Reload this Page >

Eligibility to receive Social Security if I return to UK from the USA

Eligibility to receive Social Security if I return to UK from the USA

Old Oct 3rd 2015, 9:24 pm
Just Joined

RollTide is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Eligibility to receive Social Security if I return to UK from the USA

Hello everyone.

I am very seriously contemplating returning to live in the UK after living in the US for 25 years. The main reason is that my mother is getting older (80) and is now experiencing health issues. I also have very strong family ties back in the UK.

My main question is that would I be eligible to receive Social Security from my ex-spouse's Social Security benefits when I reach full retirement age in 11 years. I have never become a US citizen but do hold an Alien Registration Card (Green Card) and have done so whilst here. Would this affect me receiving any benefits?

Any advice would be welcome.
Old Oct 3rd 2015, 10:17 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Eligibility to receive Social Security if I return to UK from the USA

Welcome to BE.

Not sure if this thread would be best in the US forums. If you don't get many responses in this forum I will move it over there. Good luck.
Old Oct 4th 2015, 4:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

holly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Eligibility to receive Social Security if I return to UK from the USA

Originally Posted by RollTide
Hello everyone.

I am very seriously contemplating returning to live in the UK after living in the US for 25 years. The main reason is that my mother is getting older (80) and is now experiencing health issues. I also have very strong family ties back in the UK.

My main question is that would I be eligible to receive Social Security from my ex-spouse's Social Security benefits when I reach full retirement age in 11 years. I have never become a US citizen but do hold an Alien Registration Card (Green Card) and have done so whilst here. Would this affect me receiving any benefits?

Any advice would be welcome.
It is explained here:
http://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10137.pdf

Entitlement depends on foreign (non-US) citizenship as well as on foreign (non-US) residence..
Old Oct 4th 2015, 7:08 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Holly for the response. I have been going through my documents in preparation of the move and just discovered that my 'Green Card' expires next month. Will I need to renew this in order to qualify for the benefits due to me in 11 years.

In reading through the link to the SS document it would appear to me that I do not have to be a US citizen residing in the US to receive but I'm unsure as to the 'Alien Resident' status on this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old Oct 5th 2015, 8:40 am
BE Forum Addict

theOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond repute

In reading through the link to the SS document it would appear to me that I do not have to be a US citizen residing in the US to receive but I'm unsure as to the 'Alien Resident' status on this.
I can't comment on a situation involving a spousal benefit to an "ex", but IMHO, if you are entitled to a benefit as an ex in the US, then there should be no problem receiving the same benefit if you are a UK citizen living in the UK without US citizenship. Normally, UKCs entitled to a spousal benefit need not be a USC, nor need they have ever lived or worked in the US.

This comes about as a result of a Totalisation Agreement between the US and UK. From the agreement:

"Absence From US Territory

Normally, persons who are not U.S. citizens may receive U.S. Social Security benefits while outside the U.S. only if they meet certain requirements. Under the agreement, however, you may receive benefits as long as you reside in the United Kingdom regardless of your nationality."

http://www.socialsecurity.gov/intern...phlets/uk.html

A letter to the SSA International office should clarify, the address is at the bottom of the above link.

Last edited by theOAP; Oct 5th 2015 at 8:46 am. Reason: Formatting
Old Oct 5th 2015, 4:26 pm
Just Joined

Hello

Thanks for the responses. Just got off the phone with the Social Security Administration. Due to my marriage being over the ten year threshold then I can claim Divorced Spouse Benefits at retirement age, whilst living in the UK as a UK citizen.

Also was told that if my ex dies unmarried then I will qualify for 100% of his benefits!!!! Just a thought!
Old Oct 8th 2015, 12:43 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Hello

Just a thought!
I sent you my fee schedule.