Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Dorset, Kent, Swansea and East Sussex

Dorset, Kent, Swansea and East Sussex

Old Sep 2nd 2015, 12:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dorset, Kent, Swansea and East Sussex

Originally Posted by Editha
Personally, I'm in favour of nuclear power, and I don't think it is a stupid decision at all.
I agree with you.

I have a problem with the fact that in order to get the job done the UK has to go to the Chinese and France because the UK sadly it seems isn't capable of delivering the job itself and that is in part because in spite of infrastructure spending being a good way to stimulate the economy the UK seems incapable of doing infrastructure these days - check the Rail link to the North and anticipated timeline and costs let alone the debate time beforehand / London airport runways / the cost of converting the Olympic Stadium

Of course there is also the issue of spent fuels disposals which we are only at the tip of the iceberg with right now - as is France for that matter.

Last edited by Pistolpete2; Sep 2nd 2015 at 1:01 pm. Reason: London airport runways / the cost of converting the Olympic Stadium
Old Sep 2nd 2015, 2:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013
I always thought that Canterbury was a nicer town in that area and did seem more affordable than other areas, but you are right with the commute. It's been a few years since I left, but I'm shocked when I see the property prices today. Maybe it only seems expensive to me, because I'm looking what I would get for my Euros and the exchange rate is pretty bad
I had an interest in Canterbury for several reasons until I upped-sticks last year.

About eighteen years or so ago there was a lot going on work-wise locally as Pfizers enlarged their manufacturing and research facilities at nearby Sandwich. This has died off now and any prospects for development of the airport at Manston died with it.

Not much going on locally now industry-wise apart from agriculture (fruit growing) and tourism but building in the residential developments in St Dunstans and the Tannery area, plus the Land Securities retail development at Whitefriars and Marlow Theatre regeneration helped breathe new life into the place so that there are many more interesting restaurants to aid the upped shopping experience.

I always regard Canterbury as a centre for academia as there are so many quality schools (both private and state, boys and girls) and two unis (actually three incl the art college). This helps to underpin the local economy.

Property prices have jumped due to the service into St Pancras taking less than an hour.

Canterbury had the luxury of having plenty of brownfield to build on. Nearby Chartham was not so lucky. Even the former Canterbury jail is supposedly going to be turned into (student) housing.

An added bonus is the proximity to Whitstable, which is an attractive seaside arty seemingly ex-Londoner community which won the 'award' for least cloned town a couple of years back meaning it has the highest density of independent shops in the surveyed group and least density of standard brand shops that seem to pervade so many high streets. The Tesco superstore is 'conveniently' well outside the town.

Last edited by Pistolpete2; Sep 2nd 2015 at 3:22 pm. Reason: An added bonus is the proximity to Whitstable...
Old Sep 3rd 2015, 4:20 am
Just Joined

conron is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Moses2013
I'm sure Poole has it's good parts and bad parts like anywhere. I wouldn't go by what the Telegraph publish, because at the end of the day we are all different. Before deciding on an area, I would actually look at where you get a job offer and then start investigating what you can get for your money.
Unfortunately, not many job offers when you not in the country, especially for construction, they want you to be there, and we are coming in January, so anyone willing to consider Mike for jobs wont do it until closer to the time and i cannot wait until then to decide on a place to live- so its a little difficult.
but thanks for the advice- and we are looking for jobs in the areas we looking at and the money we can earn too.
Old Sep 3rd 2015, 4:49 am
Just Joined

Poole and St Ives are both very fashionable places for the extremely wealthy to buy seaside houses. But, unless you have the money to buy something like this or this, not worth considering.
lol--maybe one day
Old Sep 3rd 2015, 5:02 am
Just Joined

Ok thanks i will definatly look into those 2 areas!! yes like you said Devon is a little tricky- not much construction work. and looks a little more complicated to commute to the bigger cities- correct me if im wrong.

Yes, I was wrong to say that Poole isn't worth considering. St Ives, though, is somewhere where the locals say they have difficulty finding somewhere to live because of the holiday home market.

I don't know how much construction work there is in the South-West generally. There doesn't seem much in North Devon where I live. There seem to be more sites marked for redevelopment than are actually being built on. But that is just my perception, the reality might be different. I do know a few people in the construction industry locally, and they seem to be fully employed, though they are often travelling for work down to Exeter or Plymouth.

