Classic Cars

Old May 10th 2015, 4:21 pm
Just Joined

Mickjj is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Classic Cars

Returning to the UK soon and shipping things over at the end of May. I am taking two cars with me a 1959 Sunbeam Alpine and a 1969 TR6. Does anyone know what I have to do to get them on the road in the UK? I know they are both exempt from road tax and the Alpine from MOT so do I just need insurance ? I presume I have to register them both somehow.
Old May 10th 2015, 4:32 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Classic Cars

Returning from where? Did you buy your cars in the UK or in the country in which you currently reside? Were the cars ever previously registered in the UK?

Generally speaking if a car hasn't been registered in the UK before you'll need to apply for an Individual Vehicle Approval for each car. Depending on your circumstances they may also be VAT, duty and/or tax to pay on each car.

More information here: https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-approval/ and https://www.gov.uk/importing-vehicles-into-the-uk/
Old May 10th 2015, 5:46 pm
Just Joined

I'm coming from Canada where I bought the cars
Old May 10th 2015, 6:02 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mickjj
I'm coming from Canada where I bought the cars
Okay, so unless those cars were ever registered in the UK then you'll need to carry out a IVA for both of them and pay any tax, duty and VAT that is due. Those links I posted give you all the information.
Old May 13th 2015, 11:37 am
BE Forum Addict

ottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond repute

If you have owned them for more than 12 months there is nothing to pay.
If less than that you should qualify for the Historic Vehicle exemption.
They should be IVA exempt as well.
The Canadian title should be in your name, I do not know about Canada but in the USA the title should be submitted to Customs stamped "export approved".
You will need a NOVA certificate from HM Customs. Your shipping agent will handle the NOVA and filing the entry.
Send the paperwork along with proof of insurance to the DVLA and you will receive an age related registration.
Do check the details of the registration carefully we get a good number of errors we sent one back three times last month.

Last edited by ottotheboar; May 13th 2015 at 11:44 am.
Old May 14th 2015, 1:59 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ottotheboar
If you have owned them for more than 12 months there is nothing to pay.
If less than that you should qualify for the Historic Vehicle exemption.
They should be IVA exempt as well.
The Canadian title should be in your name, I do not know about Canada but in the USA the title should be submitted to Customs stamped "export approved".
You will need a NOVA certificate from HM Customs. Your shipping agent will handle the NOVA and filing the entry.
Send the paperwork along with proof of insurance to the DVLA and you will receive an age related registration.
Do check the details of the registration carefully we get a good number of errors we sent one back three times last month.
Thanks for the information. Do you know if they will require an MOT with them being historical cars?
Old May 15th 2015, 8:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

ottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond repute

The 1969 will need an MOT
Old May 23rd 2015, 11:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mickjj
Returning to the UK soon and shipping things over at the end of May. I am taking two cars with me a 1959 Sunbeam Alpine and a 1969 TR6. Does anyone know what I have to do to get them on the road in the UK? I know they are both exempt from road tax and the Alpine from MOT so do I just need insurance ? I presume I have to register them both somehow.
Hi there. I had a 1963 (I think) MK1 Sunbeam Alpine with a factory aluminium hard top 801 BNM was the plate, back in the late 80s. Moonstone Blue, red vynil trim. Lovely car with wires and those 3 star spinners. On Pistonheads recently there was a Mk1 with a 2.8 V6 ford unit I think it was..only 10k GBP and a fraction of the price of a Tiger eh? It looked really well done. Had I been in the UK I think it would have been on my drive!!!