Car Insurance

Old Jan 3rd 2018, 8:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Richard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car Insurance

Would anyone know if coming from another left-hand side drive country (i.e., Australia, New Zealand) makes it easier to exchange licenses vs most of the rest of the world?
Old Jan 4th 2018, 12:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Richard8655
Would anyone know if coming from another left-hand side drive country (i.e., Australia, New Zealand) makes it easier to exchange licenses vs most of the rest of the world?
It is not a question of easier or harder. Either you can exchange a license or you cannot. The link I gave in #13 above takes you through a check list.
Old Jan 4th 2018, 12:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Richard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic
It is not a question of easier or harder. Either you can exchange a license or you cannot. The link I gave in #13 above takes you through a check list.
I missed that link, thanks. But I do see most of the designated countries are left side drive, so there does seem to be preference if from one of them.
Old Jan 4th 2018, 6:42 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Richard8655
I missed that link, thanks. But I do see most of the designated countries are left side drive, so there does seem to be preference if from one of them.
Makes sense though, it's not easy going from right hand drive to left and that's going to impact on your driving skills.
Old Jan 4th 2018, 8:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Makes sense though, it's not easy going from right hand drive to left and that's going to impact on your driving skills.
Exactly. That’s what I was thinking they had in mind.
Old Jan 6th 2018, 7:02 am
Just Joined

capo1211 is an unknown quantity at this point

When I returned my policy was high but I got a substantial refund after gaining employment. Funnily enough when I added my foreign spouse to my policy recently I also got a refund, I had expected it to go up. What will hit you hardest is residency and NCB if you didn't have a policy while abroad.
Old Jan 6th 2018, 11:33 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by capo1211
When I returned my policy was high but I got a substantial refund after gaining employment. Funnily enough when I added my foreign spouse to my policy recently I also got a refund, I had expected it to go up. What will hit you hardest is residency and NCB if you didn't have a policy while abroad.
Some UK insurers will accept your NCB from another country, but by no means all. Our insurer did let us use our NCB but as well as our insurance renewal document, which clearly showed the number of NCB years, we had to write to our Australian insurer for a letter specifically stating that we'd cancelled that policy. No idea why that was an issue, but we did it because a 60% NCB was well worth it!
Old Jan 6th 2018, 12:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Some UK insurers will accept your NCB from another country, but by no means all. Our insurer did let us use our NCB but as well as our insurance renewal document, which clearly showed the number of NCB years, we had to write to our Australian insurer for a letter specifically stating that we'd cancelled that policy. No idea why that was an issue, but we did it because a 60% NCB was well worth it!
That was the same with our son last year, he had to provide both the NCB letter from his US insurer plus a copy of his insurance certificate which actually looked as if it was current as the expiry date on it had not passed. I took it simply to be a cross reference between the NCB letter, which had the policy number as a reference, and the actual certificate he had been using.
Old Jul 28th 2018, 11:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond repute

I have been insured through my own company here in the US for 23 years. No claims. Does anyone know if US company insurance records carry forward and count towards new private insurance in the UK?

Oh and is there VAT on used car vehicles.

Last edited by Bud the Wiser; Jul 28th 2018 at 11:25 pm. Reason: eta