Reload this Page >

Daughter returning from USA - University

Daughter returning from USA - University

Old Aug 5th 2017, 5:39 am
Just Joined

Chalkieuk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Daughter returning from USA - University

Hello everyone

After twelve years my daughter is planning to return to the UK from the USA next summer and I'm helping her with "the grand plan" from this side. I can see already this is going to take some organising and have joined the forum in the hope of advice from you guys as we go along. No doubt we'll have a ton of questions on the way but my first one is about returning to complete degree at university here.

She was born and educated here, moved over at 19 after doing first year at uni here, and has a green card there, I've read about three year residency and can't see if it applies to her or not - would she be able to apply for intake next year ie 18/19 ?

Thanks in advance x
Old Aug 5th 2017, 7:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Daughter returning from USA - University

She can apply but will with certainty be treated as an international student.
Old Aug 5th 2017, 7:28 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
She can apply but will with certainty be treated as an international student.
Anecdotally, it will depend on the course she is/was doing, and just how the uni see her, some on here have got away with only being classed as 'home' students despite being out of the country for many years. There is only one way to find out, and that is to apply.
Old Aug 5th 2017, 7:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Resident in the USA for 12 years and claiming to be a "home student" ? Good luck with that !
Old Aug 6th 2017, 2:43 am
Just Joined

Thank you all, I've found other threads now and it does seem variable and depend on the Uni's view about residency - I guess apply and see how it goes as Mike says
Thanks again
Old Aug 6th 2017, 10:32 am
BE Forum Addict

HKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond repute

If your daughter does not have a National Insurance number, she should get one while she is in the UK as a student. Please see link below for details -

https://www.gov.uk/apply-national-insurance-number

Banking - your daughter may want to open an UK bank account in the US before coming over. HSBC in the US offers this service and the link below will give you an overview of this service -

https://www.us.hsbc.com/1/2/home/per...banking-center

Is your daughter a green card holder or US citizen? Please note that US green card holder will need to apply for an US re-entry permit if she plans to stay outside of the US for more than a year.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...mes-and-return
Old Aug 8th 2017, 9:49 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chalkieuk
Thank you all, I've found other threads now and it does seem variable and depend on the Uni's view about residency - I guess apply and see how it goes as Mike says
Thanks again
She left the UK as an adult and has lived as a permanent resident in the US for 12 years - I would say that the odds of anyone classifying her as a home student are close to nil. I will be paying international fees for my son next year. Unis want those higher fees and have no incentive to give away money.

Having said that, the international fees for the "modern" universities, the former polys, are much lower than for others and depending on the subject she will do and where she will get a perfectly fine degree. It's worth checking out.
Old Aug 9th 2017, 5:32 am
Just Joined

Thanks all, although she has been there for 12 years she has only had a green card for the last 6 of those years - I think she should just apply and see how it goes , 'Bank of Mum' certainly won't be paying international fees ;-) I'd rather back pay some years on her NI contributions.
She has NI number and UK bank accounts so at least they are not to do and there is
No plan to return to the US so all ties will be cut once relocated.

Regards everyone
Old Aug 9th 2017, 7:53 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks all, although she has been there for 12 years she has only had a green card for the last 6 of those years - I think she should just apply and see how it goes , 'Bank of Mum' certainly won't be paying international fees ;-) I'd rather back pay some years on her NI contributions.
She has NI number and UK bank accounts so at least they are not to do and there is

Regards everyone
If for any reason she gets home fee status without having met the "ordinarily resident for three years prior" requirement, then do please come back and tell us on what basis she got that status. Others here will be interested. Like me.
Old Aug 9th 2017, 2:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

holly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond repute

Regards everyone
Best chance might be to apply to (technically) "resume" the degree course she apparently dropped out of 12 or 13 years ago.
Someone in their early 30s might well take a good look at Open University. Working while studying is a good option at that age and she would have peers of a similar age and disposition.
Old Aug 9th 2017, 5:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

HKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond repute

Regards everyone
Have you and your daughter have a 'plan B'? Just in case all the universities your daughter applied for asked for international fees?
Old Aug 9th 2017, 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by HKG3
Have you and your daughter have a 'plan B'? Just in case all the universities your daughter applied for asked for international fees?
In particular, she might not want to "cut all ties" to the US before finding out whether she will need federal loans to attend university. As a resident alien, she is eligible. She will not be eligible for UK student finance if she is not classed for home fees.
Old Aug 10th 2017, 7:03 am
Just Joined

Actually, I think I'll go on a reccie (reconnaissance) to some uni open days that are coming up. My job takes me around the country regularly so I will try and visit a couple that aren't of interest and give the scenario and actually see what they say. if I'm not too old to go ;-)

I did the OU too, boy that was hard work but rewarding Holly but a good option :-) and some degrees offer part time if you are working - that may be easier once here.

To be honest, she followed her heart and now wants to cut all ties and come home, feeling safe with family is a big part of it, but has learnt some valuable life's lessons that she would never have got here , if Uni isn't an option straight away it's always there in the future and an investment I'd take in her rather than student finance.

NI paying previous years - anyone happen to know how many back years you can contribute and how much for a year ?
Old Aug 10th 2017, 7:39 am
BE Forum Addict

NI paying previous years - anyone happen to know how many back years you can contribute and how much for a year ?
Usually, you can pay voluntary NI contribution going back 6 tax years.

https://www.gov.uk/voluntary-nationa...ions/deadlines

The link above will give you information on what you want to know.
Old Aug 10th 2017, 7:51 am
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Some good discussions here

http://britishexpats.com/forum/movin...utions-879252/

When my wife called the DWP a few weeks ago they said she would probably be eligible for class 2 contributions during the years in the USA that she was working, even part time. We are still waiting for the letter on that (they have a 12 week backlog).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.