Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Family of 5 Moving to UK in 2018/2019, wanting to plan ahead

Family of 5 Moving to UK in 2018/2019, wanting to plan ahead

Old Oct 31st 2017, 7:30 pm
Just Joined

Indianabound is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Family of 5 Moving to UK in 2018/2019, wanting to plan ahead

Hi everyone, I'm from Kent originally and moved to the US in 2009. I'm a UK/US dual citizen and married to a USC. We have 3 kids (6yrs, 2 and a newborn). We live in South Carolina now but are not close to family here. We are thinking about a move back to England, where my family are before the kids get too big. We are looking to move in 2018 or 2019. I will be seeking a transfer with my current employer of 10 years who I transferred to the US with originally in 2009.

Can anyone share from their experience what are the things I should be considering now so we can be make the move? I am currently getting the kids UK passports but what else should I be considering this far out?

My credit history, or lack of, is a concern to me. My credit score is good in the US but aside from maintaining a UK bank account I have no active credit history in the UK. Any advice on this? We'd like to buy a house (apply for a mortgage) in the UK using the eventual proceeds from our current home in the US as a down payment.

My wife would not be working straight away, how would we go about getting her Visa while in the US? This is another unknown regarding the process, how long it takes etc

Thank you for reading, hoping to get some direction from you all based on your experience.

AT
Old Oct 31st 2017, 7:48 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Family of 5 Moving to UK in 2018/2019, wanting to plan ahead

Obviously it's a little far away but getting your children both their US and British passports is a good first step.

The biggest hurdle will be your wife's spouse visa, in particular the financial requirements which you, as the sponsor, will need to meet. If you are selling a property in the US then you can use the proceeds to meet the financial requirements through cash savings (£62,500). Alternatively if you are moving back with your current employer then you would also be able to meet the financial requirements through salaried income (£18,600 pa minimum in the US for at least six month prior to application, job offer earning £18,600 pa minimum in the UK starting within three months of proposed return).

Someone like Experian can help you with your credit score.
Old Oct 31st 2017, 7:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Read the following document carefully to see under which category you could be eligible to sponsor your wife's visa

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...ment_Final.pdf

The is the first thing to determine - whether you can meet the financial requirements.
Old Nov 1st 2017, 8:11 am
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Maintaining your UK bank account should give you a big start on your credit score. When we moved back last year after 29 years away I got a credit card immediately through our bank. My wife was told it would take about 6 months before she could apply if she wanted a card in her own name, as she has no earned income or pension. (I do have pension income)

Our son moved back last month after 30 years away without maintaining a bank account so the new bank he opened his account with would only give him a Visa Debit card until he builds his credit history.
Old Nov 3rd 2017, 2:51 pm
Just Joined

Thanks so much for the advice... going back to the credit history...

How can I best work on my UK credit while in the US? I currently have an open bank account in England (at the Halifax) but can I open a credit card if I am living in the US. The address listed on the Halifax bank account is my parents address in England but I am not technically living there.

+ Can I open a credit card at Halifax based on my open bank account?
+ Would it be possible to be added as an authorized user to my parents credit card?
+ Are there any other options?

I have already opened a HSBC card in the US as I understand I can later transfer my HSBC credit history internationally from HSBC US to HSBC in the UK.

I appreciate any tips! Thanks!
Old Nov 3rd 2017, 4:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Indianabound
Thanks so much for the advice... going back to the credit history...

How can I best work on my UK credit while in the US? I currently have an open bank account in England (at the Halifax) but can I open a credit card if I am living in the US. The address listed on the Halifax bank account is my parents address in England but I am not technically living there.

+ Can I open a credit card at Halifax based on my open bank account?
+ Would it be possible to be added as an authorized user to my parents credit card?
+ Are there any other options?

I have already opened a HSBC card in the US as I understand I can later transfer my HSBC credit history internationally from HSBC US to HSBC in the UK.

As I mentioned in the previous post I got a credit card immediately on return as I had maintained a UK bank account. That bank account happens to be with HSBC and at the time of returning I didn't have a US HSBC bank account. (I do now)

I think that since you have a US and a UK HSBC bank account PLUS a US HSBC credit card that you will have no problem getting a UK HSBC credit card and after a few months you should be able to get other cards from other banks.
Old Nov 3rd 2017, 4:42 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Indianabound

This is true, i.e. HSBC-UK will issue a credit card straightaway which reflects your US (in my case Canadian) credit record. But that's as far as it goes.

If you need a credit record for other things (e.g. a mortgage, not from HSBC) you're on your own.
Old Nov 3rd 2017, 5:29 pm
Just Joined

Thanks durham_lad & Novocastrian...

I will try getting a credit card via HSBC UK
Old Nov 10th 2017, 12:35 pm
Forum Regular

CanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond repute

If you have an American Express, they’ll open up one for you in the UK as well.