Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Do you believe that children have a better life growing up somewhere like Canada?

Do you believe that children have a better life growing up somewhere like Canada?

Old Feb 18th 2017, 3:38 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you believe that children have a better life growing up somewhere like Canada?

Originally Posted by brits1
We "did well" both here and also in Australia, family wise and money wise, because of who we are, not where we came from or lived.

We have never lived in the best "suburb/area" either here or in Aus as I said both my husband and myself are just from normal working class backgrounds.
When you moved back to the UK, did you move back to the same area that you lived before leaving, or to a more upscale posh area?
Old Feb 19th 2017, 6:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you believe that children have a better life growing up somewhere like Canada?

Originally Posted by brits1
The later part of your comment is true to an extent but it does buy their children the best of the best, our youngest taught at St Bede's in Manchester for a stint last year where you have rich and famous offspring attending and also students from the local area and students on various types of scholarships from all walks of backgrounds, our son said there was no distinction as the majority all just on well together. We have worked hard for what we have as did my parents, I find it helps to have the money to not have to worry about paying bills etc all the time (and we have been there in the past, its not great)but for me I don't have to have tons of money to be happy, just enough to get by and enjoy doing the things we like to do and to be able to have helped our sons,my main source of happiness is my family, health is also very important and good friends are a bonus. We "did well" both here and also in Australia, family wise and money wise, because of who we are not where we came from or lived. We have never lived in the best "suburb/area" either here or in Aus as I said both my husband and myself are just from normal working class backgrounds.
Sure, money can buy the best education for your child but it won't change your education later in life. Again Becks case in point.

The best education might not knock off rough edges. Depends also on what an education is : to me it's a cultural paradigm and experience (where to start!) not just exams or attendance somewhere.

The Private vs Comp debate could run. It's a bit of a cliche that private schools = better drugs etc (very churlish) but ultimately you buy an experience: that is all.
Old Feb 19th 2017, 11:50 am
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

its all about the 'money' not just the 'smarts' or the drugs IMO. An example would be a child in a private school could get them into a better job just from 'hobnobbing' association.

Comp vs Private educated. Take two children one from each that have the same number & grades of 'A levels' (both equally as thick as each other), neither one goes to university.

The Comp child may struggle with great difficulty these days to find work, while the Private schooled child will fit in just fine (door opens wide) at some corporation, local government etc. It's not what you know, more the 'who you know'

Therefore 'money' can (in many cases) buy or open doors that are not available to a child from a lower, even middle working class family.

On the University side, suppose the '(money) 'Private schooled' educated child doesn't have what it takes to get into a UK university, then there are ones offshore that will take the money, groom, educate, access to all the drugs they need & will graduate that child with a degree that is 'Accredited' by the UK system.

Case in point are the very well respected finishing schools in Italy or some other place, straight to a European university. All kinds of possibilities

For the A Levels entrant, there are medical schools in the Caribbean (accredited), all it takes is money.

Or, suppose the money child wants to be a 'commercial pilot' - well there are places that money can buy your child just that

Money can buy that qualification which gives the money child the advantage.

Money can buy some 'Happiness' & peace of mind.

Last edited by not2old; Feb 19th 2017 at 12:04 pm.
Old Feb 19th 2017, 12:11 pm
Dichotomus tinker

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack

The Private vs Comp debate could run. It's a bit of a cliche that private schools = better drugs etc (very churlish) but ultimately you buy an experience: that is all.
Happiness of the child is all that matters, love conquers all

Would you want your comp educated working class child to marry into a 'one leg up' on the social ladder into a money family (Kate & William as one example)

Or have your money child that went to private school, marry down a couple of rungs into a 'benefits street social class' - well that does happen, but what would it take for you to stop that from happening?
Old Feb 19th 2017, 5:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by not2old
When you moved back to the UK, did you move back to the same area that you lived before leaving, or to a more upscale posh area?

We moved back to the North West but not to the same area, we think its a nice area, some might say its a very nice area and others might say its just okay it all depends on what your looking for really, what matters is that we have enjoyed our time here, it has suited our needs, we are not sure if we will stay in the North West when our youngest leaves home but that would only be because we would like to try somewhere completely unfamiliar to us.
Old Feb 19th 2017, 6:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by not2old
Happiness of the child is all that matters, love conquers all

Would you want your comp educated working class child to marry into a 'one leg up' on the social ladder into a money family (Kate & William as one example)

Or have your money child that went to private school, marry down a couple of rungs into a 'benefits street social class' - well that does happen, but what would it take for you to stop that from happening?
"Happiness of the child is all that matters, love conquers all". We cannot really try to stop someone from falling in love no matter where they come from. As long as both parties are happy with each other and can deal with what life throws at them then that's all that counts even if we don't agree with their choices. I've known friends who've married into different social backgrounds/cultures and for the most are still happy with their lot in life, like most things in this world, compromise, hard work and love makes a relationship work for the most part...anything else then it was not really love.
Old Feb 27th 2017, 9:40 am
Account Closed

TeamSpirit is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Do you believe that children have a better life growing up somewhere like Canada?

Originally Posted by Bumblebee2
I still just don't feel like I belong and I have no idea why I feel like this.
I was born and grew up in the UK but I never managed to feel "right" there, though I love lots about it. I experienced feeling something click when I came to Spain as a student: I got to feel what "right" felt like. People who just feel natural where they are don't know how bizzare and disorientating feeling "wrong" is and it's very hard to explain in words. I went on to live in other (western) countries and the basics are similar in all, but not MY feeling in me. Returning to Spain after many years, that "click" feeling is still the same. It is totally illogical, as I can't say I feel wild about the culture, I'm not Catholic, etc and there are enough difficulties in Spain. However, inwardly I feel at peace. I found that feeling "wrong" never went away, despite all my efforts in other countries, and that living where I feel "right" for me is the only solution. Perhaps you could try negotiating a win-win with your husband in moving to a part of the UK where he has more opportunity to live his preferred lifestyle and you are nearer your family? Good luck!
Old Mar 7th 2017, 4:19 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Money doesnt buy happiness apparently as so many lottery winners will attest but it is a requirement.
If you are broke then what is a frustration to some can really set you back and be a threat to your meagre lifestyle if you are poor.

Eg. Your car breaks down. To those that can afford to fix that car its frustrating. If you dont have the cash to get that car fix it just escalates. Say its broken down on the side of the road and you cant get it towed so you get a ticket or worse, its impounded. Now you have a broken car that you cant afford to fix and a penalty you dont have cash for. Now, what if you need that car to get to the job you have. Will you end up losing that job or do you need to find public transport?, does the bus timetable mean you now have to find additiona childcare and pay for it..... and so it continues.

So yes, you do need money otherwise its not lack of happiness you are facing, its way deeper than that.
Old Mar 9th 2017, 9:55 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

i think kids are a little more well rounded and self reliant in the UK..maybe a little more traveled and worldly wise and generally more competitive as a rule probably because they have to be to a certain extent.