Reload this Page >

Dual citizen moving back to UK needs simple step-by-step instructions

Dual citizen moving back to UK needs simple step-by-step instructions

Old Sep 2nd 2014, 12:49 am
Just Joined

frecklesboo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Dual citizen moving back to UK needs simple step-by-step instructions

Hello,

I have read through many forums and I am still very confused. I want to re-enter the UK the proper way and need advice in a simple step-by-step instructive manner.

Here is my situation. I married my husband, a US citizen in 2001, and moved to the USA to live with him. 13 years later I need to move back to the UK to take care of my elderly mother who lives on her own. My husband will still be living in the USA with the hope of joining me in a couple of years. I have current US and UK passports and I am a dual citizen. I am 57 years old.

1. I want to know which organizations I should inform regarding my move back to the UK

2. Should I have one-way airline tickets to the UK or return (even though I don't plan on living in the USA again. Fingers crossed my hubby can join me some time soon)?

3. Which passports should I be using and at which airports? I will fly from Indianapolis to Detroit and from Detroit to Amsterdam and finally from Amsterdam to Newcastle upon Tyne, England.

4. Once I am successfully in the UK will I be eligible for benefits and housing until I find employment?

I will be moving at the end of this year. PLEASE HELP ME! This is very overwhelming but it has to be done. I am so worried about my Mum.
Old Sep 2nd 2014, 1:06 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dual citizen moving back to UK needs simple step-by-step instructions

Welcome to BE.

You are a British citizen therefore you can move back to UK any time you wish.

US citizens must by law leave and enter the US using a US PP. As you wish to become a UK resident (not a visitor) you must use your British PP to enter the UK. Either PP can be used in Europe.

You will probably find that a return trip ticket will be cheaper than a one way. Some members have posted that they have then cancelled the return ticket and the taxes have been refunded. I don't know if this is will happen.

Take a look in the BE Wiki and look through the threads for info re benefits...it has been discussed many times.
Old Sep 2nd 2014, 1:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dual citizen moving back to UK needs simple step-by-step instructions

1. Since husband is not accompanying you presume you are keeping bank accounts, utilities etc, mortgage/rental going for him so can't think of anyone in particular in the US you have to inform.

2. As you hold a British passport a one way ticket is fine - it might be more expensive that a return one though

3. You can use your British one all the way through - the US like you to use your US passport but as you are not coming back who is going to worry?

4. Not eligible until residency is established so don't expect to walk into benefits office and get help immediately. Certainly you won't get council housing - more likely to go on the waiting list.

Once back in the UK you will need to set up bank account, register with doctor etc etc.

Don't forget that as a US citizen you need to file US taxes each year.
Old Sep 2nd 2014, 1:16 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by frecklesboo
Hello,

I have read through many forums and I am still very confused. I want to re-enter the UK the proper way and need advice in a simple step-by-step instructive manner.

Here is my situation. I married my husband, a US citizen in 2001, and moved to the USA to live with him. 13 years later I need to move back to the UK to take care of my elderly mother who lives on her own. My husband will still be living in the USA with the hope of joining me in a couple of years. I have current US and UK passports and I am a dual citizen. I am 57 years old.

1. I want to know which organizations I should inform regarding my move back to the UK
You are legally required to register on the electoral register. Otherwise that's it. Once you move into a property then you'll need to sign up for the usual bills; e.g. council tax, utilities, TV licence

2. Should I have one-way airline tickets to the UK or return (even though I don't plan on living in the USA again. Fingers crossed my hubby can join me some time soon)?
Whichever is cheapest. You're a British citizen with a valid British passport so you can come and go as you please. Your husband will require a visa to join you. If you can find a job that pays more than £18,600 a year then you can sponsor him for a partner visa after working for six months. If you have a job in the US which already pays this amount or more and you have a job offer in the UK that also meets the salary threshold then your husband can apply for the visa before you leave and you can move to the UK together.

