Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Does the class system still exist?

Does the class system still exist?

Old Aug 9th 2003, 2:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

flashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Does the class system still exist?

Thinking of doing some work in the UK and I am wondering if the old class distinction and snobbery still exists and how prevalent is it?
Old Aug 9th 2003, 6:10 pm
Dreaming of the bay

tbiller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Does the class system still exist?

Originally posted by flashman
Thinking of doing some work in the UK and I am wondering if the old class distinction and snobbery still exists and how prevalent is it?
What ho Flashers!

It only applies if you are already British*, attended preparatory and public school, have an Oxbridge classics degree and work** as "something in the City".

All non-Brits* are "Johnny Foreigner" to the above (unless members of the Kennedy family and as they are Irish all bets are off) and as such are automatically considered lower-class.

Please note this really has nothing whatsoever to do with money. The most crashing snobs and upper-class twits I've ever met have all been as cash-poor as church mice.

May I ask what kind of work it that you do that makes you think you'll encounter such attitudes anyway? And will you need a work permit?

Cheers - Tim

(*this actually means "English", note well the distinction)
(** or not)
Old Aug 9th 2003, 7:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

flashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by tbiller
What ho Flashers!

May I ask what kind of work it that you do that makes you think you'll encounter such attitudes anyway? And will you need a work permit?

Cheers - Tim

(*this actually means "English", note well the distinction)
(** or not)
The reason that I ask is that I grew up in milltown Lancashire and my experience from the late forties to the late 60's (I left for Canada in 68) was that your pedigree and background or your accent determined your acceptance and ultimate destiny. (A bit like horses and dogs)

I am now a semi-retired free-lance management consultant and am thinking of trying to get work in the UK primarily on "Working Vacation" basis. I don't think I'll need any permit because, although I took out Canadian citizenship, I did not revoke by British status. I am presently confirming this.

My Lancashire accent has been subdued somewhat but it's still detectable so I'm just doing research to see if my idea is viable.

I know that racial discrimination has been discussed elsewhere in these forums so I'm wondering if this equivalent discrimination based on class still exists?

Last edited by flashman; Aug 9th 2003 at 7:30 pm.
Old Aug 9th 2003, 7:58 pm
Dreaming of the bay

I am now a semi-retired free-lance management consultant and am thinking of trying to get work in the UK primarily on "Working Vacation" basis. I don't think I'll need any permit because, although I took out Canadian citizenship, I did not revoke by British status. I am presently confirming this.

My Lancashire accent has been subdued somewhat but it's still detectable so I'm just doing research to see if my idea is viable.

I know that racial discrimination has been discussed elsewhere in these forums so I'm wondering if this equivalent discrimination based on class still exists?
I sincerely doubt you'll have any problems. To be honest, of you've picked up any local dialect during your 30-odd years in Canada you'll get positive feedback just because of that.

And if you are dealing at boardroom level then you'll find plenty of regional accents there anyway these days (if my experience as an IT consultant at main board level is anything to go by)

Of course, your mileage may vary.

Good luck - Tim
Old Aug 10th 2003, 12:24 am
BE Forum Addict

I sincerely doubt you'll have any problems. To be honest, of you've picked up any local dialect during your 30-odd years in Canada you'll get positive feedback just because of that.

And if you are dealing at boardroom level then you'll find plenty of regional accents there anyway these days (if my experience as an IT consultant at main board level is anything to go by)

Of course, your mileage may vary.

Good luck - Tim

Does that mean that anyone thinking of returning who still has a lower class profile will have a harder time?
Old Aug 10th 2003, 1:06 am
Dreaming of the bay

Does that mean that anyone thinking of returning who still has a lower class profile will have a harder time?
No, that's not what it means.

The main question here is whether or not the employment is available in the first place, not the likelihood of any rejection based on the way you sound.
Old Aug 13th 2003, 3:29 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

you are all inverted snobs.

I suppose it differs from country to country within the UK, but the worse ones were people who had no real money, drip themselves in gold, mortgaged up to the eyeballs and looked down at everyone else... voices like a cockle women,... pretending to be something that they were not.... they are the real snobs

class is a funny thing. Who today knows a real "lady" or a real "gentleman"?. A lady to me is a soft spoken gentile women, the same goes for a man.

There's an old saying , and I'm not a racist ... this is just the saying "Give a coolie money he will still be a coolie"

British snobbery.. I find that it differs depending where in the British isles. Where I grew up, you bragged at what you did not have if that makes any sense to you... "rich" people were outcasts

Also the old class system is based on breeding "sweeties" (that's in ab fab accent... patsy) your lineage . "money" is not class,... only to those who thinks it brings class. It's your lineage. not money. You can be common and rich, poor and be top/middle class because of your lineage.

cheers

P.s I can't see why there will be any problem getting a job because of an accent. It wasn't like that when I was working in the UK (11 years ago)., and I'm pretty sure it is not like that today.

It differs from town to town , country to country. I suppose where I was brought up .. an English accent was not 100%welcomed if I was truthful, I have also worked away in England... where a Welsh accent was not welcome.

But on the whole... you will not have a problem regarding your accent. I'm too young to comment on the 60's/70's work environment. which you seem to be referring to. But, When I was living and working back home... no your accent is not going to be a major problem.

Last edited by Ceri; Aug 13th 2003 at 4:07 am.
Old Aug 13th 2003, 12:30 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

Regional accents are now common on TV . There used to be a time when presenters had to have the plum in the mouth "BBC" accent, but not any more. One of the main news anchors for the BBC (Huw Edwards) is welsh. There is another guy who presented a lunch time business programme with a thick brummy accent. The stereo types linked to accents are still there to a certain degree, but the accent itself doesn't restrict what can or can't be done any more.
Old Aug 13th 2003, 2:46 pm
Forum Regular

MeganEkno is an unknown quantity at this point

It exists. You will be placed in the appropriate class dependent on which newspaper you read!! May you chose your daily spread wisely!
Old Aug 13th 2003, 3:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by MeganEkno
It exists. You will be placed in the appropriate class dependent on which newspaper you read!! May you chose your daily spread wisely!

Boy. I'd better stop my subscriptions to "Titbits" and "Reveille"
Old Aug 13th 2003, 3:31 pm
Dreaming of the bay

Boy. I'd better stop my subscriptions to "Titbits" and "Reveille"
Now, that dates you more than anything!

These days it's FHM, or Loaded....
Old Aug 13th 2003, 3:31 pm
Forum Regular

Precisely what I was thinking!
Old Aug 13th 2003, 4:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Now, that dates you more than anything!

These days it's FHM, or Loaded....

What's this? Evidence of cultural decline?
Old Aug 13th 2003, 4:06 pm
Forum Regular

Talking

What's this? Evidence of cultural decline?

It must surely be ; )

Golly gosh what has happened to the old establishment!

Last edited by MeganEkno; Aug 13th 2003 at 4:14 pm.
Old Aug 13th 2003, 4:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by MeganEkno
It must surely be ; )

Golly gosh what has happened to the old establishment!

Come to think of it there's probably no reason for "Reveille" and "Titbits" now that the standard of living has improved to the point where everybody can afford toilet paper.

But what are "Fish and Chips" wrapped in now?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.