EEA to UK

Old May 31st 2017, 7:11 am
Just Joined

jurgt is an unknown quantity at this point
Default EEA to UK

Hi all,

I know I am not British, but I thought this is the best forum to ask this question.

Some background info

I am a Dutch national expat living in Indonesia for the past 7 years, together with my wife with whom I've been married to since jan. 2016 (together for 7 years). I want to travel with my wife to the UK as I may have a job opportunity in the UK. I'd like to travel at the same date with her.

My wife is pregnant (3 months) and I like to move to the UK before she gives birth early December.

My question: what is the best way to do this?
  • Do I first need to sign the contract and fly together with my wife to the UK on a Family card?
  • Can I go together with my wife if she has a tourist visa and then apply for the Family card?
  • And of course, a priority question: can she get maternity care (also possible caesar) to avoid extreme costs for getting the baby?
  • Would she be able to get a job - if so, what are the visa requirements?

Depending on the best possible routes, I can continue and pursuit this job. Our plan is to stay indefinitely in the UK as I would work there. I just would like to go together, rather than individually.

the UK gov website does give certain information like applying for the EEA Family card whilst we are both abroad, but not sure what my requirements are as I have not (been) 3 months in the UK. Would a contract with a job and place of stay prior to flying to the UK be sufficient to apply for this card?

Much appreciated if anyone can provide me some details.

cheers
Old May 31st 2017, 3:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: EEA to UK

You apply for the EU Family card before you move to the UK

You don't need to sign/have contract before you go if YOU are an EU citizen

If you have EU Family card your wife will be eligible for NHS treatment

She will be able to work once in the UK

The card is for 6 months. She can apply for permanent resident card at any time.

Following three months in UK you will need to be a qualified person ie. working/self sufficient etc in order to obtain to remain.
Old May 31st 2017, 11:55 pm
Just Joined

jurgt is an unknown quantity at this point

Great!

I guess that's all I needed to hear.

Thanks for this info!
Old Jun 3rd 2017, 6:10 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
You apply for the EU Family card before you move to the UK

You don't need to sign/have contract before you go if YOU are an EU citizen

If you have EU Family card your wife will be eligible for NHS treatment

She will be able to work once in the UK

The card is for 6 months. She can apply for permanent resident card at any time.

Following three months in UK you will need to be a qualified person ie. working/self sufficient etc in order to obtain to remain.
I will assume that the OP's wife is an Indonesian citizen.

Mrs jurgt will need to apply for her EEA Family Permit before she travels to the UK. It is valid for six months once issued. Mr jurgt can move to the UK with his wife to take up employment. Once Mr jurgt starts work it would be a good idea, although not strictly necessary, for both of them to apply for residence - Mr jurgt can apply for an EEA Registration Certificate (apply online) and Mrs jurgt will need an EEA Residence Card (apply on paper). These are valid for five years. After five years then they can both apply for permanent residence although this procedure may change depending on the outcome of the Brexit negotiations.

Providing Mr jurgt is working then Mrs jurgt's antenatal and postnatal care will be free of charge on the NHS.