Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Confused about tax implications

Confused about tax implications

Old Aug 28th 2015, 8:02 am
Just Joined

Littlemisssuntan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Confused about tax implications

Hoping someone here can give me a bit of advice! Moving back to the UK in Sept and want to know about tax implications as the Internet is driving me nuts!
If we move back before the end of the tax year will we have to pay tax on what my husband has earned in Dubai? If so what percentage? Will we have to pay tax on savings accrued?
Thanks in advance!
Old Aug 28th 2015, 12:35 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Confused about tax implications

You need to determine if you qualify for split year treatment.

http://tools.hmrc.gov.uk/rift/screen...ary?user=guest
Old Aug 28th 2015, 1:19 pm
Just Joined

Yes, I will... So what does that mean for tax? Honestly I'm going grey trying to work this out!
Old Aug 28th 2015, 2:06 pm
Old Aug 28th 2015, 2:12 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

How long were you in Dubai? If it was for more than a year, you haven't got anything to worry about.
Old Aug 28th 2015, 2:26 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Editha
Yes, 3 years but will be returning half way through the tax year. What I don't understand and getting different info from the Internet is whether we have to pay tax on his earnings or just what's in the bank account.
Old Aug 28th 2015, 3:03 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

You won't pay tax on any of it -- if it was earned before you came back and resumed residency.
Old Aug 28th 2015, 6:16 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Editha. It seemed a bit more complicated than that! That's great.
Old Sep 2nd 2015, 7:28 am
Happy To Help!

TopNik is a jewel in the roughTopNik is a jewel in the roughTopNik is a jewel in the roughTopNik is a jewel in the rough

Hello Littlemisssuntan,

For your information, split year rules include residence conditions for the tax year after the tax year of your return to the UK also.

If these conditions are not met during the following tax year you will not be entitled to split year treatment and your earnings prior to your return to the UK will be liable for UK income tax.
Old Sep 2nd 2015, 7:41 am
Was in Canada, now home.

Originally Posted by TopNik
Hello Littlemisssuntan,

For your information, split year rules include residence conditions for the tax year after the tax year of your return to the UK also.

If these conditions are not met during the following tax year you will not be entitled to split year treatment and your earnings prior to your return to the UK will be liable for UK income tax.
Would you explain what the conditions that you are referring to are? Surely, the only condition is that she remains resident in the UK?
Old Sep 2nd 2015, 9:32 am
Just Joined

Thanks TopNik, I managed to get some legal advice and it was as complicated as I first thought.. Depends on how long you have lived abroad, any ties you may have had to UK whilst abroad, how long you intend to be back etc etc...
Old Sep 2nd 2015, 11:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Editha
Would you explain what the conditions that you are referring to are? Surely, the only condition is that she remains resident in the UK?
You have to have your ONLY home in the UK.

If you start to have A home in the UK (in other words you have one somewhere else as well which is available to use), you must be tax resident in the following year as well, and it must not be a split year (treatment one).

Important for those who turn out to NOT like their return and want to bail out.

The conditions are actually more complex than that but that's basically it.

Last edited by Pistolpete2; Sep 2nd 2015 at 11:05 am.
Old Sep 2nd 2015, 12:41 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Littlemisssuntan
Thanks TopNik, I managed to get some legal advice and it was as complicated as I first thought.. Depends on how long you have lived abroad, any ties you may have had to UK whilst abroad, how long you intend to be back etc etc...
Legal advisors aren't going to make a living if they make things sound simple.
Old Sep 2nd 2015, 12:48 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by robin1234
True but as I paid nothing for the advice and it was a lot more indepth than just a straight forward yes/no I'm glad I got clarification!
Old Sep 2nd 2015, 11:21 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
On that point Karl Marx was right.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.