Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Exchange exchanged driving license for original UK license

Exchange exchanged driving license for original UK license

Old Jul 17th 2014, 1:36 pm
Just Joined

Nytol is an unknown quantity at this point
Lightbulb Exchange exchanged driving license for original UK license

I moved to Ireland and exchanged my pink UK driving license (no photo) for an Irish driving license.

When I move back to the UK can I get my original UK driving license back instead of having to exchange my Irish license for a new UK license with a new issue date?

I want the old issue date from my original UK license. I want my old UK license back.

Thanks.
Old Jul 17th 2014, 7:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Exchange exchanged driving license for original UK license

Originally Posted by Nytol
I moved to Ireland and exchanged my pink UK driving license (no photo) for an Irish driving license.

When I move back to the UK can I get my original UK driving license back instead of having to exchange my Irish license for a new UK license with a new issue date?

I want the old issue date from my original UK license. I want my old UK license back.

Thanks.
I am pretty sure you won't get the original licence back - you voluntary gave it up to get an Irish one. As you had a valid licence in the UK you can certainly apply to get a photo one - that will be valid for 10 years from the date you apply for it but which will show when you passed your test as the back indicates what class of vehicle you can drive and the dates you are authorised to drive those - which is from your test pass date until the eve of your 70th birthday - when you need to reapply for a licence anyways.
Old Jul 17th 2014, 7:35 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorac05
I am pretty sure you won't get the original licence back - you voluntary gave it up to get an Irish one. As you had a valid licence in the UK you can certainly apply to get a photo one - that will be valid for 10 years from the date you apply for it but which will show when you passed your test as the back indicates what class of vehicle you can drive and the dates you are authorised to drive those - which is from your test pass date until the eve of your 70th birthday - when you need to reapply for a licence anyways.
He won't get back the original piece of paper. As you say, a photocard will be issued. However, when the licence was exchanged for an Irish licence, the original licence entitlement was not revoked so it should be restored upon application. As far as I am aware, it should be treated as a change of address application on the old GB licence.

Although technically, they should ask for the Irish licence to be returned (if the Irish took the GB licence, he will have to explain why he does not have it) since one is not supposed to have more than one EU/EEA licence.
Old Jul 17th 2014, 7:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
He won't get back the original piece of paper. As you say, a photocard will be issued. However, when the licence was exchanged for an Irish licence, the original licence entitlement was not revoked so it should be restored upon application. As far as I am aware, it should be treated as a change of address application on the old GB licence.

Although technically, they should ask for the Irish licence to be returned (if the Irish took the GB licence, he will have to explain why he does not have it) since one is not supposed to have more than one EU/EEA licence.
BIB - exactly - which is why I said that even though the photo card will have a 10 year time limit on it starting when you apply for it the back of the card shows what vehicles you are allowed to drive and from when. My photo card has a date starting in 2011 when I applied for it when I returned home from the US and is valid for 10 years but on the back it shows that I have been driving from 1980 which is when I passed my test.
Old Jul 29th 2014, 9:01 am
Just Joined

Nytol is an unknown quantity at this point

The Irish did take my UK license. I have ordered the D1 forms and I am unsure what to do to get my old UK license back.

Address change? Lost? Or just tell them what I have told you and send them my Irish license and photocopy of m old UK license?
Old Jul 29th 2014, 11:34 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nytol
The Irish did take my UK license. I have ordered the D1 forms and I am unsure what to do to get my old UK license back.

Address change? Lost? Or just tell them what I have told you and send them my Irish license and photocopy of m old UK license?
Fill out the form truthfully (address change seems reasonable), send it in and see what happens. You may wish to keep your original Irish licence and send them a copy. If they need it, they will write to you and tell you what to do, in the meantime, you still have a document that lets you drive legally.