Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Dual citizen moving back to UK needs simple step-by-step instructions

Dual citizen moving back to UK needs simple step-by-step instructions

Old Mar 12th 2015, 8:42 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dual citizen moving back to UK needs simple step-by-step instructions

Originally Posted by HKG3
You can get your UK passport quicker by paying more!

You can renew your British Passport at a Passport Office and get it on the same day for £128 (premium service) or within one week for £103 (fast track service). Please see link below -

https://www.gov.uk/get-a-passport-urgently
Not a possibility for a first time adult application, which it was in this case, but this would apply for an adult renewal.
Old Mar 19th 2015, 5:27 pm
Just Joined

samosa is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Dual citizen moving back to UK needs simple step-by-step instructions

I wonder about health services - can expats returning to UK get registered with a GP the day they arrive? Or is it like the JSA that they have to wait for three months?
Old Mar 19th 2015, 5:31 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by samosa
I wonder about health services - can expats returning to UK get registered with a GP the day they arrive? Or is it like the JSA that they have to wait for three months?
As long as you can make a declaration that you have moved back to the UK permanently, then you should be good to go from day one. NHS cover is a residence based system, full time resident in UK, you are covered.
Old Mar 19th 2015, 5:46 pm
Just Joined

samosa is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mikelincs
As long as you can make a declaration that you have moved back to the UK permanently, then you should be good to go from day one. NHS cover is a residence based system, full time resident in UK, you are covered.
That's wonderful to know. A fellow expat was telling me that I was stupid to fill in the P85 and that there are many things I won't be able to get access to becoz I have done that.
Old Mar 19th 2015, 6:17 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by samosa
That's wonderful to know. A fellow expat was telling me that I was stupid to fill in the P85 and that there are many things I won't be able to get access to becoz I have done that.
Well your friend is stupid....it's stupid not to file a P85 as you will continue to be taxed as a UK resident.

P85 just updates HMRC about your residency status so that they can adjust you tax. When you return to the UK with the intention to stay then you have become UK resident again and will be taxed as a resident and get all the benefits too. You should contact HMRC to change your status, apply for NHS cards, get on the electoral register etc asap. NHS coverage starts the day you return with the intention to stay.
Old Mar 19th 2015, 11:34 pm
Joined 28/05/2011

CaptainDave is an unknown quantity at this point

Do I have both my Australian Passport and British Passport stamped with departure stamp in which case I assume I present both for entry stamp. Do they still have a separate aisle for "British Passport Holders"
Still trying to find best International Removal Company. I think I remember some very negative comments about OSS in this foruim, does anybody have any thoughts about this.
Many thanks,
Cap'n Dave
Old Mar 20th 2015, 12:19 am
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CaptainDave
Do I have both my Australian Passport and British Passport stamped with departure stamp in which case I assume I present both for entry stamp. Do they still have a separate aisle for "British Passport Holders"
Still trying to find best International Removal Company. I think I remember some very negative comments about OSS in this foruim, does anybody have any thoughts about this.
Many thanks,
Cap'n Dave
If you are a UK citizen returning to the UK just use the UK passport.
Old Mar 20th 2015, 12:24 am
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CaptainDave
Many thanks,
Cap'n Dave
Australia has exit border control so you need to show your Australian passport as you have to exit and leave on your Australian passport if you are an Australian citizen.

Use your UK passport when entering the UK.