Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Do peopole who have moved back live their lives differently?

Do peopole who have moved back live their lives differently?

Old Aug 3rd 2010, 3:04 am
Searching for contentment

ukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond repute
Default Do peopole who have moved back live their lives differently?

As I was musing/internally ranting/tormenting myself today, I wondered if I would live my life differently if I went back to the UK now. I figure having left the UK, it does make you appreciate the things you left behind and I guess that makes me feel that you'd make more of an effort with things if you get to go back - seeing friends more often, seeing more of the UK etc. On the other hand, I said I'd travel over the US when we came here yet other than for business, I've not done a huge amount

So, for those of you that have gone back - what do you think? Do you do things differently now, or is it just the same old routine? Thnx
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 5:00 am
Account Closed

Picnic is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Do peopole who have moved back live their lives differently?

If I had the chance to move back I'd take advantage and not take for granted the wonderful countryside, the National Trust, low cost air travel and the proximity to Europe. And then there are low cost adult education classes, local interest associations and societies. I could go on and on....
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 7:41 am
BE Enthusiast

loopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond repute

Having been back for 3 years now I am not sure if I live differently however I do think differently, never will I under value the NHS, in fact I have nearly finished my nursing training.

Educational aspects, well lets just say it wasfab to get back and my kids to be slotted in a taught a full range of subjects instead of 3 because classes were full!

Work wise, really cant say I miss hubby working for Americans, cant be doing with the threat of job loss if theresa family emergancy.

Life is good!
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 9:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Jon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Picnic
If I had the chance to move back I'd take advantage and not take for granted the wonderful countryside, the National Trust, low cost air travel and the proximity to Europe. And then there are low cost adult education classes, local interest associations and societies. I could go on and on....
I thought most of that as well. At first the cold winter weather will seem cosy, you will find a nice pub with a nice log fire and a bottle of wine. Christmas will come and go and snow may fall. You will enjoy the snow for a day or two and then February will come and you will be totally over it, you will wish that the winter was over and the gloom was gone. You will get excited at the first sign of spring, then just when you think winter is over another late snowfall will occur. The council wont grit your road and it will be like an ice rink. It will take you 2 hours to travel 5 miles to work or the shops. The salt on the road (assuming the council hasn't run out) will get in to the wheel arches on the car and it will start to rust (so many rusty cars on the road now following the last cold winter!).

Finally Spring will come and you will venture out to your favourite beauty spot. You will think you have left in plenty of time, until you hit the 5 mile traffic jam as it is Easter and everyone has the same idea, including a massive convoy of caravans. You will get to a travel agent and start to dream of warmer climates and deserted beaches and countryside.

You will decide to go to either France, Greece or Spain and end up stuck in the strikes that seme to happen every week in those places at the moment. Airlines / travel companies will continue to go bust and air prices will continue to rise.

Enjoy

Uk is a fantasic place though.

Last edited by Jon77; Aug 3rd 2010 at 9:35 am.
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 11:55 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

I think most people come back with a different attitude, and possibly different intentions, but do they behave differently, in the ways described?

On the whole, I don't think so.

I don't drink nearly as much, but then I was 25 when I left and 50 when I came back, so nothing to do with being away (though the UK "get pissed and puke in the street" drinking culture is certainly not as strong in the States).
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 2:34 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jon77
I thought most of that as well. At first the cold winter weather will seem cosy, you will find a nice pub with a nice log fire and a bottle of wine. Christmas will come and go and snow may fall. You will enjoy the snow for a day or two and then February will come and you will be totally over it, you will wish that the winter was over and the gloom was gone. You will get excited at the first sign of spring, then just when you think winter is over another late snowfall will occur. The council wont grit your road and it will be like an ice rink. It will take you 2 hours to travel 5 miles to work or the shops. The salt on the road (assuming the council hasn't run out) will get in to the wheel arches on the car and it will start to rust (so many rusty cars on the road now following the last cold winter!).
Of course, if you're returning from the Northern US or Canada, you will find even the coldest British winter to be balmy in comparison ;-)

