Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Deciding to Move back to UK

Deciding to Move back to UK

Old Jun 26th 2015, 3:15 pm
Account Closed

Swatmozzies is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Deciding to Move back to UK

Brit Citizen just back from a really great 6 week holiday in UK. Came back to my partner ending our 10 year relationship. It has been such a devastating, confusing and frightening 2 weeks and I am still totally in denial that this is really happening but confirmed two days ago with "Are You sure?". No clearer answer than Yes from the person who I thought I would grow old with. I do know internally that I don't want to stay on my own in the States now. I am an artist and Green Card holder. Realize am potentially a US taxpayer for up to 15 years of leaving the States (as shared by a lawyer) as well as possibly UK. I am making the decision to move back to Uk looking towards Brighton as the place I want to live. Used to live in London. Will head over in July to rent a place and return to terminate everything else here close up my Healthcare etc. Really just need encouragement and support I guess as this is really overwhelming. I appreciate the links I have found so far here - Esp info on Habitual Residence etc. Think it is good to step forward to share as much self care needed as I move through this. Thanks
Old Jun 26th 2015, 4:12 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Deciding to Move back to UK

Sorry to hear you've had such an emotional bomb dropped on you.

Best of luck with the move back to the UK, are you by any chance eligible to get US citizenship before you leave? That would at least leave the door open if you did want to return in the future.

Hope it all goes well.

Old Jun 26th 2015, 4:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond repute

You poor thing! These things hurt like s*** don't they? On the upside you sound practical and ready to move on in a positive way. Good luck with your move forward and upward.
Old Jun 28th 2015, 9:56 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Sending my support from Canada although I have no practical advice for you, but I did want to say that I hope you recover from all this sooner rather than later. I know how you feel and it is devastating.
Brighton is a pretty hip and happening place and has a great ambience in the lanes.
I wish you luck in your plans
Old Jun 28th 2015, 10:21 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

What a rotten bombshell. One day at a time then and keep looking forward if you can.

You carry on sharing. It's what we're here for.
Old Jun 30th 2015, 6:45 pm
Just Joined

ChiJan is an unknown quantity at this point

And the bright side, Swatmozzies, is that you'll have to change your "name" when you get home! Lots of luck wishing you smooth resettling.
Old Jul 6th 2015, 2:05 am
Just Joined

caf973 is an unknown quantity at this point

Brighton is a great place for new beginnings! It was my home town in UK before I moved to CA 11 years ago and I still miss it. Such great people there, and for singles it's great place to meet people from all backgrounds... I was single when I lived there, and made so many great friends... We're moving back next October with my family (hubby from Texas, met in California), moving back to Guildford area but my brother and family live in Brighton. There's lots of opportunity there...
Stay strong through the stormy relationship stuff.., look forward to new beginnings and bright horizons... Good luck
Old Jul 6th 2015, 7:48 pm
Account Closed

Swatmozzies is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all,
Thanks for the encouragement I need it. So many complications with US tax laws etc. At least I understand the ropes in UK. It's pretty overwhelming but I know It is about putting one foot in front of the other. Deciding in my heart where I really want to be. To take my time with decisions. I'll keep checking in to the forum as I move through this. Brighton does seem so right for me.
Old Jul 7th 2015, 1:18 am
Forum Regular

ookie123 is a jewel in the roughookie123 is a jewel in the roughookie123 is a jewel in the roughookie123 is a jewel in the rough

Hi Swatmozzies

As you say it is putting one foot in front of the other and taking your time and ensuring where those foot steps should lead so slow but sure is my advice.

I really love Brighton and if I ever moved back to the UK it would be high on my list of places to live, Property both to buy or rent is not cheap there though but I am sure you will do your research on that. Wishing you all the very best as you begin a new chapter of your life
Old Jul 7th 2015, 10:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Not much to add to what has already been said but just wanted to wish you all the best with the move. Please let us know how you get on.