Reload this Page >

Dad suffered stroke in Egypt and now looking to get him back to UK

Dad suffered stroke in Egypt and now looking to get him back to UK

Old Nov 26th 2017, 9:04 pm
Just Joined

andypgallagher is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Dad suffered stroke in Egypt and now looking to get him back to UK

Hi all,
Last week (Saturday 18th) my father suffered a stoke whilst living in Egypt. Whilst he is now out of immediate danger and discharged from hospital he is still unable to move his left arm or leg. His speech is also slurred and eyesight very bad. The hospital did all the scans and have given him medication. Now I need to get him back to the UK for further treatment and recovery. My problem is that my father has not kept his documentation as he has not lived in the UK for over 10 years and has moved house several times, so he has no record of his NI number and due to his divorce from my mum and family fall out 25 years ago he has no house here or family/friends over than myself. I am unable to house him so my problem is... I need to get him back to the UK but he will have nowhere to go, other than hospital. He did work in the UK for approx 14 years between 1975 and 1989 and then again between 2003 and 2006 so he paid contributions then. Due to his stroke and having no home to go to would he be entitled to council housing? Would the hospital charge him? I'm a little stumped as to where to start and what to do as the initial priority was getting myself to Egypt and assisting him with his care. Any help or suggestions would be hugely appreciated. Many thanks
Old Nov 26th 2017, 9:27 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dad suffered stroke in Egypt and now looking to get him back to UK

Sorry to hear about your father. Was he born in the UK? If so does he have a valid British passport?
Old Nov 26th 2017, 11:17 pm
Just Joined

Hi,
Thanks. Yes he is a British national with a UK passport. Well, unfortunately we do not know where his passport is so am waiting for an emergency travel document to take him back to the UK
Old Nov 26th 2017, 11:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

You must expect to provide accommodation and support for him when you, initially, get him back to the UK.

He won't be given housing or benefits the moment he steps onto UK soil.

You will have to get him assessed and onto an emergency shelter program. He won't be entitled to housing immediately. There are waiting lists.

How old is he? Maybe Age UK (if he is a senior citizen) can help. Also Citizens advice bureau.

As he has been living in Egypt for many years, why can he not obtain further treatment there?
Old Nov 27th 2017, 6:24 am
Just Joined

Hi,
I've contacted AgeUK, am just waiting to return to the UK to get a bit more information. My Dad is 66 and currently needs 24hr care.