Dealing with debt

Old May 8th 2016, 9:20 pm
Just Joined

Bazza1969 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Dealing with debt

Hi,

I'm a UK citizen living in the Netherlands and am looking at moving back to the UK but have debts here in the Netherlands. My debts are from various sources bank loan, credit card etc. Bearing in mind that I live with a friend in his house and have no assets to enable me to pay these off rapidly what options are available to me?
Old May 9th 2016, 6:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Helen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dealing with debt

Originally Posted by Bazza1969
Hi,

Bearing in mind that I live with a friend in his house and have no assets to enable me to pay these off rapidly what options are available to me?
One option might be to remain in the Netherlands and pay off your debts slowly.
Old May 9th 2016, 8:15 pm
Just Joined

I have considered this but I would ultimately like to return to the UK within the next year or two(preferably within the year) and in this case the 'slow option' is not really the option for me. My current plan was to transfer my debt to the UK by finding employment there and getting a loan(my sister would be guarantor) which would enable me to pay my debts here and move back to the UK fairly rapidly. Although I do see some potential problems with this. I was wondering what other people thought of this and it they had any other ideas?
Old May 9th 2016, 8:32 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Dealing with debt

Check out this website (including the forums) which may be of help:

Http://www.moneysavingexpert.com
Old May 9th 2016, 8:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

I have considered this but I would ultimately like to return to the UK within the next year or two(preferably within the year) and in this case the 'slow option' is not really the option for me. My current plan was to transfer my debt to the UK by finding employment there and getting a loan(my sister would be guarantor) which would enable me to pay my debts here and move back to the UK fairly rapidly. Although I do see some potential problems with this. I was wondering what other people thought of this and it they had any other ideas?
Why don't you ask what you really want to ask?
Old May 9th 2016, 9:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

MartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond repute

Why don't you ask your sister to take out a loan, using the same security she would have to put up as a guarantor, and pay your debts? Simple and straightforward, and you could work out a repayment plan with her.
Old May 10th 2016, 4:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Helen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartynK
Why don't you ask your sister to take out a loan, using the same security she would have to put up as a guarantor, and pay your debts? Simple and straightforward, and you could work out a repayment plan with her.
Unless these debts are the result of circumstances beyond the OP's control, he has no business asking his sister to bail him out. How about just being a man and staying put until he's paid them off?
Old May 10th 2016, 5:16 am
BE Enthusiast

MartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Helen1964
Unless these debts are the result of circumstances beyond the OP's control, he has no business asking his sister to bail him out. How about just being a man and staying put until he's paid them off?
My suggestion was tongue in cheek...
Old May 10th 2016, 6:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MartynK
My suggestion was tongue in cheek...
My abject apologies, MartynK.
As I've said before, my sarcasm sensors have become a tad blunted since leaving the UK.

Really, though, what is this guy on, with his "the 'slow option' is not really the option for me". That's the problem with debt. It can SERIOUSLY DAMAGE YOUR OPTIONS.
Old May 10th 2016, 10:11 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

I'm a UK citizen living in the Netherlands and am looking at moving back to the UK but have debts here in the Netherlands. My debts are from various sources bank loan, credit card etc. Bearing in mind that I live with a friend in his house and have no assets to enable me to pay these off rapidly what options are available to me?
Why can't you just pay them back from the UK? You don't need to stay in the Netherlands to pay them back.
Old May 10th 2016, 10:28 am
Just Joined

Just too clarify it's my sister that wants me to come back to the UK asap. That's why she has offered to help me fiancially! Obviously I am already paying off my debt slowly with the intention to return to the UK at some point. As to the circumstances of how the debt was incurred is irrelevant and quite frankly no bodies business. Why some people feel the need to give sarcastic/judgemental or otherwise unhelpful comments on a forum that is meant for giving help and advice is beyond me! Especially when all the circumstances aren't know!

Last edited by Bazza1969; May 10th 2016 at 11:12 am.
Old May 10th 2016, 12:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Just too clarify it's my sister that wants me to come back to the UK asap. That's why she has offered to help me fiancially! Obviously I am already paying off my debt slowly with the intention to return to the UK at some point. As to the circumstances of how the debt was incurred is irrelevant and quite frankly no bodies business. Why some people feel the need to give sarcastic/judgemental or otherwise unhelpful comments on a forum that is meant for giving help and advice is beyond me! Especially when all the circumstances aren't know!
Well what options do you think are open to you? Stay and pay them off or leave and pay them off. It's not rocket science.

So what some might suspect you really wanted to know is how easy it would be to do a runner, in which case why not just ask.
Old May 14th 2016, 7:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

holly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond repute

If you have debts you are simply unable (as contrasted with unwilling) to pay then you should check out relevant statutes of limitations. If you can't (not won't) pay then it can do no good, but can do harm to ever communicate with creditors because so doing can sometimes restart the statue of limitations clock. A good starting place is here:
http://www.twobirds.com/~/media/pdfs...on-5.pdf?la=en
What are the chances a Netherlands credit card company would sue in a British court? My answer is "I have no idea" but it surely must depend on how large (in the grand scheme of things) the sum of money involved is.

Last edited by holly_1948; May 14th 2016 at 7:31 pm.
Old May 21st 2016, 6:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

plasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond repute

Have you considered bankruptcy?
Old May 22nd 2016, 2:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Red_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond repute

Have you been to your local gemeente? They have people there who can help with your debts, even loaning money from a social fund in some cases (eg. utility bills) I believe, which is, as you'll know, a cheaper way to handle things than to ignore it and let it go to an incassobureau and have them do the chasing (and their fees are unregulated and therefore unjustly expensive).

Failing that, have you been to the Juridische Loket (Citizens Advice)? Free advice, just make an appointment first.