Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Education: Not sure what to do....

Education: Not sure what to do....

Old Jul 31st 2013, 7:47 pm
Just Joined

KayLeanne is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Education: Not sure what to do....

I'm 25 years old and living in Vancouver, Canada. I was born in England and have been back a few times (am holder of british passport). I have family in both England & Scotland.
Eventually, I intend to move to England because I am going into fashion marketing and hope to get a job in London.
I have been accepted into a 2-year program in Vancouver to start in January for general marketing but have started looking at my options in the UK as far as education goes. I am worried that when I start applying for jobs in London, they will prefer someone with local education ..someone who has gone to a university in England for fashion marketing. I don't know what to do because I am very eager to move and would much rather do my education over there. I'm having a difficult time comparing my gpa with their education requirements (A levels, BBBC...etc??) because I did all my schooling in Canada. Google doesn't seem to be much help to me either. Also trying to find out, since I have been living outside of the UK for so long, would I have to pay international student fees or home?
Thanks for reading
Old Jul 31st 2013, 7:53 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Education: Not sure what to do....

The only part I know of is you will be charged international fees to do your degree in UK.
Old Aug 1st 2013, 9:46 am
BE Enthusiast

jemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to behold

I can't see that being educated in Canada would count against you. Fashion is an international industry, after all, so your transatlantic perspective would be a positive.
We came back a year ago from five years in the USA, and it's interesting to see which US brands are raved about by fashion journos here, like the passion for J. Crew, Anthropologie and Banana Republic.
To get an evaluation of your qualifications you can use www.wes.org/ca
Academic institutions seem to accept their translations of qualifications. We used them when my son transferred from a UK to a US university.
Where are you thinking of going? London College of Fashion? There seems to be quite a lot of choice in London. Good luck, and think positive!
Old Aug 3rd 2013, 3:39 am
Just Joined

KayLeanne is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your replies. I will check out the website that you recommended.
I've been thinking a lot more about it and it may be a good idea to finish my marketing diploma in Vancouver and then study fashion in England instead of jumping the gun, that way I will be more prepared. I am hoping to go to the University of Hertfordshire. They have a Marketing with Fashion course that looks really good. Hopefully this all works out!! I am planning to call Monday morning to talk with a uni advisor