Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Confusion over driving licenses

Confusion over driving licenses

Old May 28th 2016, 7:08 am
Forum Regular

bobbyleo has a reputation beyond reputebobbyleo has a reputation beyond reputebobbyleo has a reputation beyond reputebobbyleo has a reputation beyond reputebobbyleo has a reputation beyond reputebobbyleo has a reputation beyond reputebobbyleo has a reputation beyond reputebobbyleo has a reputation beyond reputebobbyleo has a reputation beyond reputebobbyleo has a reputation beyond reputebobbyleo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Confusion over driving licenses

SO I am now back in the UK after being in the almost 16 years. Its great to be back!

I know that I can drive over here for a year on my US license before applying for my license but it was just a case of updating my UK license so I am now driving my car on the UK license.

However, my US license has a motorcycle endorsement and I do not have UK motorcycle license.
I need to jump through a lot of hoops in the UK to get my motorcycle license but have already started the process. I took the CBT last week, my theory test is booked at the end of the month then I need to book and pass my module 1 and module 2 practical tests.

So my first question, can I ride a motorcycle here with my US license endorsement even though I now hold a UK car license?

Second question concerns my wife. She can drive here on her US license for 12 months but has to apply for her UK lic before the year ends. I am guessing she will need to apply for a UK provisional license and do all the testing. If she applies for her UK provisional license early, will she only be permitted to drive with L plates and a licensed driver sitting beside her or can she use her US license to see her through the 12 months or until she passes all her UK tests (whichever comes first).

Any ideas what the correct way to do things is?

Thanks.
Old May 30th 2016, 9:48 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Confusion over driving licenses

1) I would doubt it given that presumably you no longer hold your US driver's licence having exchanged it for a GB licence.

2) Strictly speaking I would suspect she would be able to drive on her US licence for up to 12 months until she applies for her provisional UK licence after which she would need to drive on that.

Probably best to ring the DVLA with both these questions.
Old May 30th 2016, 2:49 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

My sons and husband had US licenses when we arrived in UK all drove on their US licenses while waiting to take the test for the UK license, they also did some driving lessons to make sure they knew the rules here.
They applied for provisional licenses and were insured to drive on their US license in my car. Does that make sense?
Old May 30th 2016, 4:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
They applied for provisional licenses and were insured to drive on their US license in my car. Does that make sense?
It does make sense, sort of .

A similar thing happened to me when I first moved from the UK to Texas. I needed a DL with photo id asap and took my test within a few days of arriving. When the State Trooper came to the hire car I was driving he said it wasn't insured for a driving test. So I asked if I had been driving legally this last few days and would continue to be driving legally on my UK licence, and he told me that they had checked with Avis and other hire companies, and as crazy as it sounded I could drive him around as much as I wanted but if it was with the aim of passing a driving test then it wasn't insured. (I borrowed my boss's car and came back next day to take the test.)
Old May 30th 2016, 5:45 pm
Forum Regular

bobbyleo has a reputation beyond reputebobbyleo has a reputation beyond reputebobbyleo has a reputation beyond reputebobbyleo has a reputation beyond reputebobbyleo has a reputation beyond reputebobbyleo has a reputation beyond reputebobbyleo has a reputation beyond reputebobbyleo has a reputation beyond reputebobbyleo has a reputation beyond reputebobbyleo has a reputation beyond reputebobbyleo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
1) I would doubt it given that presumably you no longer hold your US driver's licence having exchanged it for a GB licence.

2) Strictly speaking I would suspect she would be able to drive on her US licence for up to 12 months until she applies for her provisional UK licence after which she would need to drive on that.

Probably best to ring the DVLA with both these questions.
Hmmm.You have a point but I did not exchange my motorcycle license for a UK one.

So my wife can drive to work and take her daughter to school on her US license, but as soon as she applies for a provisional, if the latter rules apply then she can't drive without being accompanied even if its within her 12 month period, so thats going to cause issues. How does everyone else deal with this?

I will email DVLC, get an answer and report back.

Thanks.
Old May 30th 2016, 7:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

holly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobbyleo
Hmmm.You have a point but I did not exchange my motorcycle license for a UK one.

