Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

CITY WITH CULTURE,NIGHT LIFE AND SPORTING EVENTS IN UK?

CITY WITH CULTURE,NIGHT LIFE AND SPORTING EVENTS IN UK?

Old Nov 20th 2008, 8:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: CITY WITH CULTURE,NIGHT LIFE AND SPORTING EVENTS IN UK?

When I first went to the UK to learn English many many years ago I had this illusion of men walking to work past Big Ben wearing bowler hats and carrying an umbrella etc First vision of London quickly changed all that I finally did get to see a couple of men wearing bowler hats though

Funnily enough if it were up to me AND I was single, I wouldn't live in England at all. I'd live in Colombia like I did before. I had THE best time of my life there, and really enjoyed living amongst the locals in Bogota.

But it's not exactly a sensible or lucrative option for a married couple, and there wasn't much of a Korean community there from what I remember.
Old Nov 20th 2008, 9:00 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tr1boy

Funnily enough if it were up to me AND I was single, I wouldn't live in England at all. I'd live in Colombia like I did before. I had THE best time of my life there, and really enjoyed living amongst the locals in Bogota.

But it's not exactly a sensible or lucrative option for a married couple, and there wasn't much of a Korean community there from what I remember.
I knew it!!... you're a Columbian drug baron on the run!
Old Nov 20th 2008, 9:08 am
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
I cannot even remember how long ago it was i last saw a guy in a bowler hat! I think i might have been in my teens.... long time ago that was
It did take me a long time to find a gent that was wearing one
Old Nov 20th 2008, 9:13 am
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

I also like Bogota and Colombia despite the kidnappings, muggings, terrorism etc And if you are a single man (or even married man) wow you have got access to some of the most stunning looking women in the world in Colombia Its enough to send your heart into overdrive

By the way being a "gringo" how were you treated by the Colombians?
Old Nov 20th 2008, 9:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

I knew it!!... you're a Columbian drug baron on the run!
Well I've been known to sleep with my shoes on

I also like Bogota and Colombia despite the kidnappings, muggings, terrorism etc And if you are a single man (or even married man) wow you have got access to some of the most stunning looking women in the world in Colombia Its enough to send your heart into overdrive

By the way being a "gringo" how were you treated by the Colombians?
Yeah the bombings were a bit bad when I was there as it was between round 1 and 2 of the 02 elections and the incoming president was talking of all out war against the FARC as they had killed his Dad. They brought the violence back to the cities after being holed up in the DMZ that Pastrana had granted them (big mistake IMO).

I was nearly the victim of a car bombing on my bloody birthday (April 9th which is the anniversary of the assassination of Gatan). I was walking down the street on Septima going towards the Justice Palace and the ground shook and all this debris came flying out of a side street, missed me by about 10mtrs. Car bomb, everybody ran, but I ran more than most, I was down near Calle 27/28 and I ran all the way home on 96 (Zona Rosa)

I found I was treated well. I did have a 'special friend' who I lived with after being there a while, but I didn't go there looking for anything like that. That just happened through a mutual friend in Sydney. So I was kind of 'protected' as it were. But I had no issues at all, apart from being ultra aware of pickpockets, street crime etc.

I learnt to dance there, properly, kind of, Nancy was very patient. People really enjoy life there, and sometimes there isn't a lot to be happy about.
Old Nov 20th 2008, 9:47 am
Weirdo Latin Dude

Well I've been known to sleep with my shoes on

Yeah the bombings were a bit bad when I was there as it was between round 1 and 2 of the 02 elections and the incoming president was talking of all out war against the FARC as they had killed his Dad. They brought the violence back to the cities after being holed up in the DMZ that Pastrana had granted them (big mistake IMO).

I was nearly the victim of a car bombing on my bloody birthday (April 9th which is the anniversary of the assassination of Gatan). I was walking down the street on Septima going towards the Justice Palace and the ground shook and all this debris came flying out of a side street, missed me by about 10mtrs. Car bomb, everybody ran, but I ran more than most, I was down near Calle 27/28 and I ran all the way home on 96 (Zona Rosa)

I found I was treated well. I did have a 'special friend' who I lived with after being there a while, but I didn't go there looking for anything like that. That just happened through a mutual friend in Sydney. So I was kind of 'protected' as it were. But I had no issues at all, apart from being ultra aware of pickpockets, street crime etc.

I learnt to dance there, properly, kind of, Nancy was very patient. People really enjoy life there, and sometimes there isn't a lot to be happy about.
My knowledge of Colombia is largely as a visitor but after having lived and worked in both Peru and Ecuador for 2 years I met a lot of Colombians especially in Ecuador that had left Colombia for the above stated reasons. Your near unlucky incident kinda reminds me of the Harrison Ford film "Clear and Present Danger" which is Bogota and Colombia based.
Old Nov 20th 2008, 2:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

lobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to all

you all mention bath and say night life not great...but bristol is right by and lots going on there
Old Nov 20th 2008, 7:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Your near unlucky incident kinda reminds me of the Harrison Ford film "Clear and Present Danger" which is Bogota and Colombia based.
I'm not sure where that was filmed, but that was definitely not Bogota airport. There is no lower level road or tunnel there at all. The street scape didn't look right for there either.

