Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

CITY WITH CULTURE,NIGHT LIFE AND SPORTING EVENTS IN UK?

CITY WITH CULTURE,NIGHT LIFE AND SPORTING EVENTS IN UK?

Old Nov 20th 2008, 12:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: CITY WITH CULTURE,NIGHT LIFE AND SPORTING EVENTS IN UK?

Originally Posted by Cape Blue
One tip for living in Scotland is to not confuse British with English, something which I find regularly annoys Scottish and Welsh people.
Why do you think it only annoys Scottish and Welsh? Why would an English person want to be lumped in the Scottish, Welsh if they don't want any part of England? this pi$$es me off no end, that only the Scots and Welsh think they have the right to be identified as independent.
Old Nov 20th 2008, 12:54 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

English, Welsh and Scottish are all British. The Scots and the Welsh tend to dislike it when British and English are used interchangeably (wrongly) as it negates them. I have heard CNN call Tony Blair the English PM before. Would be a bit like mixing the US with North America and forgetting the Canadians.
Not speaking for them, but maybe that's what they don't like. Being British will always come across as being English to alot of people.
Old Nov 20th 2008, 1:11 am
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tr1boy
Why do you think it only annoys Scottish and Welsh? Why would an English person want to be lumped in the Scottish, Welsh if they don't want any part of England? this pi$$es me off no end, that only the Scots and Welsh think they have the right to be identified as independent.
I'm not sure I understand what this means.

Most Scots and Welsh I know are happy to be part of Britain, they just find others using "England" when they should be using "Britain" annoying. If American's used "France" when they were talking about "Europe" I'm sure the English (amongst others) would find it tedious.
Old Nov 20th 2008, 1:22 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

it is like an englishman constantly being referred to as welsh for example. i think all the sections of the uk have the right to their own identity but we are all british. they do not exist as seperate countries.
Old Nov 20th 2008, 1:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure I understand what this means.

Most Scots and Welsh I know are happy to be part of Britain, they just find others using "England" when they should be using "Britain" annoying. If American's used "France" when they were talking about "Europe" I'm sure the English (amongst others) would find it tedious.
What I mean is that the attitude from a lot of Scots and Welsh is, we're not British, we're Scottish, Welsh etc. Well, quelle surprise!, we're English and just as proud.

We're either all British, or we're all independent. I do not see why my identity should be associated with people that hate my country so much, when it seems there are many more Scots and Welsh living in England than vice versa.
Old Nov 20th 2008, 1:54 am
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

What I mean is that the attitude from a lot of Scots and Welsh is, we're not British, we're Scottish, Welsh etc. Well, quelle surprise!, we're English and just as proud.

We're either all British, or we're all independent. I do not see why my identity should be associated with people that hate my country so much, when it seems there are many more Scots and Welsh living in England than vice versa.
I don't know many (in fact I don't personally know any, but am aware they exist) Scottish or Welsh that hate England, its a nice hot button topic for the media to stoke once in a while.

I suspect that eventually the Scottish (and possibly the Welsh) will be convinced by basic nationalistic arguments to push for full independence. Being under the comfortable umbrella of the EU will help any doubters feel a little more comfortable about it.

Personally I think it will be to the detriment to all the three countries giving each a lower punch on the EU and global stage, but base nationalistic rhetoric is easy to spoon feed to the proles, and chips on the shoulders of all three countries are easy to leverage.
Old Nov 20th 2008, 1:55 am
Account Closed

I don't think that a small minority of anti- english celts should be considered relevant. and we are all british but retain our identity imho. percentage of the populations aside, there are just as many english in scotland and wales. it is after all, just one country

Last edited by kporte; Nov 20th 2008 at 1:58 am.
Old Nov 20th 2008, 2:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Agree, and the last thing I want is to sound like some BNP nutjob (I'm just your common or garden nutjob ). Just seems sometimes that the Scots and Welsh are allowed to shout their pride from the highest rooftops, but when it comes to being English we have to be 'British'.

Meh, I've confused myself now. Time for a Digestive
Old Nov 20th 2008, 2:29 am
Account Closed

Agree, and the last thing I want is to sound like some BNP nutjob (I'm just your common or garden nutjob ). Just seems sometimes that the Scots and Welsh are allowed to shout their pride from the highest rooftops, but when it comes to being English we have to be 'British'.

Meh, I've confused myself now. Time for a Digestive
mostly it is people who put some misguided patriotism before common sense.
lot of scots think we will be a wealthy wee nation with independence, basing their logic on a few oil fields and the whisky industry, and assume that we contribute more financially pro rata. the reality is they get more per head spent on them by the government than the english. it should be the english that have the chip the fact is , ultimately we would all lose by the union breaking up imho
Old Nov 20th 2008, 2:43 am
BE Forum Addict

ultimately we would all lose by the union breaking up imho
Agreed
Old Nov 20th 2008, 8:14 am
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by YankeemovingAbroad
Jules believe that my budget of 650k-700k will not buy in a great neighborhood a very nice 3bd 2 bth house in the cities on your above list.Would most of you agree with that opinion?

