Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Englishman in the Twin Cities (my K3 emigration experience!)

Englishman in the Twin Cities (my K3 emigration experience!)

Old Sep 23rd 2003, 3:08 pm
Forum Regular

speedyvespa is on a distinguished road
Default Englishman in the Twin Cities (my K3 emigration experience!)

Hello!

Well, on the 18th of September, myself and my wife left Blighty with most of my worldly possessions for the USA, K-3 in hand and two guitars in tow which yet again fooled the aircraft crew into believing we were touring rock stars or something.

Bloody bumpy ride as we neared the US because of Isobel, clambered off the plane and on to customs...

I entered the 'non-us citizens' (red) channel, where I was handed a red file to place my I-94 and customs forms in (note: not placing these in said folder irritates the Immigration officials greatly) and was directed to the Immigration office (ulp). The officer dealt with me in that calm, slow, deliberate manner in which all people in officialdom seem to, and opened my mysterious sealed brown envelope, which by the way seems to contain nothing more than my completed documents, photos, copies etc... sorry to bust a bubble there! He eventually stamped my passport and stapled in it my I-94 and sent me on my merry way. He said that normally all incoming people would be given an interview in one of the rooms behind me (where I could hear other interviews taking place - as I could work out, they were the stock questions and if you have nothing to hide then you also have nothing to worry about) but as I was 'top rate' it wasn't necessary. Wheee! And I told them that *all* along. Tsk.

So that's it! Very easy, painless and here I am, now trying to work out what to do next.

Apologies for not including my timeline, but I was working on it and left it in the UK on my comp. Will be forthcoming.

- Jed
Old Sep 23rd 2003, 3:13 pm
SUPER CRUNCHY BALCONY COW

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute
Default :):)

Congrats!! I am glad to hear you didn't have any problem to enter in the states
Good Luck to you on the rest of the process...
Old Sep 23rd 2003, 4:36 pm
Dazed and Confused

KatherineH is an unknown quantity at this point

Welcome to Minnesota! You got here at a wonderful time of year, but start warming up for winter now!

(Just a plug, even though I don't work for them...check out the Mill City Museum - http://www.millcitymuseum.org - it just opened and it's REALLY cool)

Congrats!
-Katherine
Old Sep 23rd 2003, 5:34 pm
Forum Regular

AnnaV is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by KatherineH
Welcome to Minnesota! You got here at a wonderful time of year, but start warming up for winter now!

(

And don't forget to winterize your car!

A friend from Texas was absolutely shocked upon moving there that such a word even exists. He thought we were pulling his leg, until he found his car buried in snow one fine January morning, and the car absolutely refused to show any signs of life.
Old Sep 25th 2003, 11:46 am
unDAUNTEd

KissingtheBrit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Englishman in the Twin Cities (my K3 emigration experience!)

Welcome to Minnesota Jed! We're just south of the Twin Cities.

My husband is originally from Manchester and his biggest problem adjusting to life in Minny was the "dry air". I've lived here all my life and don't know what that means...but he says the air is a lot different from England.

Good luck to you and GO VIKES!

Angela, David and KJ
Old Sep 25th 2003, 8:20 pm
Forum Regular

speedyvespa is on a distinguished road

Ta for the welcome - and another Red Manc in the Twin Cities? Now I'm really made up. :0)

See you in Brits for the derby games...

- Jed
Old Sep 26th 2003, 5:31 am
Dekkas Angel

Default Re: Englishman in the Twin Cities (my K3 emigration experience!)

I wouldn't know because I can't read and I won't apologize when I am wrong.
I must be a lying troll who cant read.
"KatherineH" <member14712@british_expats.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Welcome to Minnesota! You got here at a wonderful time of year, but
    > start warming up for winter now!
    > (Just a plug, even though I don't work for them...check out the Mill
    > City Museum - http://www.millcitymuseum.org - it just opened
    > and it's REALLY cool)
    > Congrats!
    > -Katherine
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Sep 26th 2003, 11:50 am
unDAUNTEd

KissingtheBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by speedyvespa
Ta for the welcome - and another Red Manc in the Twin Cities? Now I'm really made up. :0)

See you in Brits for the derby games...

- Jed

mmmm...Brits Pub...now you've got me hungry. Just took my husband's mum there when she was visiting from the UK. Nice big plate of fish and chips and a side of scotch eggs. My husband is never happier....well, except when the Reds have beaten Arsenal.

Angela