Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Chester /North Wales area for your Home...

Chester /North Wales area for your Home...

Old Jul 20th 2015, 3:52 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Chester /North Wales area for your Home...

Originally Posted by Pica
Hi Mummy,
I taught (primary) in Connah's Quay (which is as about as close to the border with England that you can get) for a number of years and I assure you that all English medium state primary schools in Wales are legally bound to teach Welsh from nursery through to year 6. Learning Welsh in high schools is compulsory up to the age of 16 although there are options for non-exam classes.
Wrexham- I have lived there and in outlying villages for most of my life.
40 years ago Wrexham was a thriving market town. Today the town centre is lifeless (apart from the pubs) and full of cheap Asian clothes shops and £ stores. There are many unemployed, many immigrants, drug and alcohol use is rife. The busiest place is the job centre opposite Gerrards the bakers by the bus station where incidentally my 88 year old mother collapsed 3 weeks ago and whereas a number of people came to her aid when she got home she discovered that someone had unkindly taken her purse from her bag with 2 weeks pension money inside
There are some lovely genteel outlying villages but Wrexham itself-and this is only my opinion- is a dump.
Sorry to sound so negative but this is my truth.
I'm pleased that you're enjoying life in Wales, may it continue

I agree with your summary about Wrexham.