So my wife can drive to work and take her daughter to school on her US license, but as soon as she applies for a provisional, if the latter rules apply then she can't drive without being accompanied even if its within her 12 month period, so thats going to cause issues. How does everyone else deal with this?

I will email DVLC, get an answer and report back.

Thanks.
Correct, there is no exchange of licenses (sic) of any US State for a British licence.
But the short answer is no. Once you got the British licence you can no longer use the American licence.
In fact, it's not clear you could even ride the motorbike before before because technically you have always had a British licence while away, it just wasn't valid without a current photo and British address.
Sorry, you have to go through the England, Scotland and Wales (or the Northern Ireland if that's where you are) process for a motorbike licence.
Time was, long ago, that a British car licence included motorbike, but I assume you are not old enough for that. (I am).
Old May 30th 2016, 9:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

LondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond repute

Can't you just wait until she's ready to take her UK test before getting the provisional licence? She doesn't need to have that for the first 12 months while she's got the US licence. If you think about it, imagine you have both moved to the UK for just one year, you'd never need to bother with the UK test.
Old May 31st 2016, 10:47 am
Forum Regular

This is the email I sent to DVLC

1. I have held a UK licence since 1977 but I do not have a category A licence.
I have a valid US driving license with a full unrestricted motorcycle endorsement (same as a category A).
I recently returned to the UK to take up residency, applied for and received my UK license that I am now using to drive a car. I want to know if I can you the US motorcycle endorsement on my US license to ride a motorcycle here in the UK until I pass my relevant tests here (or up to 12 months since I took up residency)?

2. My wife will be driving on her US license (up to 12 months). If she applies for her UK Provisional license after 6 months, will she immediately be subject to Provisional license restrictions (accompanied by a licensed driver) or will she be able to continue to drive on her full US license until the expiry of 12 months or passing the UK driving tests?
Confused. Hope you can clarify this for us.

And this is the reply.

I can confirm that providing your USA is valid and entitles you to drive category A motorcycles that you may drive motorcycles for up to 12 months from when your returned to GB.

You must pass a GB category A driving test before the 12 months is up, otherwise you must stop driving.

I can also confirm that your are able to hold a provisional A category on your GB driving licence and continue to drive under the conditions listed above with your USA licence.

The same advice applies to your wife in that she can drive any category of small vehicle shown on her USA licence for up to 12 months from the time she became resident.

She must pass a GB driving test before the 12 months is up, otherwise she must stop driving.

I trust this information of assistance.

Last edited by bobbyleo; May 31st 2016 at 10:54 am.
Old Jun 3rd 2016, 3:59 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Refreshing to see a govt department responding clearly and concisely, and answering all the questions asked. Kudos.
Old Jun 3rd 2016, 7:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

TrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobbyleo
This is the email I sent to DVLC

1. I have held a UK licence since 1977 but I do not have a category A licence.
I have a valid US driving license with a full unrestricted motorcycle endorsement (same as a category A).
I recently returned to the UK to take up residency, applied for and received my UK license that I am now using to drive a car. I want to know if I can you the US motorcycle endorsement on my US license to ride a motorcycle here in the UK until I pass my relevant tests here (or up to 12 months since I took up residency)?

2. My wife will be driving on her US license (up to 12 months). If she applies for her UK Provisional license after 6 months, will she immediately be subject to Provisional license restrictions (accompanied by a licensed driver) or will she be able to continue to drive on her full US license until the expiry of 12 months or passing the UK driving tests?
Confused. Hope you can clarify this for us.

And this is the reply.

I can confirm that providing your USA is valid and entitles you to drive category A motorcycles that you may drive motorcycles for up to 12 months from when your returned to GB.

You must pass a GB category A driving test before the 12 months is up, otherwise you must stop driving.

I can also confirm that your are able to hold a provisional A category on your GB driving licence and continue to drive under the conditions listed above with your USA licence.

The same advice applies to your wife in that she can drive any category of small vehicle shown on her USA licence for up to 12 months from the time she became resident.

She must pass a GB driving test before the 12 months is up, otherwise she must stop driving.

I trust this information of assistance.
Your next issue will be getting insurance coverage for the Cat A on a US license though a British company.
Old Jun 3rd 2016, 8:11 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by TrishP
Your next issue will be getting insurance coverage for the Cat A on a US license though a British company.

No it wasn't