Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Does the class system still exist?

Does the class system still exist?

Old Aug 13th 2003, 5:54 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by flashman

But what are "Fish and Chips" wrapped in now?
boxes. BOXES! I ask you...what self respecting chippy would put their fish n' chips in a box!! Well ours had started doing it last time back....apparently some new rules that they're not allowed to use newsprint to wrap food anymore? Bet its the bl**dy EU!
Old Aug 13th 2003, 6:19 pm
Dreaming of the bay

tbiller is an unknown quantity at this point

But what are "Fish and Chips" wrapped in now?
Exactly the same newsprint as before, except they now buy the unused reel-ends from the newspaper's printers - so no ink.
Old Aug 13th 2003, 6:19 pm
Dreaming of the bay

tbiller is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Yorkieabroad
boxes. BOXES! I ask you...what self respecting chippy would put their fish n' chips in a box!! Well ours had started doing it last time back....apparently some new rules that they're not allowed to use newsprint to wrap food anymore? Bet its the bl**dy EU!
As long as it's unused newsprint, it's fine.
Old Aug 13th 2003, 6:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

flashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond repute

I always thought it was the ink from the newsprint that added the unique flavour.
Old Aug 13th 2003, 6:35 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by tbiller
As long as it's unused newsprint, it's fine.

Sounds like the newsprint has to be cleaner than your average Kentuckian!

And if its roll ends, without print.....err, a) flashmans got a point, and b) how are we supposed to catch up on week old 'news' from publications that we'd rather not be seen buying at the newsagents...!

I guess there were similar deliberations when Izal came around and folk no longer spent a 'family sunday night' tearing the papers into little squares, but I got to wonder whether its progress....
Old Aug 13th 2003, 7:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

flashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond repute

I guess there were similar deliberations when Izal came around and folk no longer spent a 'family sunday night' tearing the papers into little squares, but I got to wonder whether its progress....

Time to resurrect this practice. After all, recycling is the fashionable thing isn't it?
Old Aug 14th 2003, 8:18 am
Forum Regular

MeganEkno is an unknown quantity at this point

Time to resurrect this practice. After all, recycling is the fashionable thing isn't it?

Always a thinker Flashman!!
Old Aug 14th 2003, 8:15 pm
Forum Regular

mikel is an unknown quantity at this point

I think it is the lead in the ink.

I never had a problem getting a job, born in Rhodesia (lived in the UK 6 years)with a Rhodesian accent, everyone thought I was Aussie or NZ. There are so many forigners in the UK nobody cares anymore (or at least do not show it). Anyway off to Brisbane to live soon.
Old Aug 15th 2003, 4:05 pm
Oxymath and eremite

Stumpyguy is a jewel in the roughStumpyguy is a jewel in the roughStumpyguy is a jewel in the roughStumpyguy is a jewel in the rough

Regarding the class system, can't we just let this 19th century anachronism go to it's well deserved final reward?

I really grappled with whether or not to post something on this subject, because frankly I was happy to leave all this rubbish behind when I left England all those years ago. I do think that the whole concept of "class" is generally propogated more as an expression of jelousy than anything else. One sees the worst type of reverse snobbery these days in the English media, and those percieved as "toffs", IE: decent education, interest in things other than (or in addition to) football and Big Brother, and a drive to work hard and do well, seem to be pilloried at every opportunity in Blair's England.

Can't we just recognize that we all have different backgrounds (and people always will), and just get on with the more rewarding and fun parts of life? The politics of class are primarily the politics of envy, whereby politicians have cynically manipulated a whole section of English society for almost 200 years to their own ends.

To Flashman: I am sure you will be successful with whatever career path you chose to pursue, anyone with the gumption to make a go of it in a foreign country for an extended period would. Only a very shallow person indeed would judge someone purely on their accent these days (and that goes equally for "toff" or "non-toff").
Old Aug 16th 2003, 2:05 pm
Release the hounds!

AndrewR is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Does the class system still exist?

Thinking of doing some work in the UK and I am wondering if the old class distinction and snobbery still exists and how prevalent is it?

I have to say i find it ironic that in the first twenty seven years of my life living in the UK i never once felt the need to talk about my background, where my family came from or lived etc, and never once felt any sign of snobbery/class distinction. the only time I have got into such conversations has been since I moved (to canada), where invariably you'll meet one or two people who still apparently feel the need to hang onto their old ideas about a country that they no longer live in. I really can't be arsed talking about my parents at length, but whatever their own backgrounds they were both able to get good educations (at different points in their lives) and then go on and use that education to achieve a lot in their lives.The idea that anyone ever gave them a hard time due to their background is laughable. My parents just got on with their lives and made the use of the opportunities that they were presented with in the UK.
As I said before the only time I get into these type of conversations is with people who don't live in the UK. Never once when I was living in the UK....

Last edited by AndrewR; Aug 16th 2003 at 2:43 pm.
Old Aug 16th 2003, 2:20 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

There is no pigeon-holing in the UK that comes anywhere even close to the US's trailer/ non-trailer distinction!
Old Aug 18th 2003, 11:58 am
Banned

fried_emu is an unknown quantity at this point

Here there everybody,

I am a brit who has returned to the UK from Canada.

At first people think I must be insane for leaving Canada, because (some secretly and some loudly) everybody thinks that Canada must be heaven compared to dirty old England. This only lasts until you finally agree with them ever so slightly, then they turn on you and think that you are a snob.

It's really is a no win situation.

My mom and dad have come back to visit me and my Dad says that it has changed too much and for the worse. He also said that he must of became too Canadian"ized", because he would never move back.

Each to their own though --- all the best

Fried
Old Aug 19th 2003, 1:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Pulaski
There is no pigeon-holing in the UK that comes anywhere even close to the US's trailer/ non-trailer distinction!

Agreed with that LOL- I'd rather be called lower or working class that "white" trash, wouldn't you? I've found more snobbery here than I ever encountered in UK- although we joke about it more than Americans. Every country has its class system and snobs can be found in any country, but UK has come a long way since Upstairs Downstairs.
Even 12- 18 years ago my hubby had no problem at board level in the City even with his Geordie accent (and lack of old school tie).

Last edited by Taffyles; Aug 19th 2003 at 1:28 pm.
Old Aug 20th 2003, 9:28 pm
Just Joined

Edwards-family is an unknown quantity at this point

The only problem I can see for you is, depending on whether you have picked up a Canadian accent is that everyone will assume you are American and call you yank, apart from that you should be ok.........lol
Old Aug 21st 2003, 10:20 am
BE Enthusiast

sundarize is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Does the class system still exist?

Originally posted by Ceri

................... I suppose where I was brought up .. an English accent was not 100%welcomed if I was truthful, .

Ceri........ Gotchya !!

Remember the two old ladies by the bus stop in Cardiff? Well thats just what you have admitted to !!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.