Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Dual citizen moving back to UK needs simple step-by-step instructions

Dual citizen moving back to UK needs simple step-by-step instructions

Old Sep 19th 2014, 10:33 am
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dual citizen moving back to UK needs simple step-by-step instructions

You'll be eligible for benefits as soon as you pass the HRT. The three month wait doesn't apply to British citizens.
Thanks for that. I thought it did apply to British Citizens.
Old Nov 28th 2014, 12:58 am
Just Joined

Katie Mac is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Dual citizen moving back to UK needs simple step-by-step instructions

This is super helpful - thanks all!
Old Nov 28th 2014, 7:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Vadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond repute

As far as the passport goes, I applied on 11/11/14 using post office check and send service and had my passport exactly 2 weeks later. This was my 1st British PP, so also had to attend an interview. The whole process was unbelievably efficient.

Renewing your PP here after you arrive should be quite fast.
Old Nov 28th 2014, 9:48 am
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Editha
Thanks for that. I thought it did apply to British Citizens.
You're right, it does apply to UK passport holders if they have been out of the UK for more than 52 weeks, as my quote showed in post 7.
Old Nov 28th 2014, 2:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by formula
You're right, it does apply to UK passport holders if they have been out of the UK for more than 52 weeks, as my quote showed in post 7.
I should have added, this wait doesn't seem to apply to UK passport holders for Housing Benefit, if they have less than 16k savings. Although the LHA rates (housing benefit rates) often don't cover the entire rent. Waiting for housing benefit does apply for EEAs looking for work and they have to meet a time scale to find work too, it now seems.

At the moment, for those that have lived outside the UK and RoI for more than 52 weeks, income based JSA is a 3 month wait for UK passport holders. Child Tax Credits and Child Benefit is a 3 month wait if they aren't working.

For all of the sick benefits, you need to have lived here for 24 of the last 36 months. The same for Carer's Allowance. For disabled children under age 3, the wait is less.

Last edited by formula; Nov 28th 2014 at 3:04 pm.
Old Nov 28th 2014, 5:53 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

I think it does apply to housing benefit claimants.

Eligibility for income based jobseeker's allowance is a 'passport' to housing benefit, so if someone doesn't qualify for one, they don't qualify for the other.

That's what the following House of Commons briefing says anyway:
www.parliament.uk/briefing-papers/sn06889.pdf
Old Dec 1st 2014, 1:40 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

The OP should let the IRS and SSA know that she's moving and send change of address forms. They should also inform any insurance companies, pensions, investment firms and banks where they still have interests.

Obviously they need to file US taxes each year and should have arranged their finances to make this as easy as possible. Many of the benefits mentioned are UK tax free, but annoyingly, they are liable for US tax when paid to a US citizen.
Old Dec 1st 2014, 5:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Editha
I think it does apply to housing benefit claimants.

Eligibility for income based jobseeker's allowance is a 'passport' to housing benefit, so if someone doesn't qualify for one, they don't qualify for the other.

That's what the following House of Commons briefing says anyway:
www.parliament.uk/briefing-papers/sn06889.pdf

Thanks. Interesting. Changes again. And more to come for jobseekers, if that recent EU ruling is anything to go by.

From your link, it seems it will now be just 3 months out the UK that can trigger these regulations for income based benefits. 3 months outside the UK might not affect contribution based JSA as that is based on the previous 2 tax years.

And now it reads that it is a 3 month wait for child related benefits, even if they are working.

I know that UK citizens were never allowed to return for benefits and it seems this 'wait before being able to claim income based benefits' is now giving "clarity" as they put. They must have the same rules as EEAs arriving in the UK.

Jobseeker's Housing Benefit is ended after 2 years. The difference being that job seeking EEAs will now see their UK benefits end after a few months. That could change to no benefits for job seeking EEAs if they haven't paid in to the UK, so I wonder if that would have to be the same for arriving UK passport holders?

I know the single parent EEAs who moved to the UK, don't work and have children under age 5, have recently had UK benefits stopped because they weren't an EEA "qualified person" either.

Last edited by formula; Dec 1st 2014 at 5:44 pm.
Old Mar 10th 2015, 10:14 pm
Just Joined

frecklesboo is an unknown quantity at this point

NEXT QUESTION!! :-)
I am a dual UK/US citizen moving back to the UK to live and take care of my mum. What do I need to do to keep my US citizenship? Will I lose it if I don't return frequently to the US? HELP? My husband posed the question. He will remain in the US for a number or years and then look for employment in the UK. Oh... he is a US citizen.
Old Mar 10th 2015, 10:19 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by frecklesboo
I am a dual UK/US citizen moving back to the UK to live and take care of my mum. What do I need to do to keep my US citizenship? Will I lose it if I don't return frequently to the US? HELP? My husband posed the question. He will remain in the US for a number or years and then look for employment in the UK. Oh... he is a US citizen.
You can't lose your US citizenship by living outside the US. You should however file a tax return every year.
Old Mar 10th 2015, 10:21 pm
Just Joined

Thank you for your quick response!
Old Mar 10th 2015, 10:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Vadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by frecklesboo
why would you think you lose citizenship by living outside the USA? Doesn't happen, in fact, you have to pay $2450 (current fee) and go through a process to relinquish citizenship.

Your husband will need a visa if he is not a dual national (UK or other EU citizenship). He can't just come and look for work in the UK. You have to sponsor him, and meet the financial and other requirements. Lots of info here and other sites about that process.
Old Mar 10th 2015, 10:25 pm
Just Joined

Thank you Vadio. Good to know.
Old Mar 10th 2015, 10:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Actually you MUST file a tax return if your income is > the threshold for your filing status. Assuming your US husband continues to file MFJ, that would be covered, but your income (if any) would need to be included, inclusive of carer's allowance, etc.
Old Mar 12th 2015, 8:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

HKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vadio
As far as the passport goes, I applied on 11/11/14 using post office check and send service and had my passport exactly 2 weeks later. This was my 1st British PP, so also had to attend an interview. The whole process was unbelievably efficient.

Renewing your PP here after you arrive should be quite fast.
You can get your UK passport quicker by paying more!

You can renew your British Passport at a Passport Office and get it on the same day for £128 (premium service) or within one week for £103 (fast track service). Please see link below -

https://www.gov.uk/get-a-passport-urgently

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.