I know I have changed enormously since I left. I've lost a lot of my cynicism and I rarely complain. I generally see the positives in most things (Sarah Palin aside) and I mostly look on the bright side. I was not that way when I left England, so I wonder if when I return I will start to moan again.
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 3:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

The_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to all

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Of course, if you're returning from the Northern US or Canada, you will find even the coldest British winter to be balmy in comparison ;-)

I know I have changed enormously since I left. I've lost a lot of my cynicism and I rarely complain. I generally see the positives in most things (Sarah Palin aside) and I mostly look on the bright side. I was not that way when I left England, so I wonder if when I return I will start to moan again.
I've become more cycnical and grouchy since I moved here (US). lol Maybe when I move back to the UK i'll start to see the positives and look on the bright side again?
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 3:45 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

I've turned into a right whinger since I got back. I swear a lot more, too (usually when I'm whinging).
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 6:38 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
I've turned into a right whinger since I got back. I swear a lot more, too (usually when I'm whinging).
Well America is full of Right Whingers too
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 8:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Sydney AUS - Leeds/Selby/York UK - Sydney AUS (April 2011)
seayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud of

Ahhh but places like Canada are set up for cold weather, you get a dusting of snow in the UK and the whole transport network grinds to a halt. We had a dusting of snow in the South East a few years ago and the whole bus network was stopped ! If councils just cannot cope with cold weather in this country.
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 9:15 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by seayork2002
Ahhh but places like Canada are set up for cold weather, you get a dusting of snow in the UK and the whole transport network grinds to a halt. We had a dusting of snow in the South East a few years ago and the whole bus network was stopped ! If councils just cannot cope with cold weather in this country.
That's a good point. But I'm in an unusual spot in that I work from home, so when I know it's going to snow, here, I tend to just buy food and wine, light a fire and stay inside for a week! Eventually, the drive thaws out and I can go out again.

If we do move back, we'll be going to Cumbria or Yorkshire, so we'll definitely have to get used to snow and everything stopping!
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 10:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

WARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The_English_Bride
I've become more cycnical and grouchy since I moved here (US). lol Maybe when I move back to the UK i'll start to see the positives and look on the bright side again?
+1
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 10:51 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The_English_Bride
So have I, I thought maybe it was cause I didn't really want to move back here, and we did anyway.
I'm determined not to be such a moaner as I am here, I want to just enjoy life and be happy in the small things. But after a few years of rain, I'm sure I'll probably have a moan or a swear when it pisses down on a day I have plans
Old Aug 4th 2010, 1:20 am
Finally Home!

Just had a lovely chat with a friend in the UK. Told him we were thinking of moving back and instead of the usual "why would you come back to this shithole?" we got "I totally understand. I've traveled all over the world and I couldn't imagine living anywhere but here."

I told him my mum's negativity and he said 'it's the Daily Mail.' That's before I even told him she reads the Daily Mail.

We had a good honest chat about the pluses and minuses, but it's nice to be reminded that some people in England still look on the bright side
Old Aug 4th 2010, 10:57 am
Forum Regular

fific is a name known to allfific is a name known to allfific is a name known to allfific is a name known to allfific is a name known to allfific is a name known to allfific is a name known to allfific is a name known to allfific is a name known to allfific is a name known to allfific is a name known to all

Have only been back for a month and think I am much simpler in my thinking and attitude than I was before I left. Family came at the weekend and there was complaining (from SIL) about some of the arrangements being too last minute and I don't eat this and that. But instead of reacting I just ignored it and let her eat what was there and get over herself. I was a bit taken aback but realise that the moaners are the moaners wherever you put them. My little Mum and MIL were as happy as larry sitting there in the garden sipping wine watching all their family back together that was lovely.

I was always quite relaxed and open minded before I left but found I got caught up in other people's stuff. I wont be doing that anymore - too boring and just not me. Think moving away has brought out my true character and I have enjoyed the simplicity of relationships in Oz. Still hitting the bottle here as much as over there but feel more inclined to join clubs etc here - as I always did - in Oz where I lived the options were very limited and always started too early and ended too early.

I'll let you know in 6 months.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.