Estate agent speak ...

Old Dec 12th 2015, 9:37 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Estate agent speak ...

Originally Posted by ottotheboar
Put in an offer based on what your valuation less than their suggested price if you think that is the case. In most cases like this the seller knows exactly what the property is worth likewise the estate agents as they are just hoping someone will pay over the odds. Given the amount of property of sale in Newcastle if the estate agents can not value it find another one.
I've done the research on the property's transactions and on comparables in the area. His "over" price is perfectly reasonable and is simply what he paid for it himself 2 years ago,
Old Dec 12th 2015, 10:05 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Thanks V. Of course, no chain, cash buyer as you know. It's a funny one because the vendor is a rather well known choir master who has a standing offer to move to a job in Berlin.

He listed it with one agent in July, then got pissed off with them (I could explain why because we've had experience and they're useless). It was put on in September with the new agent.

If we get it, I'll post a pic of the stunning view.
Sounds like you're in a great position then - he needs to move to avoid the hassle that comes along with an unsold property and you are anyone's dream buyers. It's been on the market a reasonable amount of time too which suggests that it's over priced unless he has had an offer which fell through..
Old Dec 12th 2015, 10:08 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

I've done the research on the property's transactions and on comparables in the area. His "over" price is perfectly reasonable and is simply what he paid for it himself 2 years ago,
But did he overpay two years ago?? Just musing. I'm not someone who thinks it's good karma to be too rude with an offer if you think it's a fair valuation..
Old Dec 13th 2015, 7:24 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tirytory
But did he overpay two years ago?? Just musing. I'm not someone who thinks it's good karma to be too rude with an offer if you think it's a fair valuation..
I don't think so. Property values in Newcastle have been fairly flat over the last few years. Luckily for us.

If you lifted this property from it's location along the river Tyne and dropped it to an equivalent place on the Thames, you'd likely have to add a zero to the price.
Old Dec 13th 2015, 7:50 am
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Make your offer verbally. Personally, I'd ignore the estate agent verbiage and start by offering the asking price rather than 'over', or I'd even offer a bit less. This is a negotiating process and you can always offer more if you are rejected. Be prepared to justify your low offer. In your case the fact that house prices in Newcastle are static begs the question why the vendor should expect to make any profit at all on his sale.
Old Dec 13th 2015, 10:11 am
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by Editha
Make your offer verbally. Personally, I'd ignore the estate agent verbiage and start by offering the asking price rather than 'over', or I'd even offer a bit less. This is a negotiating process and you can always offer more if you are rejected. Be prepared to justify your low offer. In your case the fact that house prices in Newcastle are static begs the question why the vendor should expect to make any profit at all on his sale.
We'll see. The place is well within our budget and I imagine he'd prefer not to make a loss (counting transaction fees).
Old Dec 13th 2015, 12:40 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Fair enough, and my approach always reduces my OH to a gibbering wreck, clutching his head and moaning "We're going to lose the house! We're going to lose the house!"
Old Dec 13th 2015, 12:48 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Fair enough, and my approach always reduces my OH to a gibbering wreck, clutching his head and moaning "We're going to lose the house! We're going to lose the house!"
That's always the problem if you have your heart set on that one property, as opposed to just looking for "a" property. Those who get the best deals make their offer and are prepared to walk away - it is easy to forget that the seller goes through the same "we're going to lose the deal" anxiety.
Old Dec 13th 2015, 3:07 pm
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

We moved into our new house in August.

The house was for sale early in the year and sold, but subsequently fell through. The house went back on the market on an 'offers over' basis but we offered the asking price. They accepted as they had already found a house they loved so were in a hurry and we were first time buyers. There was a small chain which also works well.
I guess sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't depending on the vendors and buyers situation. I love my house

Good luck Novo hope you get it!
Old Dec 13th 2015, 3:35 pm
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by Lorry1
We moved into our new house in August.

The house was for sale early in the year and sold, but subsequently fell through. The house went back on the market on an 'offers over' basis but we offered the asking price. They accepted as they had already found a house they loved so were in a hurry and we were first time buyers. There was a small chain which also works well.
I guess sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't depending on the vendors and buyers situation. I love my house

Good luck Novo hope you get it!
Thank you.
Old Dec 13th 2015, 3:38 pm
Born again atheist

Poor man. Luckily, both of us tend to be more sanguine about houses. My OH always rips them apart and starts again from scratch anyway.
Old Dec 14th 2015, 8:57 am
Confirmed grumpy old man

Victor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond repute

Ditto everybody else's comments. I would try offering the asking price (or slightly less?) and then move up from that until you get a mutually agreeable price.

The offer is verbal first, usually over the phone or in person to the estate agent. Sometimes they will ask you to fill in/sign a form after the offer is accepted.

As other people have said even 'offers over' doesn't necessarily exempt 'offers under' as the estate agent is bound to tell the seller of all offers.

As the house has been on for a while and it is Christmas (when everyone else is tied up with 'Christmassy things' the market goes quiet so strike now before the New Year and people start to think again of new beginnings and the market gets more active.

If the house is exactly what you want then ultimately you need to take that into account.

Last edited by Victor Meldrew; Dec 14th 2015 at 9:07 am.
Old Dec 16th 2015, 3:43 pm
Born again atheist

Update: Over the weekend we decided to hold off on an offer until we'd viewed one more place which looked good. We visited this morning and didn't like it.

So the offer went in at lunchtime and we'll hear back tomorrow.
Old Dec 16th 2015, 4:04 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Update: Over the weekend we decided to hold off on an offer until we'd viewed one more place which looked good. We visited this morning and didn't like it.

So the offer went in at lunchtime and we'll hear back tomorrow.
Good Luck!
Old Dec 16th 2015, 4:07 pm
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by Tirytory
Good Luck!
Whatever thank you is in Welsh.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.