Reload this Page >

New Zealander Moving Back to the United Kingdom

New Zealander Moving Back to the United Kingdom

Old Jun 27th 2018, 12:12 pm
Just Joined

finn_charlton is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New Zealander Moving Back to the United Kingdom

Hello people,

I'm not too sure if this is where I post this, but here goes. I am a dual citizen of New Zealand and the United Kingdom - I was born and have grown up in New Zealand. I have been to the UK on three different occasions, one of which I stayed for five months (late 2015/early 2016) and worked very briefly in that time before returning to New Zealand to complete my studies. Next week, I fly back to the UK where I intend to stay and work indefinitely. Does anybody have any advice about what steps I should take with regards to my tax status? I have tried to look online, but it is all very complicated. I will retain my NZ bank account which will accrue interest while I am not here. As far as I can tell, this is something I have to let HMRC know about. Does anybody have any experience with this tricky situation? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Cheers.
Old Jun 27th 2018, 2:57 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Zealander Moving Back to the United Kingdom

First things first, do you have a NINO?
Old Jun 27th 2018, 8:10 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BritInParis
First things first, do you have a NINO?
A National Insurance Number? I do, yeah!
Old Jun 27th 2018, 8:57 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by finn_charlton
A National Insurance Number? I do, yeah!
That makes life easier. How about a UK account?
Old Jun 27th 2018, 10:33 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BritInParis
That makes life easier. How about a UK account?
Yep, I’ve got a bank account. Also looking to open up another when I get back.
Old Jun 28th 2018, 6:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Spacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond repute

You get here and get a job simple as that. You don't need to inform anyone you have NZ bank accounts. You will continue to be tax resident though in NZ until you have been here a certain amount of days. That's easy though you just file anything online with IRD. You will pay tax here in the UK as this will be where your living.
There really is nothing complicated about your situation.
Old Jul 2nd 2018, 12:07 am

Sounds like you have a pretty straightforward situation then. You'll need to find accommodation and employment but this is no different from a British citizen moving to another part of the UK. You will need to declare any interest you earn on your NZ bank accounts to HMRC once you become tax resident in the UK and pay any tax due. Depending on the amount held you may find it simpler to move the money to your UK account(s) using a money transfer service like Transferwise. Your personal allowance for interest earned on savings in the UK is £1000 pa.

Last edited by BritInParis; Jul 2nd 2018 at 12:09 am.