Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Entering UK via Dublin layover

Entering UK via Dublin layover

Old Apr 1st 2019, 7:52 pm
Just Joined

TorontotoGlasgow is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Entering UK via Dublin layover

Wondering if anyone has had experience entering the UK via Dublin and the impact of activating their vignette for the settlement visa. I was looking to fly internationally into Dublin with a 2 hour layover and then onwards. Thinking of doing this for cost purposes, but obviously if it creates hassle down the road not worth it.

I have read some people have had issues and others who did not as long as they kept their boarding passes. Anyone with recent experience especially when applying for the 2nd 2.5 year visa and ILR would be great to hear!
Old Apr 2nd 2019, 2:17 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Entering UK via Dublin layover

No idea about immigration matters as I am a dual national (British and American). However, a few months ago I decided to avoid flying into Heathrow and chose to fly with Aer Lingus from Newark, NJ to Birmingham, England via Dublin. It was interesting at the immigration desk in Dublin, I produced my British passport and the guy saw my US passport in the same passport holder; he said that maybe I would like to use my US passport so I could have Irish immigration stamps put in them (I chose not to). However, when my connecting flight landed at Birmingham airport it was just like a US or UK domestic flight...I just went to baggage reclaim and then walked out of the terminal.

Btw; returning to the US was an interesting experience...I flew from Birmingham to Dublin on what I thought would be a quiet time of the month and midweek....I was astonished when I arrived at Dublin to see the US pre-clearance area absolutely jam-packed! OTOH my boarding pass had been annotated SSSS so I had been selected for extra security screening....but it did mean that I was pulled out of the lines of people waiting to go through the scanning machines )
Old Apr 6th 2019, 12:19 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Entering UK via Dublin layover

There are no passport controls thanks to the Common Travel Area so that would not be a good idea.