Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

English style chinese food in NYC?

English style chinese food in NYC?

Old Jul 24th 2009, 5:02 am

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: English style chinese food in NYC?

Land on 81st and 2nd has amazing Thai food
Old Jul 24th 2009, 3:23 pm
Diamond Geezer

Ridski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Ridski - if you like noodles, get yourself down to 'Republic' at Union Square. Very cheap and cheerful, you sit at long tables or at the bar and I'm happy to dine there alone. It's all SE Asian food, mainly Thai-influenced and here's the menu:

http://nymag.com/listings/restaurant...enus/main.html

I'm trying to think of the name of that Chinese place in Elizabeth Street in Chinatown, NYC....you can't miss it as it has the escalators at the entrance. It's a great place for dim-sum (where they come to the table with carts and you choose what you want eg. dumplings) and it's always packed with Chinese customers, so you know it's good....have to get there early on a Sunday as it's so popular. I always take visitors there.
Hi Englishmum! Hope everything's going well out there in Singapore. Yes, I've been to Republic, and it was great. I think I've also been to that Chinese restaurant on Elizabeth, but couldn't find a menu in English, so ended up skipping it. Can't go to Chinatown without getting bubble tea from what used to be Saint's Alp, though. Awesome stuff. Could go a pint now, actually.
Old Jul 26th 2009, 2:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute

When I fancy a chinky take out in the Yonkers / Bronx area I call some place up that does really good grub, as good as the English ...... unfortunately the menu along with address is in my truck across the street and I am not going out at this time of night to get it .... I could get attacked by a bear or something

If I remember tomorrow I will wander over and then PM the number to you.
Old Jul 26th 2009, 3:42 pm
Illinois Rapscallion

Circus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond repute

The Chinese food in central Illinois is awful....from the large buffet style places to the small family run takeaways....English Chinese bland ???... WTF ....they daren't spice any of the food up around here ...the farmers can not handle it.The menu's are like a trip back to the 1970's ...One local place lets you spice your food on the 1-5 scale (5 obviously being the hottest)....last time we went,I ordered it #8 hot and it was still not searing the tastebuds....thank the Lord for Sriracha hot sauce
Don't even get me going on about Indian food :curse:
Old Jul 26th 2009, 5:16 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

In NY somewhere in midtown / East side there is an 'Indian-Chinese' place that makes Chinese food like they have it 'localized' in India. I'll try to get the name of it but I hear it's quite an adventure.
Old Jul 27th 2009, 3:18 pm
Diamond Geezer

Ridski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinsix
In NY somewhere in midtown / East side there is an 'Indian-Chinese' place that makes Chinese food like they have it 'localized' in India. I'll try to get the name of it but I hear it's quite an adventure.
Well, I work around there, so if you find it out, I'll try to check it out, too.
Old Jul 27th 2009, 4:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinsix
I have an Indian co-worker who was able to find "Indian Chinese" in Toronto recently. She misses it, and there's no such place in Cleveland.
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 1:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

bugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond repute

i must admit i find the americanised chinesefood pretty bad, well its not that it tastes bad as such, its just a whole lot of fat and sugar in one sitting, only the very plain 'moo goo gai pan' seems like a healthy choice in our local.

In the chicago area ive tried a few more traditional places like the hong kong cafe in schaumburg, you can get something not sweet and with lots of leafy vegetables!

of course china town in chicago is great too. The 'jockey wok and rolls' in schaumburg is good for dim sum, as far as i can tell its pretty authentic, well assuming that a place filled with chinese customers supposes anyway.

another great place for asian food is the mitsuwa japanese supermarket in arlington heights, aside from the suprisingly big grocer store the food court has really good korean/japanese ramen/chinese dim sum/soups/japanese tempura stalls. actually i think thedim sum stall is provided for by jockey wok and rolls as mentioned above (its called the jockey express in mitsuwa) interestingly theres also a bakery in the building that does some really good euro style pastries (and more typically asian style bean buns etc) and some suprisingly soft sliced breads.

you can pick and chose bit from several of the stalls which is handy as you can have a bowl of pretty autentic ramen (the ramen stall is very popular) and some chines dim sum next to it.

if im in the area i always go in and get salt ramen and a bowl of fermented soy beans (netto) which has an amazing texture like glue, its really very good.

Last edited by bugman; Aug 3rd 2009 at 2:04 pm.