Reload this Page >

Credit score being transferred after moving to Uk

Credit score being transferred after moving to Uk

Old Jan 22nd 2018, 1:17 am
Forum Regular

cca123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Credit score being transferred after moving to Uk

Hi (again)
Just wondered if you could transfer credit score from USA to UK?( we plan to move back in the summer)
If not, how do you go obout getting a car, phones, house with no credit score? Would print outs of my credit score in usa work so that we can get these things? Also,most ask for recent utility bill.... If we've just moved back, suggestions on how to get around these things?
Thanks as always!
Old Jan 22nd 2018, 2:26 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Credit score being transferred after moving to Uk

Credit scores can't be exported in either direction, due to data protection/privacy laws. You can move an Amex relationship internationally, so that would get you a credit card very soon after your move.

Otherwise be prepared to stump up cash deposits for phone, utilities, etc, and a hefty deposit for a car, so that you have equity in the car and the lender isn't exposed if they have to repo the vehicle.

Having a printout of your US credit history won't hurt, but IMO is unlikely to help much, expect perhaps when buying a car or getting a mortgage when the lenders might be willing to do a bit more work to close a deal. For lesser credit items such as a phone or utilities you're going to be up against "the computer says no!"

Last edited by Pulaski; Jan 22nd 2018 at 2:29 am.
Old Jan 22nd 2018, 1:49 pm
Forum Regular

OK, thank you. So for the smaller things like phones etc we might not be able to? Unsure how to get around this one...we need phones haha. Bring employment contract along?
How long does it take to build up a credit report do you know?
Old Jan 22nd 2018, 3:24 pm
Yorkshire meets Vegas

Pretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond repute

There are a couple of places that offer secured credit cards to enable you to both have a credit card and build up a credit score.

This is capital one's example (others may be available as well) https://www.luma.co.uk/about-luma-features/

Best advice I've seen is to get yourself on the electoral role as quickly as possible, to start building up your credit profile.

I've been away for 13 years now, and have no longer any credit history here.

When I came to Canada I paid for a full version of my credit report, which definitely opened doors for cards, so this might be an option too, as this shows not just your score, but also your payment and lending history.
Old Jan 22nd 2018, 3:34 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

There is another way. If you are/become an HSBC Premier client, HSBC in your home country will open another HSBC account for you in the Uk (or anywhere else they operate) for no fee.

In addition, I was pre-approved for a UK Premier MasterCard with a starting credit limit of £5000.

Last edited by Novocastrian; Jan 22nd 2018 at 3:41 pm. Reason: typo
Old Jan 22nd 2018, 4:55 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cca123
OK, thank you. So for the smaller things like phones etc we might not be able to? Unsure how to get around this one...we need phones haha. ....
PAYG for phones, I hear that's mostly the way to go for mobile phone service in the UK anyway these days.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jan 22nd 2018 at 4:58 pm.
Old Jan 22nd 2018, 5:24 pm
Forum Regular

[QUOTE=Novocastrian;12424665]There is another way. If you are/become an HSBC Premier client, HSBC in your home country will open another HSBC account for you in the Uk (or anywhere else they operate) for no fee.

Thank you. I have an HSBC bank in UK but haven't used it in a while. If I opened up an HSBC international card here and use that as my primary checking account, will be credit scores here transfer over? Im not so much interested in credit cards but am worried we won't be able to get a house, car or phone without any credit scores...
Thanks in advance!
Old Jan 22nd 2018, 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by cca123
Thank you. I have an HSBC bank in UK but haven't used it in a while. If I opened up an HSBC international card here and use that as my primary checking account, will be credit scores here transfer over? Im not so much interested in credit cards but am worried we won't be able to get a house, car or phone without any credit scores...
Thanks in advance!
See #2 above, credit scores do not transfer.

Your relationship with HSBC might enable them (HSBC) to access enough information internally to approve you for a mortgage even though you have no credit history in the UK.