Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Departing Australian Superannuation Payment

Departing Australian Superannuation Payment

Old Nov 2nd 2014, 8:35 pm
Just Joined

MissGB is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Departing Australian Superannuation Payment

Thanks for keeping us in the loop. I too look forward to finding out where the money has gone!!
Old Nov 3rd 2014, 11:31 am
BE Enthusiast

killerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud of

We received a termination statement today. The amount was taxed at 38%!! instead of the 15% it says on the ATO website. I haven't got time to look into it any more today, but will check it out over the next few days and provide a further update
Old Nov 3rd 2014, 11:39 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by killerhales
We received a termination statement today. The amount was taxed at 38%!! instead of the 15% it says on the ATO website. I haven't got time to look into it any more today, but will check it out over the next few days and provide a further update
I think the 15% only applies to Australian citizens/permanent residents, have a look towards the bottom of the page in this link, at the table which shows the tax rates for a Departing Australia Superannuation Payment.
https://www.ato.gov.au/Rates/Key-sup..._sum_tax_table

Last edited by spouse of scouse; Nov 3rd 2014 at 11:41 am.
Old Nov 3rd 2014, 12:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

killerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud of

You are more observant than me! So non residents/citizens get taxed more than residents/citizens, what justification for that can there be? (Fortunately when it comes to my super in a few years time, I am a citizen).

So my original mistake back in 2005 was to split my own super (all of this money was earned by me) with my wife who chose not to become a citizen when I did, as she was already a joint Irish/British citizen and one third each of three nationalities seemed a bit complicated!

Interesting that it says MAXIMUM rate of tax, as if other, lower rates might be applied, I shall look into that further.
Old Nov 3rd 2014, 1:24 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

You are more observant than me! So non residents/citizens get taxed more than residents/citizens, what justification for that can there be? (Fortunately when it comes to my super in a few years time, I am a citizen).

So my original mistake back in 2005 was to split my own super (all of this money was earned by me) with my wife who chose not to become a citizen when I did, as she was already a joint Irish/British citizen and one third each of three nationalities seemed a bit complicated!

Interesting that it says MAXIMUM rate of tax, as if other, lower rates might be applied, I shall look into that further.
Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings - it sucks when you're expecting a certain amount and then it's much less
Old Mar 6th 2015, 12:03 pm
Forum Regular

Famous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to behold

As far as I can see they will send a lump sum (minus tax). As I mentioned earlier, my interpretation of the information on the ATO website is that 15% withholding tax is payable.

I'm just about to update how my wife is getting on and then in February next year I'll let the forum know how I get on.
My OH is thinking of taking his super out of Oz in a couple of months time and I remembered this post indicating that you would be going through the process in February, so I was wondering how you got on.

Any tips and advice would be much appreciated.
Old Mar 6th 2015, 2:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi Famous 5, my "preservation age" is actually another year away and I am therefore having to wait another year before accessing the pension funds. I am an Australian citizen so as mentioned earlier in the thread my understanding is that I will subject to the 15% withholding tax and not the 38% my wife was charged as a non-citizen.
Old Mar 6th 2015, 5:31 pm
Forum Regular

Famous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to behold

Hi Famous 5, my "preservation age" is actually another year away and I am therefore having to wait another year before accessing the pension funds. I am an Australian citizen so as mentioned earlier in the thread my understanding is that I will subject to the 15% withholding tax and not the 38% my wife was charged as a non-citizen.
Thanks Killerhales.

My OH will shortly reach the preservation age and we were thinking it might be more sensible to invest the money here. I still have a few years to go until I get to my preservation age.

All the info on the super fund's website has my head spinning so I think the starting point will be for my OH to ring them to get a bit of advice as to how best to proceed. I'll post an update when we decide what to do.