Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Does the class system still exist?

Does the class system still exist?

Old Aug 21st 2003, 4:44 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Taffyles ..... Even 12- 18 years ago my hubby had no problem at board level in the City even with his Geordie accent .....
I firmly believe that the key factor with provincial "accents" is not the accent itself, but the under-lying grammar.

It is, in my experience, quite acceptable to have a noticable accent so long as you are understandable because you use standard grammar. Unfortunately many people who feel that people are prejudiced against their accent don't seem to recognize that they are speaking with corrupted grammar that makes them less easily understood. ..... A case in point: who remembers John Cole, the political reporter for the BBC, who had a strong Irish brogue but impeccable English grammar?
Old Aug 22nd 2003, 9:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimEh? is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Does the class system still exist?

Originally posted by flashman
Thinking of doing some work in the UK and I am wondering if the old class distinction and snobbery still exists and how prevalent is it?
No, you're O.K., my parents have passed away now.

My parents were dreadful snobs and why? Education? No! Wealth? No! Upbringing? No! It was because my Dad had a small business of his own (trucking, for heaven's sake). Mum's background was London (West Hackney/Islington) and from a very ordinary family. Dad's was pure Leicester on his Mum's side (seven generations of Freemen traced) and N.E. Lancashire on his Dad's (five generations traced).

I grew up that way and it took years for me to loose the attitude that people should be looked down on because of the way they talk. I was not allowed to talk with a regional accent myself (a blessing in hindsite) but my little sister rebelled and talked the worst Leicester she could come up with just to piss off my parents.

I must admit, I still cringe at some regional accents in the U.K. though (mainly East and West Midlands).
Old Aug 27th 2003, 1:57 pm
Vee
BE Enthusiast

Vee is an unknown quantity at this point

The thing that confuses me the most about the class system is the names given to different classes and why it upsets so many people.

I was brought up in Toronto so there wasn't very much class-ing going on. My mum would sometimes say things like "you can't go out looking like that.....you look common" or "she looks like mutton dressed up as lamb". My parents weren't snobs (father from Highbury Islington area, mum a Salford lass) but would still come out with gems like that.

When I moved to the UK I didn't see anything wrong with saying something along the same lines as my parents... "that woman sounds so common" when having to listen to people from Naaarf London. However my friends really gave me a right telling off for that. I still think that someone can look/sound common, but my friends seem to think it's better to say "pikey". What's the difference? Is this a class "thing"? Why is it wrong to say "someone is common" when the majority of people in the UK are "commoners".

I'm not trying to be snobby or rude or anything....I'm just confused.

V
Old Aug 27th 2003, 4:49 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Vee
The thing that confuses me the most about the class system is the names given to different classes and why it upsets so many people.

I was brought up in Toronto so there wasn't very much class-ing going on. My mum would sometimes say things like "you can't go out looking like that.....you look common" or "she looks like mutton dressed up as lamb". My parents weren't snobs (father from Highbury Islington area, mum a Salford lass) but would still come out with gems like that.

When I moved to the UK I didn't see anything wrong with saying something along the same lines as my parents... "that woman sounds so common" when having to listen to people from Naaarf London. However my friends really gave me a right telling off for that. I still think that someone can look/sound common, but my friends seem to think it's better to say "pikey". What's the difference? Is this a class "thing"? Why is it wrong to say "someone is common" when the majority of people in the UK are "commoners".

I'm not trying to be snobby or rude or anything....I'm just confused.

V
I associate the term "commoners" with working class although I expect the term, "commoner" originally meant to refer to those who weren't royalty or nobility.

In the UK, there's working class, middle class (lower and upper) and upper class. There's also "nouveau riche" but that's not used much these days.

NC Penguin
Old Aug 28th 2003, 1:07 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

I always thought there were just 2 classes - Yorkshiremen and Yorkie-wannabe's......
Old Aug 28th 2003, 1:32 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by NC Penguin
I associate the term "commoners" with working class although I expect the term, "commoner" originally meant to refer to those who weren't royalty or nobility.

In the UK, there's working class, middle class (lower and upper) and upper class. There's also "nouveau riche" but that's not used much these days.

NC Penguin

Wish I could be nouveau riche. I'm not proud.
Old Aug 28th 2003, 2:16 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Yorkieabroad
I always thought there were just 2 classes - Yorkshiremen and Yorkie-wannabe's......
No there are three, in descending order: Yorkshiremen, Yorkie-wannabe's, .... and Lancastrians!
Old Aug 28th 2003, 2:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by Lion in Winter
Wish I could be nouveau riche. I'm not proud.
I think of Yorkshire as the Texas of England
Old Aug 28th 2003, 2:47 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all
Default Re: Does the class system still exist?

Originally posted by sundarize
Ceri........ Gotchya !!

Remember the two old ladies by the bus stop in Cardiff? Well thats just what you have admitted to !!!

I'm still waiting for the adoption papers to go through ... I want to adopt the lovely old dears

I still say you must have done something to upset them. Two little old grannies don't usually tell strangers at bus stops to F off.

Funniest story I've heard... I could just picture it. Ever seen the two Ronnies when they used to dress up as old ladies for one of their sketches... well that's the picture I had in my head.

Cheers
Old Aug 28th 2003, 2:48 am

Originally posted by TimEh?
I think of Yorkshire as the Texas of England
..... A whole other country?
Old Aug 28th 2003, 3:02 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally posted by Vee
I still think that someone can look/sound common, but my friends seem to think it's better to say "pikey". What's the difference?
V

I wouldn't call someone a Pikey if I were you.... it means Gypsy (caravan park person....trailer trash in other words, it's usually referring to the Irish). It was used as an insult in my hometown... unless it means something different to other people/towns.

Cheers
Old Aug 28th 2003, 3:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by Pulaski
..... A whole other country?
I came up with that comment after experiencing "nowt" but Yorkshiremen over here when I first emigrated. They seemed to be - to a quiet lad like me - very in-your-face and not a little proud of their roots.

Did you serve in the US forces by the way? I've been meening to ask.
Old Aug 28th 2003, 1:52 pm
Vee
BE Enthusiast

Vee is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Ceri
I wouldn't call someone a Pikey if I were you.... it means Gypsy (caravan park person....trailer trash in other words, it's usually referring to the Irish). It was used as an insult in my hometown... unless it means something different to other people/towns.

Cheers
I think it does mean trailer park trash. That's why I can't understand why calling someone "common" is worse than calling someone "pikey".

Anyways, I've learnt not to call people anything...just to think it in my head instead. Much safer. The next time I see a woman letting her kid take a piss on my front gate I'll just politly ask her to step aside. Unfortunately this morning this is exactly what I found. When I asked her "do you mind?" she told me to "fack off ya wanka". I was going to say she was being common as a fisherman's wife but decided against it....she may have got her kid to piss on me.

Was she being common, a pikey or just bloody ignorant do you think?

V
Old Aug 28th 2003, 1:54 pm
Forum Regular

MeganEkno is an unknown quantity at this point

V [/QUOTE]

Trick question - All three??
Old Aug 28th 2003, 1:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by Vee
I think it does mean trailer park trash. That's why I can't understand why calling someone "common" is worse than calling someone "pikey".

Anyways, I've learnt not to call people anything...just to think it in my head instead. Much safer. The next time I see a woman letting her kid take a piss on my front gate I'll just politly ask her to step aside. Unfortunately this morning this is exactly what I found. When I asked her "do you mind?" she told me to "fack off ya wanka". I was going to say she was being common as a fisherman's wife but decided against it....she may have got her kid to piss on me.

V
I would say her behaviour was not quite top draw.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.