Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Care Worker Jobs - Good idea or not?

Care Worker Jobs - Good idea or not?

Old Aug 23rd 2015, 8:09 pm
Forum Regular

mellowred is a splendid one to beholdmellowred is a splendid one to beholdmellowred is a splendid one to beholdmellowred is a splendid one to beholdmellowred is a splendid one to beholdmellowred is a splendid one to beholdmellowred is a splendid one to beholdmellowred is a splendid one to beholdmellowred is a splendid one to beholdmellowred is a splendid one to beholdmellowred is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Care Worker Jobs - Good idea or not?

Hi Pica. Nope, no qualifications at all. The difficulty is that the agencies that I have looked at need to interview you in person. Which, due to the nature of the work, makes perfect sense but does not help my situation.

None of the agencies require up front fees, nor do they appear to charge for training. Which makes them look legit .

I haven't started to look at rent/utilities or any costs yet. That will be the next step depending on the area where there appear to be job prospects (if any).

If by some miracle there are reasonably paying live-in jobs, would it be possible to find boarding house type accommodation between jobs? A couple of quick sessions of Google found B&Bs only, and at £60 per night .....
Old Aug 23rd 2015, 8:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond repute

If you work through an agency they will be taking a percentage from your "wages".
Training could just mean in-house induction really, nothing to do with recognised qualifications.
Tread warily.
B&B @ £60.00 per night- no way.
I don't know where you're thinking of moving to in UK but a live in post might work well for you until you work out the lay of the land.
Old Aug 23rd 2015, 10:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

You could also try looking at "The Lady" magazine for posts as perhaps live in secretary, administrator, companion where especially in remote areas you may find something live in. Most people will not understand the situation in S A for people now and I cannot see it getting any better. There are a few people on the forum who have actually moved back with hardly any money and have sfarted again. It is hard but you are ahead of the game already being British. You mention we a few times, do you have a partner or family which is why you have not moved back on your own already?
Old Aug 23rd 2015, 10:45 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

I've had a look at the Christie's care site. Interesting.

I know from looking after my own mother, that a live-in carer costs £700 a week (in the South-East).

Christie's suggest on the site that after training by themselves you will earn £485 p.w. on a 'self-employed' basis.

What isn't clear is how Christies make their money. Is it by charging you for the training? Or, is it by taking a cut of what you earn? Presumably, since they quote £600 to £900 p.w for care costs on the customer side of the website.

I think you are right that the extra money is for the longer hours -- essentially you are on duty 24 hours a day.
Old Aug 24th 2015, 3:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by feelbritish
You could also try looking at "The Lady" magazine for posts as perhaps live in secretary, administrator, companion where especially in remote areas you may find something live in. Most people will not understand the situation in S A for people now and I cannot see it getting any better. There are a few people on the forum who have actually moved back with hardly any money and have sfarted again. It is hard but you are ahead of the game already being British. You mention we a few times, do you have a partner or family which is why you have not moved back on your own already?
I was just coming back to mention The Lady . And people who moved back with limited funds/no family back-up; have a look for posts by "Whofan" - she had loads of excellent information.
Old Aug 24th 2015, 5:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

£485 a week ? Unlikely. Minimum wage and a zero-hours contract would be more realistic. Training is necessary and also police checks on all your domiciles. Can you provide documentation from South Africa (electronic) to show that you have no convictions ?

http://www.indeed.co.uk/viewjob?cmp=...pub=pub-indeed

Last edited by scot47; Aug 24th 2015 at 6:51 am.
Old Aug 24th 2015, 8:05 am
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

I think the Christie's website is for real. Since the quote of £485 is for a live-in carer doing a 7 day a week, 24 hours a day job --- the actual hourly rate is £2.89, and it is a self-employed rate which means the worker has to find their national insurance stamp, has no pension, sick pay etc.
Old Aug 24th 2015, 8:14 am
Forum Regular

mellowred is a splendid one to beholdmellowred is a splendid one to beholdmellowred is a splendid one to beholdmellowred is a splendid one to beholdmellowred is a splendid one to beholdmellowred is a splendid one to beholdmellowred is a splendid one to beholdmellowred is a splendid one to beholdmellowred is a splendid one to beholdmellowred is a splendid one to beholdmellowred is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for all the replies and information, I am feeling a bit more enthusiastic now.

