Dual National I-130

Old May 24th 2013, 1:55 pm
Just Joined

Cyrene is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Dual National I-130

Hi everyone
I have a simple question which I've been trying to find the answer to, but can't seem to! I'm a dual national US/UK (UK naturalised) and want to move back to the US with my British husband via the I-130 route. I know the US is a bit unsupportive of its citizens naturalising, so my question is, on the I-130 form should I state both nationalities or just the one that matters for the application (ie. the US citizenship). I assume they will find out in interviews anyway (?), but I want to make sure nothing hampers the application and/or they don't think I am obfuscating anything!
Old May 24th 2013, 2:21 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dual National I-130

There is no way to state both nationalities on the I-130 form. The form asks only, if you are a US citizen, how you obtained your US citizenship.

If you want to avoid causing unnecessary confusion, do not be trying to introduce extraneous information that is not requested and is not relevant.

Regards, JEff
Old May 24th 2013, 2:29 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for replying and sorry Jeffrehy - you are right, what I meant was the top line of the G-325A form (Homeland Security) that goes with the I-130 - asks for "Citizenship/Nationality" ...
Old May 24th 2013, 3:07 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cyrene
Thanks for replying and sorry Jeffrehy - you are right, what I meant was the top line of the G-325A form (Homeland Security) that goes with the I-130 - asks for "Citizenship/Nationality" ...
For the purpose of filing an I-130, you are a USC. If you have been living in the UK for 6+ months, be aware that you can file the I-130 directly to the USCIS field office in London, and the process will be a bit quicker for you that way (4 - 5 months as opposed to 8 - 10 if filed in the USA).

Rene
Old May 24th 2013, 4:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

In the eyes of US authorities you are only ever a USC, they don't really care if you have collected other citizenships.
Old May 24th 2013, 5:49 pm
Just Joined

Hi Nora thanks for that - it's interesting you mention the USCIS route because that is what got me thinking about all this in the first place - basically if I go USCIS I have to prove to them how I have been able to be in the UK for 6+ months, and the only way I could do that is by sending in a photocopy of my UK passport (as that's my proof)...which then makes it obvious I am US/UK dual national, and if I haven't put that on the aforementioned form...back to the original question: would they see that as a problem? (D'you see what I mean? )

I had also heard that applying via the US lockbox route was quicker, so it is nice to know that that may not be the case after all!
Old May 24th 2013, 5:57 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cyrene
Hi Nora thanks for that - it's interesting you mention the USCIS route because that is what got me thinking about all this in the first place - basically if I go USCIS I have to prove to them how I have been able to be in the UK for 6+ months...
The I-130 will go through USCIS no matter what. It's just that if you've been living in the UK for 6+ months, you are able to send the I-130 directly to London, instead of to the lockbox in the USA.

... and the only way I could do that is by sending in a photocopy of my UK passport (as that's my proof)...which then makes it obvious I am US/UK dual national, and if I haven't put that on the aforementioned form...back to the original question: would they see that as a problem? (D'you see what I mean? )
It's not a problem. However, being a UKC doesn't mean you've been living in the UK for 6+ months, so if you want to submit to London directly, include some kind of proof that you've been living in the UK for 6+ months.

I had also heard that applying via the US lockbox route was quicker, so it is nice to know that that may not be the case after all!
I think I've seen one report where a USC living in the UK filed to the Chicago lockbox and got a "faster" response than a USC living in the USA. But I'd say the data on that is insufficient, and if you file to the USA you should be prepared to experience the 8 - 10 month time frame, just in case.

Rene
Old May 24th 2013, 8:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

henryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond repute

You don't have to go to any lengths to hide the fact that you are a UKC in addition to a USC - the US doesn't care and won't penalize you in any way. The objective is to avoid confusing them into thinking somehow that you are ONLY a UKC. So in general, when asked for your nationality, you say USC. If you have to present a UK passport for some purpose, it's fine to do that.