So, I think that for the construction industry in the West Country, Plymouth and Exeter would be worth exploring, or making sure you are within travelling distance of those cities.
Old Sep 3rd 2015, 5:20 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pistolpete2
If inclined towards Somerset, which could allow for a home base in say Yeovil or Taunton area, the Hinkley Point nuclear power station infrastructure contract is coming on stream fairly soon with work for ten years - largest infrastructure construction contract in Europe.
do you know what the time frame for them to start that, or are they still waiting approval?
Old Sep 3rd 2015, 8:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by conron
do you know what the time frame for them to start that, or are they still waiting approval?
Final investment decision is awaited.

I got onto the fact that the construction was getting close now based upon the positioning of a catering venture intended to provide food for the contract workers and the local colleges such as Bridgwater College just yesterday announcing that they becoming centres for skills development.

This thing has dragged on and on already but indications were there that we are close now - next year??

Poking around further, the ANTI Hinkley Point Group hinted just last week that the planned signing of the investment agreement in October between the UK and China will not go ahead now, so who knows. Sorry!

EDF Energy has this open, so go figure:

Jobs at Hinkley Point C | Nuclear New Build | EDF Energy

and there's this:

Hinkley Construction Jobs - Register for Hinkley Construction Jobs
Old Sep 3rd 2015, 8:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Ok thanks i will definatly look into those 2 areas!! yes like you said Devon is a little tricky- not much construction work. and looks a little more complicated to commute to the bigger cities- correct me if im wrong.
Don't write off all of Devon regarding construction, as indicated, there is a lot going on around Exeter these days what with a very progressive local city council that is trying to turn the area into a significant sustainable employment 'hub'. Exeter could work for your other needs as well.
Old Sep 3rd 2015, 7:29 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pistolpete2
Don't write off all of Devon regarding construction, as indicated, there is a lot going on around Exeter these days what with a very progressive local city council that is trying to turn the area into a significant sustainable employment 'hub'. Exeter could work for your other needs as well.

ok will do some looking into it. What about Plymouth as an alternative? there much going on there?
Old Sep 4th 2015, 6:57 am
BE Forum Addict

ok will do some looking into it. What about Plymouth as an alternative? there much going on there?
I 'think' it's pretty much like anywhere else - residential / regeneration property development.

Plymouth is the Royal Navy's principal dockyard and there is some work associated with the trident submarine fleet overhauls but that is more military-associated.

This week, the Chancellor of the Exchequer announced funding the upgrade to the main trident submarine facility at Faslane in Scotland but no mention of Plymouth in that regard. There is no intention of moving trident to Plymouth if there are further rumblings of Scottish independence.

The Ministry of Defence tinkers with various military establishments in the West Country from time to time but it seems a lot of what they desire for the longer term is already in place.

There is rail work associated with the electrification of First Great Western's lines into the West Country and Wales which will take quite a few years from now - the work is ongoing.

Then there is always road work. Right now the biggest job is between Newton Abbot and Torquay, on a bipass.

The West Country is always an area IN NEED because there is such a shortage of quality employment, such that regional representatives are constantly pushing London to apply funding for worthwhile projects be they better road rail air links, infrastructure, major regeneration, local unis (such as Falmouth) ....

Hence the excitement when Hinkley Point came to the fore ????

This obviously provides opportunities in construction as projects actually come on stream and it also provides opportunities for those who are looking to buy property to get into a relatively depressed area ahead of time if they find out that something major is happening which will turn that depressed area 'around', which is exactly what happened with Falmouth.

The image of Plymouth has improved since it went through its major regeneration of former military establishments into residential. Unfortunately, most of that construction work is now complete.

Plymouth did have an airport until a few years ago. Not sure what is happening with that now in terms of development.
Old Sep 4th 2015, 12:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

This from Bloomberg today - it's a hot topic (no pun intended):

Ballooning costs and a further postponement in the start up of an Electricite de France SA nuclear plant in Normandy will increase the pressure on already delayed plans to build two facilities using the same technology at Hinkley Point in the U.K.

The startup of the atomic generator being built at Flamanville on the French side of the English Channel has been pushed back to the end of 2018, 11 years after construction began, and costs have more than tripled to 10.5 billion euros ($11.7 billion), the state-run utility said Thursday. The latest overrun came after the French regulator ordered tests earlier this year on possible weaknesses in the structure of the reactor vessel.

“There is clearly increased risk to the Hinkley Point C project,” RBC Capital Markets analyst Martin Young wrote in a note to clients on Thursday. “No visibility was given on potential cost uplifts, although the possibility of a revised timetable was alluded to.”

EDF is still working toward the final decision on a plan for two of the reactor models, known as EPRs, at Hinkley Point in the English county of Somerset. Another two plants are proposed for a site at Sizewell in Suffolk, underpinning a U.K. government plan to lower carbon dioxide emissions by replacing aging power plants reliant on fossil fuels.