Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

ESL teacher in China, 60 next year, is returning to Wales a good plan B?

ESL teacher in China, 60 next year, is returning to Wales a good plan B?

Old Sep 16th 2014, 3:23 am
Just Joined

Christopher_John_Hurley is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: ESL teacher in China, 60 next year, is returning to Wales a good plan B?

Originally Posted by Tirytory
I've just left Swansea- that's a university city with some very nice beaches etc. Wales is a reasonably cheap place to live (relative to other places in the UK) and I think the welsh are very welcoming and of course I'm not biased at all

I guess you just have to work out how to support yourself! Sorry that one I can't offer any advice on but Wales is good!
Yes I know Swansea though I have not been there for many many many....a long time!
I still have extended family in and around Newport where I was born in South Wales. I am trying to make contact with them and some old school friends via face book, but as I said the main advice is to stay put as long as possible..so it is very heartening to hear something positive about Wales!!!
Old Sep 16th 2014, 7:06 am
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ESL teacher in China, 60 next year, is returning to Wales a good plan B?

Originally Posted by Christopher_John_Hurley
Hello Editha and thanks for your comments.
I understand that ESL teaching would not be well paid. Also it would be a different kettle of fish to teaching in China. But at least it is something I could do... if there is any kind of demand. The last time I travelled around the UK was something like 1995 so I imagine things are different now. I have heard a few ex pats in China complaining about how the UK has gone to the dogs, how bad the government is and how expensive it is and so many areas are not safe etc etc. They actively discourage me from considering this move so I am aware of that this possible move will be a big challenge. I do plan to take a trip to the UK at some point but I want to see if I can set up some opportunities to check out before I do....which is why I joined this website to get some feedback/ideas from people who have actually done it
Probably all countries have areas which are not safe (well maybe not Luxembourg), but you don't have to live in them. Crime in the UK has actually been falling.

What you've been told about the UK being expensive is true. London is a very expensive place to live now, but you don't have to live in London.

You will find information on cost of living in retirement on the Age UK site and the Rowntree Trust site that are on the Wiki page.