Thanks
As Fleafyflofum has said you will find stuff in your budget in these areas but going out of these areas will give you so much more for your money. Its kind of like soembody wanting to buy in North America and going to expensive areas like San Francisco, New York, Miami and Vancouver they either have the option of paying premium prices to be in one of the cities, or if they were to go further out they would get a lot more for their money but still be within reach of these cities. In case of Buckinghamshire you could pay to buy there, but by going to say Bedfordshire or Northamptonshire which are not too far away, you would get a lot more for your money and still be in a very good area as your budget would allow you to pick and choose within these areas. The Uk is unique in the fact that in about the space of about 15 mins you can travel between areas that have very differing property prices therefore its good to do your research
Old Nov 20th 2008, 8:28 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jules Europe
As Fleafyflofum has said you will find stuff in your budget in these areas but going out of these areas will give you so much more for your money. Its kind of like soembody wanting to buy in North America and going to expensive areas like San Francisco, New York, Miami and Vancouver they either have the option of paying premium prices to be in one of the cities, or if they were to go further out they would get a lot more for their money but still be within reach of these cities. In case of Buckinghamshire you could pay to buy there, but by going to say Bedfordshire or Northamptonshire which are not too far away, you would get a lot more for your money and still be in a very good area as your budget would allow you to pick and choose within these areas. The Uk is unique in the fact that in about the space of about 15 mins you can travel between areas that have very differing property prices therefore its good to do your research
Very true.

With that amount of money the worlds your oyster really.
Old Nov 20th 2008, 8:29 am
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by YankeemovingAbroad
I wonder how it would work for an American living in Scotland.This is a bit of a process of elimination.Finding what places that would work well and what might work but with conditions.Not to mention the places that would make me wonder why I had not move there years ago because it is so terrific.I know you can't really generalize but...what is the Scottish mentality toward foreigners?

I know some Scotish still are angry at the British but does that anger include ,most foreigners including the Americans as well and what about the chocolate flavored Yank variety.Usually in countries were there are few if any Black Americans the inhabitants of that country tend to be excited to speak and greet them.Don't want to assume to much because that theory could easily be turned on its head and the reality can be the opposite.Do the Scots have a anti American attitude?

Excuse me for asking this question.Is there a skin head culture in Scotland?
As I said before and everybody is saying you are over analyzing this racial aspect far too much and as I said before it is just so un-important, believe me nobody cares. Just go to the UK look around different areas, preferibly urban areas with ethnic diversity and that is most of the country, so that won`t be difficult. As for the areas, well I myself and others have suggested a lot for you to look at.

As for skin head culture I would have have said that would more likely to be found in England rather than Scotland. Skinheads and race hate tend to be in areas where the local population is in conflict with an ethnic minority and its normally issues such as job shortages, crime etc that are the root of these problems. To be fair the skin head culture in the UK is no different than say many other European countries, also you would probably never ever get to see a skin head anyway.
Old Nov 20th 2008, 8:50 am
Weirdo Latin Dude

Originally Posted by kporte
I don't think that a small minority of anti- english celts should be considered relevant. and we are all british but retain our identity imho. percentage of the populations aside, there are just as many english in scotland and wales. it is after all, just one country
I think its easy for Scots, Welsh and Irish to achieve their own national identity as they are largely Celts whereas the English have a lot more influences such as Anglo-Saxon, Viking (Nordic) and Norman. On top of all this the bulk of immigration that arrived in the UK from the 50`s onwards (Blacks and Asians) largely settled more in England. Also the constant immigration into the UK from other Asian and African countries since along with the current wave from Eastern Europe has now made a unique English identity more difficult to ascertain. Much like what is a unique Australian, Canadian or American identity? America was built up with immigrants from Ireland, Italy, African slaves etc and now they have the Latin American invasion and can Latins breed Point being that in 100 years what will the English identity be? As the majority of people there may well be tracing their ancestory to overseas locations.

When I first went to the UK to learn English many many years ago I had this illusion of men walking to work past Big Ben wearing bowler hats and carrying an umbrella etc First vision of London quickly changed all that I finally did get to see a couple of men wearing bowler hats though
Old Nov 20th 2008, 8:58 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jules Europe
I think its easy for Scots, Welsh and Irish to achieve their own national identity as they are largely Celts whereas the English have a lot more influences such as Anglo-Saxon, Viking (Nordic) and Norman. On top of all this the bulk of immigration that arrived in the UK from the 50`s onwards (Blacks and Asians) largely settled more in England. Also the constant immigration into the UK from other Asian and African countries since along with the current wave from Eastern Europe has now made a unique English identity more difficult to ascertain. Much like what is a unique Australian, Canadian or American identity? America was built up with immigrants from Ireland, Italy, African slaves etc and now they have the Latin American invasion and can Latins breed Point being that in 100 years what will the English identity be? As the majority of people there may well be tracing their ancestory to overseas locations.

When I first went to the UK to learn English many many years ago I had this illusion of men walking to work past Big Ben wearing bowler hats and carrying an umbrella etc First vision of London quickly changed all that I finally did get to see a couple of men wearing bowler hats though
I cannot even remember how long ago it was i last saw a guy in a bowler hat! I think i might have been in my teens.... long time ago that was

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.