FeelBritish and Shirtback ... "The Lady" is very interesting indeed. Hordes of very good positions advertised. Having been out of the job seeker market for several years, applying for some of those jobs would be too daunting right now. A lot of them brought images of Downton Abbey to mind . But will certainly spend time looking through all positions and seeing if there is something I have the confidence to apply for.

Thanks Shirtback will take a read through Whofan's posts.

Pica ... according to Christie's Care you go through a training process before being sent out to a client. Then there is on the job training and support. Yep, the live-in work is to gain some knowledge of the areas and get a feel for UK life before looking for accommodation. The £60 B&B was the cheap end of the scale ... bit out of reach for minimum wage me thinks .

Editha ... I was wondering what Christie's charge their clients, so thanks a million for that info. They claim that you earn between £420 and £580pw, and they charge clients between £600 and £900pw so the difference is their cut. Does this sound viable for an administrative/training agency? The 24hr on duty is not a problem for me. The experience of managing a business while looking after my terminally ill Mum gives me the confidence that I have the coping skills.

Scot47 ... No criminal activity on my records. Apart from a few speeding fines I am crime free. But being totally honest, I do have 5 year old bank debt. If a credit check is done, that could count against me(?).

FeelBritish ... the "we" is my partner. He is 64, an English speaking Afrikaner. We have discussed the idea, and although it will take some adjustments, we are both in agreement that we just need to do what needs to be done. If I decide to make the move permanent we will work on that when we get to it. Due to circumstances (caused by finance - or lack thereof ), he lives at the workshop, and I rent a flat so we are not living together right now anyway. My main worry is the two cats. Spoilt rotten and very demanding - will I find a reliable sitter?

Thanks again everyone, your information and opinions are obviously vital and I am reading everything and absorbing it all ... good and bad.
Old Aug 24th 2015, 8:18 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Editha you are a minefield of financial info.

Am I right that tax is 20%(?). To be safe, I would factor that in on total income and ignore the £10,500 platform for now.

Could you tell me what the NI rate is?

PS: As this would be a working trip, the 24/7 is fine by me.

Last edited by mellowred; Aug 24th 2015 at 8:19 am. Reason: Added PS
Old Aug 24th 2015, 8:46 am
Was in Canada, now home.

National Insurance contributions rates for the self employed are on this government website page:
https://www.gov.uk/self-employed-nat...nsurance-rates

Tax will be 20% on income over £10,600.

But you will be able to deduct some expenses for tax purposes. Ask the agency which expenses would be deductible. They should know.

I think you need to ask Christie's some searching questions, such as whether they charge you for training, and what happens on weeks you are not working, what support you get if you find you have a problem etc.

I know of several people with dementia being looked after this way. IMO they would be better off in a home, and it is not an option I am likely to choose for my own mother.

I'm not sure why it is chosen as an option, but one reason may be to avoid selling the family home to pay for care-home fees.

Last edited by Editha; Aug 24th 2015 at 9:09 am. Reason: typo
Old Aug 24th 2015, 9:20 am
Was in Canada, now home.

Something which is not clear to me from the Christie website, is who pays for the food the carer eats while living in.

My mother believes that her friends, who have live-in care, have to pay for the food for their carer on top of their fee.
Old Aug 24th 2015, 11:18 am
Was in Canada, now home.

Thanks Editha you are a minefield of financial info

That doesn't mean what you think it means, but thanks for the intended compliment!
Old Aug 24th 2015, 11:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Pica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Editha
I think the Christie's website is for real. Since the quote of £485 is for a live-in carer doing a 7 day a week, 24 hours a day job --- the actual hourly rate is £2.89, and it is a self-employed rate which means the worker has to find their national insurance stamp, has no pension, sick pay etc.
Added to that the worker will also have to sort out their own yearly accounts for HMRC
Old Aug 24th 2015, 1:32 pm
Forum Regular

Hennie and I were just discussing the food issue Editha. To be safe, I would factor that in as an expense. Also with tax - not being sure if tax is payable on full income and reclaimed at year end I'd rather deduct 20% off the full. NI looks a bit more complicated - not sure if it is £2.80 per week or 9% so allowing the 9% for now. There will be expenses that I don't think of or underestimate so any extras will go to covering them.

Yep Pica ... that could be a whole new learning process .

Ok, .... what did I say ? Seems I will have to learn British English very quickly. It would be pretty sad being de-citizened for being insulting .
Old Aug 24th 2015, 1:36 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

If you are paying tax on a self-employed basis, you don't pay any until you've made your tax return. If on an employed basis, the PAYE system ensures the tax allowance is applied before tax is deducted.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.