the OP. Was or is there something I am missing?

Wants to file taxes.
Has used H&R block in the past.
Has never filed them hereself.

I deduced from the OP (and I can be corrected if wrong I have been wrong before) that the primary focus was ...filing taxes. Hence I was stating that there are plenty of online tax preparations and it should be very easy to do it even though OP has not done it before. Am I wrong to deduce this info from the OP. Please explain why in your opinion it WOULDN'T be the easiest or most effective way to submit a return based on the limited info in the OP.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.