Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Departing Australian Superannuation Payment

Departing Australian Superannuation Payment

Old Sep 19th 2014, 12:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

killerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud of
Default Departing Australian Superannuation Payment

My wife has just applied for this so I thought a brief note about the process may be helpful to others:

I should start by saying that she has reached her "preservation age" which can affect the amount of withholding tax you have to pay (our understanding is that she will have tp pay 15%).

It is best to do this on line on the ATO website as they confirm your immigration status free of charge (saving $55) and send the application to your super provider for you.

The online form asks for a lot of details, such as your SPIN (superannuation product identification number) and Fund SFN, but you can find these on a handy website www.spindirectory.com.au which has a search function that worked easily for us.

You then complete the online ATO form at this address:
https://applicant.tr.super.ato.gov.a...ult.aspx?pid=1

We will keep you all informed how we get on and how long it takes for the funds to be released. What we don't know at the moment is what form the funds are sent in; we are concerned that we will get an A$ cheque which isn't that great as we don't have a functioning A$ bank account any more.

If anyone knows more or if there are any questions then please join the thread.

I'll be applying for mine next year, but the process will be different as I am an Aussie citizen (50/50)

Last edited by killerhales; Sep 19th 2014 at 1:01 pm. Reason: Typo in title
Old Sep 21st 2014, 12:31 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Departing Australian Superannuation Payment

Originally Posted by killerhales
I'll be applying for mine next year, but the process will be different as I am an Aussie citizen (50/50)

Australian citizens and permanent residents cannot legally access a Departing Australia Superannuation Payment.
https://www.ato.gov.au/Forms/Applyin...super-payment/

If you have reached an eligible age - different situation.
Old Sep 21st 2014, 5:36 am
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

Killerhales, long time since you posted on forum.. Nice to see you back even if momentary..
Old Sep 21st 2014, 6:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

killerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud of
Smile Re: Departing Australian Superannuation Payment

Originally Posted by JAJ
Australian citizens and permanent residents cannot legally access a Departing Australia Superannuation Payment.
https://www.ato.gov.au/Forms/Applyin...super-payment/

If you have reached an eligible age - different situation.
Sure, I'll be applying as a regular Aussie citizen having reached my preservation age. I could leave it there but I'm assuming the general direction of interest rates in the UK will be going up and the opposite in Oz, so best to get dollars out ASAP
Old Sep 21st 2014, 6:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fulwood
Killerhales, long time since you posted on forum.. Nice to see you back even if momentary..
Thanks so much, I should keep an eye on the forum more often! One of my former employees is hoping to come to Oz with his Oz girlfriend so I've told him to get onto the Australia forum and get some good advice! I'm thinking of going back for a visit in the New Year as our little business goes into hibernation in Jan/Feb
Old Sep 25th 2014, 11:26 pm
Just Joined

MissGB is an unknown quantity at this point

Sure, I'll be applying as a regular Aussie citizen having reached my preservation age. I could leave it there but I'm assuming the general direction of interest rates in the UK will be going up and the opposite in Oz, so best to get dollars out ASAP
How do you apply as an Aussie citizen when you are living in the UK? Is it as simple as taking the superannuation as a lump sum and just depositing it in a UK bank account? I will be in the same situation in a few years (reaching the preservation age!) so keen to hear how you go with that. I am also 50/50
Old Sep 26th 2014, 11:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MissGB
How do you apply as an Aussie citizen when you are living in the UK? Is it as simple as taking the superannuation as a lump sum and just depositing it in a UK bank account? I will be in the same situation in a few years (reaching the preservation age!) so keen to hear how you go with that. I am also 50/50
My own fund (Mercer) has a form that you need to fill in. it must be accompanied by a certified copy of your passport. The type of people that can certify the copy are listed on the form (but there is a different list for those inside Australia and those outside Australia).

As far as I can see they will send a lump sum (minus tax). As I mentioned earlier, my interpretation of the information on the ATO website is that 15% withholding tax is payable.

I'm just about to update how my wife is getting on and then in February next year I'll let the forum know how I get on.
Old Sep 26th 2014, 11:13 am
BE Enthusiast

OK, here's an update on my wife's application (she is NOT a citizen or permanent resident).

We got an email from Mercer with a number of forms that have to be completed. First one is proof of identity. A copy of my wife's passport has to be certified by an employee of the Australian government (not many of those around here) or a notary public. Our local notary public is charging us 45 quid for that service!

