Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Ex pat children and access to UK NHS

Ex pat children and access to UK NHS

Old May 25th 2013, 3:29 pm
Just Joined

Pantgwyn is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Ex pat children and access to UK NHS

My son has been living in Dubai since August 2012, my grand daughter, aged 2, has a heart condition. My son is under the impression that children can still access the NHS for 3 years, is this correct? I am a concerned grandma and hope someone can put my mind at ease.
Old May 25th 2013, 4:52 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ex pat children and access to UK NHS

Originally Posted by Pantgwyn
My son has been living in Dubai since August 2012, my grand daughter, aged 2, has a heart condition. My son is under the impression that children can still access the NHS for 3 years, is this correct? I am a concerned grandma and hope someone can put my mind at ease.
Hi and welcome to British Expats

I'm going to move your post into our UK forum, as I know we have several people in there who are well-versed in NHS ways. Hopefully some of them can help you out
Old May 25th 2013, 5:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Not unless they are ordinarily resident in UK. http://webarchive.nationalarchives.g...able/DH_074374
http://www.pah.nhs.uk/files/c%29%20N...20Citizens.pdf

Last edited by quoll; May 25th 2013 at 5:28 pm.
Old May 25th 2013, 6:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
But couldn't you satisfy the authorities that this applies, in this case:

http://webarchive.nationalarchives.g...able/DH_128866

always assuming that the son was in the UK before arriving in Dubai and for the requisite period of ten years. Plus you need to prove you are only overseas working for up to five years.

Last edited by Pistolpete2; May 25th 2013 at 6:39 pm. Reason: Plus you need to prove........
Old May 25th 2013, 8:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pistolpete2
But couldn't you satisfy the authorities that this applies, in this case:

http://webarchive.nationalarchives.g...able/DH_128866

always assuming that the son was in the UK before arriving in Dubai and for the requisite period of ten years. Plus you need to prove you are only overseas working for up to five years.
Good catch!

It seems odd that someone out of the country for 6 months on holiday loses the right but someone working overseas for up to 5 yrs still gets it. Weird!
Old May 26th 2013, 12:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

Good catch!

It seems odd that someone out of the country for 6 months on holiday loses the right (actually might lose) but someone working overseas for up to 5 yrs still gets it. Weird!
Indeed! But the irony is that you would need to convince the NHS people that you are still ordinarily resident, as per your original post, and you would still get the benefit of NHS hospital treatment. Irony, because typically one is trying to convince the people at HMRC that one is not ordinarily resident but I would guess that if one can show one is still declaring taxes on one's world income because one is still ordinarily resident for tax purposes this must go a long way towards satisfying the NHS people. Ideally there would have to be a pattern of these 6 months on holiday, further ideally with no NHS hospital treatment just because of this issue, and being treated as ordinarily resident for tax purposes. This rule it seems is there to stop people having their cake and eating it.
Old May 26th 2013, 6:14 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: Ex pat children and access to UK NHS

Originally Posted by Pantgwyn
Presumably your son's employer provides medical insurance for him and the rest of the family?

We are on an expat posting and the company insures us for medical with BUPA International (a seperate division from the domestic BUPA organisation). It covers us worldwide, as do many medical insurance companies which cover employees on expatriate postings.

Which company is your son insured with?
Old May 26th 2013, 8:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Indeed! But the irony is that you would need to convince the NHS people that you are still ordinarily resident, as per your original post, and you would still get the benefit of NHS hospital treatment. Irony, because typically one is trying to convince the people at HMRC that one is not ordinarily resident but I would guess that if one can show one is still declaring taxes on one's world income because one is still ordinarily resident for tax purposes this must go a long way towards satisfying the NHS people. Ideally there would have to be a pattern of these 6 months on holiday, further ideally with no NHS hospital treatment just because of this issue, and being treated as ordinarily resident for tax purposes. This rule it seems is there to stop people having their cake and eating it.
It does say on another document I found that if you have "emigrated" then you lose the right. Very complicated!
Old May 26th 2013, 10:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

It does say on another document I found that if you have "emigrated" then you lose the right. Very complicated!
So this five year thing is just a tour of duty or posting it seems.
Old May 27th 2013, 4:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

That would be the nub I think.
Old May 27th 2013, 6:27 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I suspect it's for military personel and for staff of embassies and consulates as they are moving as part of their job for the government.