Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Child Benefit and tax credits

Child Benefit and tax credits

Old Jan 4th 2018, 11:24 am
Forum Regular

Emmarrr is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Child Benefit and tax credits

My US husband, daughter and I moved back to the UK last year.

I'm finding the literature on benefits confusing. Has anyone in my situation applied for Child Benefit/ Allowance or childcare tax credits? I don't want to claim if it will cause problems with FLR.
Old Jan 5th 2018, 2:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Child Benefit and tax credits

Ask for advice in the Citizens Advice Bureau.
Old Jan 5th 2018, 4:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

The British citizen cam claim child benefit etc and has to declare spouse as under immigration control.
Old Mar 5th 2018, 7:24 pm
Forum Regular

Emmarrr is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
The British citizen cam claim child benefit etc and has to declare spouse as under immigration control.
Can I ask how you found this out? I don't want to risk anything but could really use help for childcare costs. I found this guide for assessment but nothing aimed at the applicant. https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/518624/Public_funds_v13.0.pdf
Old Mar 6th 2018, 6:31 pm
Forum Regular

Invisible has a reputation beyond reputeInvisible has a reputation beyond reputeInvisible has a reputation beyond reputeInvisible has a reputation beyond reputeInvisible has a reputation beyond reputeInvisible has a reputation beyond reputeInvisible has a reputation beyond reputeInvisible has a reputation beyond reputeInvisible has a reputation beyond reputeInvisible has a reputation beyond reputeInvisible has a reputation beyond repute

A person subject to immigration control is not considered as accessing public funds if it is their partner who is receiving the funds they are entitled to.

Child and working tax credits are claimed jointly by couples. If only one member of a couple is subject to immigration control, then for tax credit purposes, neither are treated as being subject to immigration control.
Old Mar 6th 2018, 10:21 pm
Forum Regular

Benson55 is an unknown quantity at this point

Why not Google it....
Old Mar 8th 2018, 10:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Start here

https://www.gov.uk/child-benefit

Child Tax Credit and Working Tax Credit are furyher topics. Google is your friend (Sometimes)
Old Mar 9th 2018, 12:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

MonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond repute

SanDiegoGirl and Invisible's advice is solid.

I've claimed Child Benefit, as British Spouse, no problem and relatively quick and easy.

I'm also in the process of claiming Child Tax Credits, which has been in process since January and still awaiting to hear any result. This asks for information about your foreign spouse too, and they will need to sign too, but the claim will only be paid to you. Ensure you only use your bank account details, etc., in which to receive the money.

Be prepared that you will need to send original documentation, such as your child's birth certificate, and passports for you all. They are very slow and can be stubborn when talking with the call centre. We had to make a complaint to escalate it in order to get any help to return the original documents, which, until that point, they were refusing to check.

Make sure you use RMSD postage, they will return by the same method.