Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Entering the UK without BRP in hand at Immigration

Entering the UK without BRP in hand at Immigration

Old Mar 9th 2018, 11:56 am
BE Enthusiast

MonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Entering the UK without BRP in hand at Immigration

Dear All,

Obviously, the normal practice when travelling and returning to the UK during leave to enter status, is that you carry your passport and BRP with you.

My Wife's BRP is stuck with the DVLA who are flatly refusing to talk or contact those that process the driving license applications to locate the BRP or make a note to return it quicker. Essentially, any common sense approach to help is out the window. Frankly, I'm dumbstruck.

Is it therefore possible for her to travel at the end of this month and return a week later without the BRP in hand when she goes through immigration?

Many thanks!
Regards, MP
Old Mar 9th 2018, 12:21 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Entering the UK without BRP in hand at Immigration

Your wife is a Chinese citizen, correct? What application has she made to the DVLA and when did she apply?
Old Mar 9th 2018, 12:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

MonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Your wife is a Chinese citizen, correct? What application has she made to the DVLA and when did she apply?
Nice to hear from you again BIP!

Yes, she is. She's applied for the Provisional Driving License.

It seems that the general policy in the call centres is to screen calls and not dig out files much further if they can avoid it.
Old Mar 9th 2018, 12:46 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MonsterP
Nice to hear from you again BIP!

Yes, she is. She's applied for the Provisional Driving License.

It seems that the general policy in the call centres is to screen calls and not dig out files much further if they can avoid it.
Hello to you too

You didn't mentioned how long you had been waiting but my experience is it doesn't take more than a couple of weeks for a licence to be issued. I think my Australian partner's licence exchange took less than two.
Old Mar 9th 2018, 12:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yes, sorry, they received it on Monday of this week by RMSD.

I'll try the call centre again, maybe I can get someone in a Friday mode rather than a Monday mode this time!

I'll update later.
Old Mar 9th 2018, 1:10 pm

Yes, sorry, they received it on Monday of this week by RMSD.

I'll try the call centre again, maybe I can get someone in a Friday mode rather than a Monday mode this time!

I'll update later.
That's not a lot of time! Give it until next Friday before you call again.
Old Mar 12th 2018, 11:13 pm
Forum Regular

Benson55 is an unknown quantity at this point

Sounds like an admin mix up at DVLC
Old Mar 14th 2018, 10:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Update - I called the DVLA again last Friday, asked Kindly for a favour again to escalate the situation to find out where the ID document was. The woman I spoke to initially said that "the Managers don't do anything", which was no surprise judging from the call centre attitude, but I kept trying with her. Suddenly, she said that she will call the processing team while I'm on hold!!!! Big shock, I held on, then she put me through to them directly!!!
The processing team were great, like nothing was a problem, helpful, and located the document immediately and called back ten minutes later, plus we received it in our pre-paid RMSD on Monday.

Let's face it, all we want to do is have a conversation with someone and get a logical, helpful response. Why they train these call centres to be so faceless and awkward is certainly not for business purposes.

Relief!
Old Mar 14th 2018, 11:18 am

I guess it depends who you speak to. I’ve nothing but praise for the customer service I’ve had from the DVLA in the past.

Glad to hear you got it sorted. Will your wife still receive her provisional licence?
Old Mar 14th 2018, 4:14 pm
Forum Regular

Benson55 is an unknown quantity at this point

Update - I called the DVLA again last Friday, asked Kindly for a favour again to escalate the situation to find out where the ID document was. The woman I spoke to initially said that "the Managers don't do anything", which was no surprise judging from the call centre attitude, but I kept trying with her. Suddenly, she said that she will call the processing team while I'm on hold!!!! Big shock, I held on, then she put me through to them directly!!!
The processing team were great, like nothing was a problem, helpful, and located the document immediately and called back ten minutes later, plus we received it in our pre-paid RMSD on Monday.

Let's face it, all we want to do is have a conversation with someone and get a logical, helpful response. Why they train these call centres to be so faceless and awkward is certainly not for business purposes.

Relief!

Well there you go, holding on and trying to get through did in fact work in the end.
Call centres work upon number of calls received and 'dealt with' not taking into account the outcome and this is how the managers are judged.