Good film though. Better than the truly awful Collateral Damage.

I thought Our Lady of the Assasins was good.
Old Nov 20th 2008, 9:04 pm
Banned

Location: Orlando,Florida,living in Buckinghamshire for next 6 weeks.
YankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
I didnt even try hard with your figures and I came up with this one. Situated in one of the poshest areas in greenbelt Buckinghamshire. The countryside around there is stunning.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetai...a_n=5&tr_t=buy

If you can find this standard of property in one of the most expensive areas in the UK, you can find something anywhere. Note it also says guide price. In this financial climate, you will probably get it at a reduced price.
Thanks Flea for that post.I like rightmove must say the offerings are pretty good in my price range.Other than London my choice for a property will be a detach dewelling.I just have to learn "THE" neighborhoods that are most desired in order to enhance my resale value options.Never know might want to sale later on so I can move to a different area of the UK.
Old Nov 20th 2008, 9:34 pm
Banned

YankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jules Europe
As Fleafyflofum has said you will find stuff in your budget in these areas but going out of these areas will give you so much more for your money. Its kind of like soembody wanting to buy in North America and going to expensive areas like San Francisco, New York, Miami and Vancouver they either have the option of paying premium prices to be in one of the cities, or if they were to go further out they would get a lot more for their money but still be within reach of these cities. In case of Buckinghamshire you could pay to buy there, but by going to say Bedfordshire or Northamptonshire which are not too far away, you would get a lot more for your money and still be in a very good area as your budget would allow you to pick and choose within these areas. The Uk is unique in the fact that in about the space of about 15 mins you can travel between areas that have very differing property prices therefore its good to do your research
Jules you are a good person to ask a question.Very good quality imo.Must say Bedfordshire has very nice properties.How is the crime levels there?Is there much of a night life nearby?
Old Nov 20th 2008, 10:03 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

well what about my suggestion post #27...don't think you responded
Old Nov 20th 2008, 11:21 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Originally Posted by YankeemovingAbroad
Jules you are a good person to ask a question.Very good quality imo.Must say Bedfordshire has very nice properties.How is the crime levels there?Is there much of a night life nearby?
My knowledge of Bedfordshire is not that great but I remember Bedford itself is a nice place If memory serves me right there are a lot of Italians there as well. As for Luton well its not a very nice place therefore you may have a problem with crime there. I think though, the attraction of the area is that you are still within commuting distance to London but don`t have the high property prices of London or counties like Bucks and Herts. Also Birmingham is not too far away either. As for nightlife..........well as I haven`t lived there couldn`t say but I imagine there would be something.

Last edited by Jules Europe; Nov 20th 2008 at 11:26 pm.
Old Nov 20th 2008, 11:38 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

I'm not sure where that was filmed, but that was definitely not Bogota airport. There is no lower level road or tunnel there at all. The street scape didn't look right for there either.

Good film though. Better than the truly awful Collateral Damage.

I thought Our Lady of the Assasins was good.
You remember that the airport in the film had a lower level road or tunnel!!! You must have an amazing memory Or did you just watch the film again? Anyway just checked on its filming location and all the non USA scenes were shot in Mexico and Quito Ecuador and as Quito is similiar in many ways to Bogota the countryside and scenary would be similiar. So therefore it could be Quito airport but not sure on that.

yer Collateral Damage is bad and have never seen Our Lady of the Assassins but just had a look at its review and it looks pretty good so will make a note of that one.
Old Nov 21st 2008, 1:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Jules Europe
You remember that the airport in the film had a lower level road or tunnel!!! You must have an amazing memory Or did you just watch the film again? Anyway just checked on its filming location and all the non USA scenes were shot in Mexico and Quito Ecuador and as Quito is similiar in many ways to Bogota the countryside and scenary would be similiar. So therefore it could be Quito airport but not sure on that.

yer Collateral Damage is bad and have never seen Our Lady of the Assassins but just had a look at its review and it looks pretty good so will make a note of that one.

I'd seen the film a couple of times before I went to Colombia. Funnily enough the next time I saw it was just after i left and was on my way to Oz via an extended trip in the US (met my folks in SF and toured around). So everything was pretty fresh in my mind and I remember thinking, 'that's nothing like the airport' especially when he was waiting to be picked up.

Ask me one about Hot Fuzz 'cos that was shot in my hometown.
Old Nov 21st 2008, 2:10 am
Banned

Originally Posted by TruBrit
well what about my suggestion post #27...don't think you responded
I went back and read your suggestion.Liverpool is a nice option and I did mention in a earlier post it would be easy getting use to traveling by ferry right over to Ireland from the pool.I know there is a robust university population there wonder how active is the night life scene for we older(30's-50's) folk? Have you spent much time there?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.