Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Dual citizen moving back to UK needs simple step-by-step instructions

Dual citizen moving back to UK needs simple step-by-step instructions

Old Sep 2nd 2014, 10:27 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dual citizen moving back to UK needs simple step-by-step instructions

Originally Posted by frecklesboo
Hello,

I will fly from Indianapolis to Detroit and from Detroit to Amsterdam and finally from Amsterdam to Newcastle upon Tyne, England.

I am so worried about my Mum.
Whereabouts in Newcastle? As it turns out we'll be doing much the same thing a few months later when I retire and for much the same reason (aged OH's father needs looking after).

He lives in Gosforth but I think we'll look for a place at the Coast, likely Tynemouth or North Shields.
Old Sep 2nd 2014, 10:38 pm
Forum Regular

cityboys1911 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Dual citizen moving back to UK needs simple step-by-step instructions

does anybody have the answer
Old Sep 2nd 2014, 10:41 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cityboys1911
does anybody have the answer
http://britishexpats.com/forum/movin.../#post11390317
Old Sep 2nd 2014, 10:53 pm
Just Joined

frecklesboo is an unknown quantity at this point

I am not sure cityboys1911.
There are many posts regarding obtaining a British Passport after it has ran out. Try this. Good luck. :-)
Experience of renewing UK passport from overseas
http://britishexpats.com/forum/citiz...erseas-815712/
Old Sep 3rd 2014, 11:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Lorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond repute

I like all the posts but I have a question, I became a US citizen in 2007 but I still hold my UK passport which I need to renew this year will I have a problem getting it renewed as we plan to go back to UK next year to live.
You should have no problems getting your UK passport renewed as you are still a UK citizen regardless of taking US citizenship. Just note it can take a while as you have to send it back to the UK now instead of the nearest embassy so ensure you give it plenty of time.
Old Sep 3rd 2014, 11:41 am
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
They are up to date. Those changes are only for EEA/EU migrants and so won't affect the OP who is a British citizen.

From that quote and link I gave, it reads like the July changes will affect Brits if they have been out of the UK for more than 52 weeks, which is why I embolded that part on the quote. Hence why I said that link you gave seems to be out of date; because they didn't mention the July changes.

Did you read it differently for the changes after January 2014? I'm happy to be corrected.

Last edited by formula; Sep 3rd 2014 at 11:54 am.
Old Sep 3rd 2014, 1:04 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by formula
From that quote and link I gave, it reads like the July changes will affect Brits if they have been out of the UK for more than 52 weeks, which is why I embolded that part on the quote. Hence why I said that link you gave seems to be out of date; because they didn't mention the July changes.

Did you read it differently for the changes after January 2014? I'm happy to be corrected.
That bit still says EU migrants, and not British Citizens, there are many EU migrants who leave for a year or two, and it's those that will be affected, no gettin benefits from day 1. It doesn't apply to British Citizens.
Old Sep 3rd 2014, 1:23 pm
Forum Regular

London1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to all

I like all the posts but I have a question, I became a US citizen in 2007 but I still hold my UK passport which I need to renew this year will I have a problem getting it renewed as we plan to go back to UK next year to live.
Simple answer is NO you won't have any problems to re-new your UK passport. Just fill in any required paperwork and send of your UK passport, this will be done by the UK consulate for your area. It may also have to be sent to
Washington DC. I lived in the US 30 years and had to re-new my UK passport a couple of time's. Like you I'm also US/UK citizen. You will recieve your old UK passport back with a corner cut of along with your new one. Where to send your old passport depends if they have changed the regulations.

Last edited by London1947; Sep 3rd 2014 at 1:29 pm.
Old Sep 3rd 2014, 1:26 pm
Just Joined

Novocastrian.... I will be moving to the coast... Whitley Bay initially... until I find a place of my own. My husband will be following shortly after. My daughters are putting me up until I find my feet.
Wishing you and your family a positive transition to the motherland.
Old Sep 3rd 2014, 8:50 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by frecklesboo
Novocastrian.... I will be moving to the coast... Whitley Bay initially... until I find a place of my own. My husband will be following shortly after. My daughters are putting me up until I find my feet.
Wishing you and your family a positive transition to the motherland.
We may end up being near neighbours. Good luck with your move too. But we're not really returning to the motherland, that's just until the issues with my FIL resolve themselves (if you see what I mean). We own a house in France which will be used 6 months of the year until then and after that, permanently.

Last edited by Novocastrian; Sep 3rd 2014 at 8:54 pm.
Old Sep 3rd 2014, 8:56 pm
Just Joined

Old Sep 18th 2014, 8:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by London1947
Of course there will be many comments on this point, however this has been my experience. After living in the US for 30 years and travelling from the US to the UK twice a year, I to am a duel US/UK citizen. Over those years I had never received a definitive answer as to which passport to use until a few years ago. This information was given to me by UK Border Control at Heathrow. You must use the passport of the country you are entering. If questioned by the border agency i always carry both passports....... As they now scan your passport on entry the border agency knows that you are here legally and not just on vacation.......

my experience has been different. I am dual Cdn/UK but have not had a valid UK passport in since mid 80s. have travelled into Heathrow on Canadian passport probably 100+ times in the last 20 years and have only once been told I should get a UKA passport and that was only becuase I would not need to get my passport stamped each time.
Old Sep 18th 2014, 8:57 pm
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by Wombat7
my experience has been different. I am dual Cdn/UK but have not had a valid UK passport in since mid 80s. have travelled into Heathrow on Canadian passport probably 100+ times in the last 20 years and have only once been told I should get a UKA passport and that was only becuase I would not need to get my passport stamped each time.
I've also entered the Uk on a Cdn passport before (although I don't make a habit of it). The added hassles are the longer queues at the border and having to fill in a landing card (just like that immensely stupid one for entering Canada).
Old Sep 18th 2014, 9:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond repute

Agreed longer line, unless you have access to the priority Lane becuase flying business, which I had. And don't get me going about flying into Canada. I can understand the doo you have anything to declare, how long have you been away... But the what were you doing overseas? Who cares, I live here and am a citizen, you need to let me in....often wondered what the response would be if I said "strangling kittens"
Old Sep 18th 2014, 9:16 pm
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by Wombat7
Agreed longer line, unless you have access to the priority Lane becuase flying business, which I had. And don't get me going about flying into Canada. I can understand the doo you have anything to declare, how long have you been away... But the what were you doing overseas? Who cares, I live here and am a citizen, you need to let me in....often wondered what the response would be if I said "strangling kittens"
An immediate interview with the Daily Fail and book offer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.