Cost of living in UK

Old Sep 25th 2014, 2:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost of living in UK

Arggh! That car insurance thing quoted me £2500 per year !
Old Sep 25th 2014, 2:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gozit
I am not surprised. Just doing it on your own as a new driver is going to be a killer.

Not sure what scenario you're working on here, but most young people take a room in a shared house and use public transport.
Old Sep 25th 2014, 2:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, that would be consistent with what I have seen on just a very brief cursory look for my son. When I get round to it, I was going to have a proper play around with a variety of models to see what the best options are - try it with as small an engine as you possibly can and see if that brings the cost down a bit.
Old Sep 25th 2014, 2:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

lgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rebs
Yes, that would be consistent with what I have seen on just a very brief cursory look for my son. When I get round to it, I was going to have a proper play around with a variety of models to see what the best options are - try it with as small an engine as you possibly can and see if that brings the cost down a bit.
even with a small engine etc its probably not going to take that much off the premium. In the UK teenage drivers get hit with really high premiums which is why most parents simply add them and their car to their own policy.
Old Sep 25th 2014, 2:50 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah I wouldnt necessarily rely too much on those comparison sites as a young new driver, best to get in touch with a broker tobe honest.
Old Sep 25th 2014, 2:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lgabriel73
even with a small engine etc its probably not going to take that much off the premium. In the UK teenage drivers get hit with really high premiums which is why most parents simply add them and their car to their own policy.
Yes, that's true - although not the right thing to do if the kids have their own car and are the main driver.
Old Sep 25th 2014, 2:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lgabriel73
Yeah... For me its a bit different; my parents don't live in UK - I'd be there on my own, holding a full ON license for less than 1 year, with no no claims discount.

It sucks because I could easily save to buy a £2000 car, but the insurance per year is more than the value of the bloody thing!

The details I put in were for a 07 Kia picanto, less than 1 litre engine. Something like 750cc.
Old Sep 25th 2014, 2:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by chris955
Yeah I wouldnt necessarily rely too much on those comparison sites as a young new driver, best to get in touch with a broker tobe honest.
Chris - it would be genuinely useful (to me, at least) if you could get some more details from your friend whose daughter is paying £700 for insurance. I would be interested in knowing the car make/model, how she got decent insurance (broker or direct), which insurance company and confirmation that she is listed as the main driver, not just a named driver on her parent's policy.
Old Sep 25th 2014, 2:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by rebs
Chris - it would be genuinely useful (to me, at least) if you could get some more details from your friend whose daughter is paying £700 for insurance. I would be interested in knowing the car make/model, how she got decent insurance (broker or direct), which insurance company and confirmation that she is listed as the main driver, not just a named driver on her parent's policy.
+1. That would be brilliant.
Old Sep 25th 2014, 3:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute

Being a male under 25 is usually the kicker. I never found any cheap ones for our son. The accident rate is high, and they are bound to go with the averages.

But the insurance companies load the premiums against older drivers - they pay twice the risk premium that young drivers do.
Old Sep 25th 2014, 3:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by bigglesworth
Being a male under 25 is usually the kicker. I never found any cheap ones for our son. The accident rate is high, and they are bound to go with the averages.

But the insurance companies load the premiums against older drivers - they pay twice the risk premium that young drivers do.
Yeah. Seems same in UK as it is here.

Really pisses me off because I am a safe driver and I'm the one that is penalised for idiots' actions.

Isn't gender discrimination illegal?
Old Sep 25th 2014, 3:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by bigglesworth
Agreed on the youth factor.

I thought insurance companies are no longer allowed to use gender as a risk factor, so if the 19 year old woman that Chris knows is paying £700 (which I would consider as cheap for that age), then a young man of that age should also pay the same.
Old Sep 25th 2014, 3:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah. Seems same in UK as it is here.

Really pisses me off because I am a safe driver and I'm the one that is penalised for idiots' actions.

Isn't gender discrimination illegal?
That's how insurance works I'm afraid.
Old Sep 25th 2014, 3:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
That's how insurance works I'm afraid.
Yep.
Old Sep 25th 2014, 3:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute

Gender discrimination is indeed illegal. So is age discrimination. But there are two ways they can address it. Reduce the price for one side or increase it for the other. Guess which they choose?

When the issue was raised the insurance companies also cut annual pension payments to male retirees, even though their life expectancy is shorter.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.