Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

exchange paper driving licence (DVLA) to photocard one(DVA)

exchange paper driving licence (DVLA) to photocard one(DVA)

Old Dec 2nd 2016, 2:59 am
Forum Regular

inggris is an unknown quantity at this point
Default exchange paper driving licence (DVLA) to photocard one(DVA)

If one only holds a paper driving licence (before the photocard one introduced) issued by DVLA in England, can it be exchanged to a photocard one from DVA in Northen Ireland? (Or he/she will need to get the paper one switched to photocard one in DVLA before doing the exchanging in DVA?)

Please share your experience if you have any. Thanks.

Last edited by inggris; Dec 2nd 2016 at 3:03 am.
Old Dec 2nd 2016, 4:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Helen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: exchange paper driving licence (DVLA) to photocard one(DVA)

Originally Posted by inggris
If one only holds a paper driving licence (before the photocard one introduced) issued by DVLA in England, can it be exchanged to a photocard one from DVA in Northen Ireland? (Or he/she will need to get the paper one switched to photocard one in DVLA before doing the exchanging in DVA?)

Please share your experience if you have any. Thanks.
I inquired about this recently as my husband still has an old English paper licence and needs to swap it for a photocard one, registered to an address in Northern Ireland.
I was told by DVA that he could do this in person if he goes with his passport to the office on Boucher Road and hands in the form (available from post offices) and his old paper licence. It takes a few weeks for the new licence to be sent out to the new address.
Old Dec 2nd 2016, 4:11 am
Forum Regular

inggris is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: exchange paper driving licence (DVLA) to photocard one(DVA)

Originally Posted by Helen1964
I inquired about this recently as my husband still has an old English paper licence and needs to swap it for a photocard one, registered to an address in Northern Ireland.
I was told by DVA that he could do this in person if he goes with his passport to the office on Boucher Road and hands in the form (available from post offices) and his old paper licence. It takes a few weeks for the new licence to be sent out to the new address.
Thank you very much for your rapid reply.