British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Customs Form .. Transfer of Residence (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/customs-form-transfer-residence-893913/)

Robbie2010 Mar 15th 2017 8:38 am

Customs Form .. Transfer of Residence

Has anyone used the online form "Apply for a transfer of residence" to import their household goods into the United Kingdom so they get relief from import duties and charges?

http://www.gov.uk/government/publica...r-relief-tor01

If so, is it supposed to be done before you arrive in the UK or after you've arrived?

The questions and instructions seem a little contradictory to me.

quiltman Mar 15th 2017 9:18 am

Re: Customs Form .. Transfer of Residence

It says on the first page to fill it in and post to HMRC before moving any items to UK. It does say it's best to do this before moving goods so it infers you could come to UK , ship your goods, fill in form and then give the clearance number to your shipping agent whilst goods are on the way.

Robbie2010 Mar 15th 2017 9:30 am

The online form itself is a pain ... asks for my new UK residential address, which I don't have yet(still in NZ), but wont let me leave it blank.

durham_lad Mar 17th 2017 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by Robbie2010 (Post 12205063)
The online form itself is a pain ... asks for my new UK residential address, which I don't have yet(still in NZ), but wont let me leave it blank.

That's a real pain. When we moved our goods in January we completed the customs import form last year with an address for a house that we didn't yet own, knowing that if the purchase fell through or was delayed we could ask the shipper to put our stuff into storage.

Could you perhaps use the address of a relative for now and when the shipment actually takes place give the new address to the shipper?

kirstyp Mar 20th 2017 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by Robbie2010 (Post 12205022)
Has anyone used the online form "Apply for a transfer of residence" to import their household goods into the United Kingdom so they get relief from import duties and charges?

http://www.gov.uk/government/publica...r-relief-tor01

If so, is it supposed to be done before you arrive in the UK or after you've arrived?

The questions and instructions seem a little contradictory to me.

hi Robbie,

You need to have the unique reference number you get on approval by the time your shipment arrives in the UK else it could be held up in customs while you wait for it and this could mean additional charges. We are advising to make the application BEFORE you send your shipment to avoid any risks.

Regards to your address in the UK we believe HMRC are aware that this isn't always known. If you don't know it yet you may be able to use a temporary address (i.e. a relative you will be staying with until you move into your new home) or add a note for HMRC in this field explaining it's not yet known and why.

In our International Removals Vendor forum there is a post sharing what we know about the Transfer of Residence process so far which might be of further help. http://britishexpats.com/forum/overs.../#post12208726

good luck!

Robbie2010 Mar 20th 2017 6:39 pm

Plumped for a relatives address even though we wont be staying there.
I don't like lying on official forms but this one gives you no alternative.

durham_lad Mar 20th 2017 10:31 pm

Originally Posted by Robbie2010 (Post 12208930)

It is what it is and the fact that the contact information for yourself is genuine means that HMRC can contact you if they have any questions on your shipment.

kirstyp Mar 21st 2017 8:46 am

Originally Posted by durham_lad (Post 12209070)
It is what it is and the fact that the contact information for yourself is genuine means that HMRC can contact you if they have any questions on your shipment.

:thumbsup: This is the most important bit of advice with this form, make sure your contact details are correct, up to date and that you check any email address you give regularly so they can ask questions if something doesn't look right.

willielad Mar 24th 2017 8:41 pm

Just tried filling that form in, crazy! Do you really need all those forms in the "enclosures" section including invoices for everything! I'm sending mainly clothes and some smaller household items ,of which i don't have any of the invoices for!

Robbie2010 Mar 25th 2017 5:25 am

Originally Posted by willielad (Post 12212337)
Just tried filling that form in, crazy! Do you really need all those forms in the "enclosures" section including invoices for everything! I'm sending mainly clothes and some smaller household items ,of which i don't have any of the invoices for!

Me neither! I have no reciepts for anything I'm sending back.
They're lucky I still have a copy of the purchase agreement for my house ... why they need that is beyond me!

kirstyp Mar 27th 2017 12:59 pm

i've contacted HMRC to ask about this as I imagine this is next to impossible for most people! Will let you know what the official response is when I get one.

kirstyp Mar 28th 2017 8:19 am

Originally Posted by Robbie2010 (Post 12208930)

Robbie, I heard back from HMRC this morning on a few things.... they are planning to issue further guidance by way of a new information paper on the gov.uk paper in the next few weeks which will be really helpful. Regarding addresses they've indicated that this will say you can provide a temporary address with an explanation on why permanent address is not yet established.
They may then ask you to notify them of permanent address at a later stage, this is why that email address and phone number is so important as they may contact you during the decision making stage for clarification or further details/instructions.

Hope that helps!

kirstyp Mar 28th 2017 8:46 am

Originally Posted by willielad (Post 12212337)

Sounds like they are using this supporting evidence alongside your list of items being imported to make the decisions as to what does and what doesn't qualify for ToR relief and what is subject to duty and taxes, so whatever information you CAN provide will be helpful to them, receipts/invoices are helpful when it comes to high value goods like electronics if you still have them but if not list its valuation.

Again, the most important thing you can do is include active contact details. These applications are (we believe) currently assessed by a human and so if they don't have the info they need they can come back to you for clarification.

willielad Mar 29th 2017 7:15 pm

i just read on one of the information forms to write "PERSONAL BELONGINGS' on the customs declaration when mailed do you think this would help at customs?

princezxena Mar 30th 2017 8:46 pm

Hi everyone,

Can you please advice:

1. What should I do if i've not owned the residence i've previously stayed in the country before coming to UK, but was in my father or husband's name?

The form asks if it was a own house, rented or other... can i mark Other and leave a comment that it was owned by my husband or father? OR should i select own and attach purchase agreement of the house which is (obviously) not in my name?

2. Also, the date of goods arrival... should we give a definite date or it is a date that should be provided as a rough idea(plus or minus a week/10 days)?

Thank you very much for your answers in advance!:thumbup:

Regards,
Aparna