We have to nominate how we want to be paid (can be to an active Australian bank account in my wife's name) or alternatively to a UK account by telegraphic transfer. There is a fee for the telegraphic transfer but it doesn't say how much.

Once we send these things off I will provide an update when we get a reply.

We really wanted to send the funds to someone like Ozforex as you get a miles better rate than the bank, but this does not seem to be possible as the account you send the money to must be in your name.
Old Sep 26th 2014, 11:26 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

OK, here's an update on my wife's application (she is NOT a citizen or permanent resident).

We got an email from Mercer with a number of forms that have to be completed. First one is proof of identity. A copy of my wife's passport has to be certified by an employee of the Australian government (not many of those around here) or a notary public. Our local notary public is charging us 45 quid for that service!

We have to nominate how we want to be paid (can be to an active Australian bank account in my wife's name) or alternatively to a UK account by telegraphic transfer. There is a fee for the telegraphic transfer but it doesn't say how much.

Once we send these things off I will provide an update when we get a reply.

We really wanted to send the funds to someone like Ozforex as you get a miles better rate than the bank, but this does not seem to be possible as the account you send the money to must be in your name.
Does your wife still have an Oz bank account? If so, it's easy to transfer the money from that account to Ozforex electronically, who will in turn deposit it into an UK account you nominate.
Old Sep 26th 2014, 11:29 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Does your wife still have an Oz bank account? If so, it's easy to transfer the money from that account to Ozforex electronically, who will in turn deposit it into an UK account you nominate.
Just what I was thinking, get the money in the Aus account then move it for fre
Aus State Govt employee in the Uk in 3 weeks, wiling to sign forms in exchange for a pint of Herefordshire cider...!
Old Sep 26th 2014, 11:33 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Just what I was thinking, get the money in the Aus account then move it for fre
Aus State Govt employee in the Uk in 3 weeks, wiling to sign forms in exchange for a pint of Herefordshire cider...!
What a great offer! Don't forget to ask for 2 pints though - one for the meerkat
Old Sep 27th 2014, 9:10 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
What a great offer! Don't forget to ask for 2 pints though - one for the meerkat
He'll never say no to a good pint!
Attached Thumbnails Departing Australian Superannuation Payment-10665963_10203450589002797_7360882510785289869_n.jpg   Departing Australian Superannuation Payment-10426100_10203450613283404_3278614287123257664_n.jpg  

Last edited by Pollyana; Sep 27th 2014 at 9:12 am.
Old Sep 27th 2014, 1:46 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by Pollyana
He'll never say no to a good pint!
That is SO cute Polly
Old Nov 2nd 2014, 12:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

OK folks, so the funds arrived in our account on October 21st. They just appeared with no letter or email from our super provide in Australia.

Two issues to report: firstly, we sent the notarised documents to our super provider using a Royal Mail tracked service. We checked the tracking on a regular basis and finally had to phone when there was no sign of the documents having arrived. We were informed that there was an issue with the service which was being discussed by Royal Mail & Australia Post "management".
Obviously they did arrive otherwise the payout wouldn't have been made, but we simply couldn't see this on the on-line tracking

Secondly, the funds received are some 20% less than we expected!! We knew we had to pay 15% withholding tax and we assumed our provider would take a tasty fee, but we allowed for this in our calculation! As we don't have a closing statement yet, we can't see where that 'missing" 20% has gone!

I'll provide a further update when we get a closing statement; obviously we are very curious to see where that 20% has ended up!
Old Nov 2nd 2014, 1:00 pm
Concierge

OK folks, so the funds arrived in our account on October 21st. They just appeared with no letter or email from our super provide in Australia.

Two issues to report: firstly, we sent the notarised documents to our super provider using a Royal Mail tracked service. We checked the tracking on a regular basis and finally had to phone when there was no sign of the documents having arrived. We were informed that there was an issue with the service which was being discussed by Royal Mail & Australia Post "management".
Obviously they did arrive otherwise the payout wouldn't have been made, but we simply couldn't see this on the on-line tracking

Secondly, the funds received are some 20% less than we expected!! We knew we had to pay 15% withholding tax and we assumed our provider would take a tasty fee, but we allowed for this in our calculation! As we don't have a closing statement yet, we can't see where that 'missing" 20% has gone!

I'll provide a further update when we get a closing statement; obviously we are very curious to see where that 20% has ended up!
Thanks for updating, will be very handy info for anyone in your situation.

I'm also curious to see why the amount was so much less! There's a reciprocal taxation agreement between the two countries, wonder if you can claim some sort of offset or rebate through your UK tax?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.