3. Which passports should I be using and at which airports? I will fly from Indianapolis to Detroit and from Detroit to Amsterdam and finally from Amsterdam to Newcastle upon Tyne, England.
You are legally obliged to leave the US on your US passport if you are a US citizen. After that use your British passport in Amsterdam (if required) as a EU citizen and then at the border in Newcastle as a British citizen.

4. Once I am successfully in the UK will I be eligible for benefits and housing until I find employment?
You will need to pass a Habitual Residence Test first. This applies to everyone including British citizens. The rules have toughened up recently as a backlash against perceived abuse by EU and other migrants. The Citizens Advice Bureau has more information.

I will be moving at the end of this year. PLEASE HELP ME! This is very overwhelming but it has to be done. I am so worried about my Mum.
Best of luck. You'll find plenty of good advice on this forum if you need it.
Old Sep 2nd 2014, 1:20 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
1. Since husband is not accompanying you presume you are keeping bank accounts, utilities etc, mortgage/rental going for him so can't think of anyone in particular in the US you have to inform.

2. As you hold a British passport a one way ticket is fine - it might be more expensive that a return one though

3. You can use your British one all the way through - the US like you to use your US passport but as you are not coming back who is going to worry?

4. Not eligible until residency is established so don't expect to walk into benefits office and get help immediately. Certainly you won't get council housing - more likely to go on the waiting list.

Once back in the UK you will need to set up bank account, register with doctor etc etc.

Don't forget that as a US citizen you need to file US taxes each year.
It is a legal requirement that all US citizens leave and enter the US using US PPs...whether they intend to return to the US or not.
Old Sep 2nd 2014, 1:24 am
Just Joined

Wow!!! I am so impressed. What a wonderful support group this is. I have clarity already. Thank you everyone.
Old Sep 2nd 2014, 9:12 am
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Y
You will need to pass a Habitual Residence Test first. This applies to everyone including British citizens. The rules have toughened up recently as a backlash against perceived abuse by EU and other migrants. The Citizens Advice Bureau has more information.
Hmmm, they don't seem to updated their page with the April and July benefit changes.

This site is up to date and has all the future benefit changes too
Benefit Changes Timetable - Turn2us

Since January, EEA migrants who arrive in the UK looking for work face a three-month wait before they can claim income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance. These rules limiting migrants’ access to out-of-work benefits will be extended to Child Benefit and Child Tax Credit from 1 July.

EEA migrants who arrive in the UK looking for work or not intending to work will need to live in the UK for three months before they can claim Child Benefit or Child Tax Credit. This will not apply to those who are employed or self-employed.

Evidence and information will need to be provided to HMRC to show they have been resident for at least three months, such as bank statements or tenancy agreements.

After the three month waiting period, EEA jobseekers will only be able to get Child Benefit and Child Tax Credit for 6 months - after 6 months, only those who have a job offer or compelling evidence that they have a genuine chance of finding work will be able to continue claiming, and then only for a short period.

The new rules will apply to people arriving in the UK for the first time, and to those returning after an absence of more than 52 weeks

November 2014
Benefit rules for EU migrants

In January 2014, it was announced that EU migrants would not be able to claim out-of-work benefits until three months after arriving in the UK and would only be eligible for Jobseeker's Allowance for six months unless they have genuine prospects of finding work.

The prime minister is to announce that this time limit - which also applies to Child Tax Credit and Child Benefit - will be halved to three months from November 2014.

Last edited by formula; Sep 2nd 2014 at 9:23 am.
Old Sep 2nd 2014, 11:04 am
Forum Regular

London1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Welcome to BE.

You are a British citizen therefore you can move back to UK any time you wish.

US citizens must by law leave and enter the US using a US PP. As you wish to become a UK resident (not a visitor) you must use your British PP to enter the UK. Either PP can be used in Europe.

You will probably find that a return trip ticket will be cheaper than a one way. Some members have posted that they have then cancelled the return ticket and the taxes have been refunded. I don't know if this is will happen.

