Confused- areas

Old Sep 26th 2012, 4:24 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Confused- areas

Having moved from Brisbane we arent seeing this at all to be honest, we sold a very ordinary highset house in the suburbs, paid off the mortgage and bought a beautiful old place here with a bigger garden in a lovely village. Of course it all depends where you are looking at obviously but for us the move has worked out wonderfully from a financial point of view.

Originally Posted by Davelynd7
Prices of uk homes seem to have fallen but still expensive for what you get vs. Aus Qld prices. Kind of thinking of Perthshire Scotland, or Shropshire/Staffs areas oh dear decisions decisions... Nice to know others in (or have been in) same dilemmas! Like the idea of a map and blocking out areas you dont want, kind of narrows the focus well... So, off to print a map heehee!!
Old Sep 26th 2012, 4:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beccarose
Thank you all so much for the replies!! I really appreciate them and will be researching all suggested areas closely.

you're exactly right, we definitely have to consider jobs before choosing a place, but even just narrowing down enough to consider places for jobs is tough. I mean yes jobs are very important, but I wouldn't want to end up somewhere with great job prospects but truly awful schools or high crime. Drawing a circle around where my husband ends up working is a good thought.
I'm another vote for focussing on a job search first - to be honest, I think it highly unlikely that you would find a job and be unable to find decent schooling and acceptable crime stats within a commutable distance. These things are not unique - in any area, these are what many people want and indeed find throughout the country. You might have shorter or greater commute times, but they exist all over the place.

Having said that, I'll also put my usual plug in for the area that I live in - Dorset/Hampshire. Near to fabulous coastline and the new forest, decent climate. Good centres of employment around. Probably not commutable into London on a daily basis.
Old Sep 27th 2012, 9:47 am
BE Forum Addict

holly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by feelbritish
I would firstly find that job for your husband and then start from there! It is like what comes first chicken or egg?
Yes.
There is a high likelihood of having to move again wherever the job is, so plan on it.
Somewhere cheaper for a six month stay not too far from the Motorway and rail networks.
Old Sep 27th 2012, 2:17 pm
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure what the precise definition of the Home Counties is, but I'd say any of the counties that are clustered directly around London. From your POV any places that are within reasonable commuting distance of central London are probably out. I say reasonable, because the places some people commute from are extraordinary!

Bev
Old Nov 6th 2012, 7:44 am
Poms in Limbo

Davelynd7 is a splendid one to beholdDavelynd7 is a splendid one to beholdDavelynd7 is a splendid one to beholdDavelynd7 is a splendid one to beholdDavelynd7 is a splendid one to beholdDavelynd7 is a splendid one to beholdDavelynd7 is a splendid one to beholdDavelynd7 is a splendid one to beholdDavelynd7 is a splendid one to beholdDavelynd7 is a splendid one to beholdDavelynd7 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by chris955
Having moved from Brisbane we arent seeing this at all to be honest, we sold a very ordinary highset house in the suburbs, paid off the mortgage and bought a beautiful old place here with a bigger garden in a lovely village. Of course it all depends where you are looking at obviously but for us the move has worked out wonderfully from a financial point of view.
Thanks Chris, thats very reassuring to know that you moved not far from us, back to UK (where abouts did you end up?) do you regret anything about returning? Did you get the 'why have you come back here' from everyone yet?
Old Nov 17th 2012, 9:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trottytrue
I printed a map of the UK and all its counties then I filled in the areas I did not want to live in and also those I know we could not afford to live in, now I am doing research on the rest of them. We are lucky that we can move anywhere as my husband is retired but some areas I liked are not appropriate when you are older and cannot manage the hills or steep streets so I cross those out. I also need a good hospital so I have researched those. Getting down to maybe a dozen counties. If I find a village I like I take a look at the Church magazine and see whats going on and find a local newspaper.
Would love to see that map. My husband is retired too. We want to move somewhere we don't need a car. So far it looks like Canterbury is fitting the bill as far as everything we need. Not sure if has challenging hills or streets though. Would you still have that map handy to look that up for me? Ta!
Old Nov 17th 2012, 9:24 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat055 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, we went through the same exercise nearly 2 years ago. We were originally from Cambridgeshire, but wanted to return to somewhere new. Schools were a key factor, and we used the ofsted report to create a list of suitable venues.

The "Ofsted filter" created some options and as we had a desire to be more toward the South West, we settled in Wiltshire.

We have easy access to Bath, Bristol and Swindon, and we can be over the bridge into Cardiff in just over an hour. We are fortunate in that we have a mainline station in town, so London commuting is a possibility, and the M4 to the north of us.

We are surrounded by beautiful countryside, the Cotswolds are to the North and great coastline is within an easy drive.

As others have said, most areas will have good school options. Understand your work options first,and use that to guide you on location. Also worth remembering the requirements of your children as they grow up, particularly access to public transport etc.

Good Luck
Old Nov 17th 2012, 10:05 pm
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

I do believe Wokingham was voted as the best area to raise a family due to low crime rates, excellent schools, abundance of green space/countryside and easy access to London for possible job opportunities...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...ng-family.html

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...n-8191511.html

http://www.getwokingham.co.uk/news/s...raise_a_family

Last edited by Pom_Chch; Nov 17th 2012 at 10:08 pm.
Old Feb 11th 2013, 2:39 pm

daisycutter is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Re: Confused- areas

Originally Posted by Beccarose
Thank you all so much for the replies!! I really appreciate them and will be researching all suggested areas closely.
Chris955, I really liked what you said about Herefordshire, sounds pretty ideal.
Bevm, what do you call the home counties? I know there's some debate on what exactly the home counties are and I was wondering which ones you were thinking of?
Feelbritish, you're exactly right, we definitely have to consider jobs before choosing a place, but even just narrowing down enough to consider places for jobs is tough. I mean yes jobs are very important, but I wouldn't want to end up somewhere with great job prospects but truly awful schools or high crime. Drawing a circle around where my husband ends up working is a good thought.
Trottytrue, I really like your idea of printing a map and filling in the areas we don't want to consider! Great plan!
Daisycutter- can I ask where you decided on?
Almo, thanks for the idea of a holiday cottage, we may just need to do something like that too. As for the list of questions, we pretty much have those included in our list- it's just a matter of figuring out where best suits us and our needs.
hi sorry long time no look at this forum ... we moved to a village just north of gloucester ... good selective grammars for boys & girls schools in the area for the kids,reasonable rowing and reasonable countryside ... for us this maybe tep so that eldest can get his o levels then see where we want to head off to again .. hope your search worked out .