Take a look in the BE Wiki and look through the threads for info re benefits...it has been discussed many times.
Of course there will be many comments on this point, however this has been my experience. After living in the US for 30 years and travelling from the US to the UK twice a year, I to am a duel US/UK citizen. Over those years I had never received a definitive answer as to which passport to use until a few years ago. This information was given to me by UK Border Control at Heathrow. You must use the passport of the country you are entering. If questioned by the border agency i always carry both passports....... As they now scan your passport on entry the border agency knows that you are here legally and not just on vacation.......
Old Sep 2nd 2014, 11:47 am
Just Joined

Once again, the wealth of information is so valuable. Thank you for all your contributions. Regrading benefits... there will be no surprises now. I now know that I need to secure a bank account or other proof that I am residing in the UK so that we can countdown the three months before I am eligible for benefits. I do want to find employment but who knows how quickly that will happen.
Passports have always been a problem to me and now I understand the procedure. Thank you.
Old Sep 2nd 2014, 1:00 pm
Misses Los Angeles

MoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond repute

Frecklesboo, will you be living with family in the UK?

If so, make sure they notify the local Council Tax dept that you're there (if they've previously been living alone, this may increase their bill, but not always), and get yourself named on the bill. Also get your name put on utility bills. You'll need to accrue documents like this to give proof of address for opening a bank account, registering with the GP, and proving to the benefits agencies that you're settling in the UK.

Proving your address can be tricky when you don't have a rental contract or own a home, and organizations can be very inflexible as to what they'll consider proof.
Old Sep 2nd 2014, 1:02 pm
Misses Los Angeles

MoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond repute

Also, do you still have a UK driving license? Make sure you update the address on that, too.
Old Sep 2nd 2014, 1:29 pm
Just Joined

Thank you MoshiMoshi. I will move in with my daughters initially but plan on finding my own accommodation once the dust settles. I will pass on your advice to them too so that they can do the necessaries.
I have my UK license tucked away with my old UK documents. The thing is... I have lived int the US for 13 years. How will I go about renewing it?
Old Sep 2nd 2014, 6:03 pm
Forum Regular

cityboys1911 is on a distinguished road

I like all the posts but I have a question, I became a US citizen in 2007 but I still hold my UK passport which I need to renew this year will I have a problem getting it renewed as we plan to go back to UK next year to live.
Old Sep 2nd 2014, 7:28 pm
Forum Regular

London1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to all

Thank you MoshiMoshi. I will move in with my daughters initially but plan on finding my own accommodation once the dust settles. I will pass on your advice to them too so that they can do the necessaries.
I have my UK license tucked away with my old UK documents. The thing is... I have lived int the US for 13 years. How will I go about renewing it?
Depending on what type of licence you have whether it be the old paper one or one that has a photo ID one. I myself had the old paper one valid from 1976 to 2017 and keep in mind that I had lived in the US for 30 years and the address on it was 30 years out of date. So had a photo done to their specs sent of the old licence with new address along with the paperwork and got the new one back within two weeks. Even if you have a photo ID licence you will have to send that to the DVLA in Swansea. The cost for a BRAND new licence is 20 GBP and because I only had 3 years left before I had to re-new at age of 70 I got the money back as well. So that shouldn't be an issue for you..............
Old Sep 2nd 2014, 7:29 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by formula
Hmmm, they don't seem to updated their page with the April and July benefit changes.

They are up to date. Those changes are only for EEA/EU migrants and so won't affect the OP who is a British citizen.

Once again, the wealth of information is so valuable. Thank you for all your contributions. Regrading benefits... there will be no surprises now. I now know that I need to secure a bank account or other proof that I am residing in the UK so that we can countdown the three months before I am eligible for benefits. I do want to find employment but who knows how quickly that will happen.
You'll be eligible for benefits as soon as you pass the HRT. The three month wait doesn't apply to British citizens.

You can renew online or by picking up an application form from the Post Office.

Originally Posted by cityboys1911
I like all the posts but I have a question, I became a US citizen in 2007 but I still hold my UK passport which I need to renew this year will I have a problem getting it renewed as we plan to go back to UK next year to live.
What problem do you anticipate? There was a large backlog for overseas applicants but that it starting to come down now. Even so HMPO will add up to nine months of remaining validity to your new passport so renewing early is always a good idea.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.